CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 11 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 11 Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:01 pmSo "the spanish song" this time hails from Spain, "the english song from South America" is then either from Falkland Islands or Guyana.
Thanks for the typ on revising expectations regarding the song that strucked me at first listening, you are probably right.
The vocals on intermission song remind me of Chris Cornell and there's a "religious" song on here as well. Actually all featured songs are excellent. How about you wouldn't disclose 'em at all? We could listen to them until the end of the world.
Yes, the Spanish song is genuinely Spanish, but the 'English song from South America' isn't from as far-off-the-beaten-track as you su-jested. :lol:
I do dig deep but i don't think i have anything from either of those particular exotic locales in my collection.
I hear the Cornell comparison you mentioned on the intermission track, the singer's got a similar register & tone, but (like most mere humans) not the same range. This guy usually sings in a far more aggressive style than on this particular track, but his laid-back approach here really appeals.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Is it time for me to spill the details or is some guessing still being undertaken?
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

I’m personnally really after knowing who’s behinf most of those songs…
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:48 am Is it time for me to spill the details or is some guessing still being undertaken?
I'll hardly uncover anything else, but soon after you will post the tracklist I will slacken and quit deep listening here. Maybe you could leave it at that for a little while?

And yeah, I went as deep as I could regarding Falklands and Guyana - MA and RYM - so not really deep. Have found one band that could fit "so bad it's actually good" criteria, and one death metal band, but have yet to test them properly.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Okay, so here's the full unexpurgated track-list. I skewed pretty hard toward the obscure so the fact that a quarter of the songs were spotted correctly is rather impressive.

01. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
02. The Illinois Speed Press - Get In The Wind (Instrumental Version) (from the 'Get In The Wind' Promo 7" (1969))
03. Reckless - Victim Of Time (from the 'Reckless' LP (1980))
04. The Enemies - Products Of The Street (from the 'Products Of The Street' Mini LP (1980))
05. Angels Of Dresden - Go Down Swingin' (from the 'Angels Of Dresden' EP (2016))
06. Fuerza - Un Lugar (from the 'Como Un Angel' 7" (1974))
07. Manne Olander Following - The Misanthrope (from the 'The Misanthrope' EP (2020))
08. Idol Rumors - Everlasting Love (from the Various Artists 'WDBR-FM 104 : Central Illinois Rocks' compilation LP (1983))
09. Kill Whitey - Fool (from the 'The Heart & The Hand' LP (1990))
10. Axis - Armageddon (from the 'It's A Circus World' LP (1978))
11. Down - Where I'm Going (from the 'Down II : A Bustle In Your Hedgerow' LP (2002))
12. Pagans - What's This Shit Called Love? (from the 'Street Where Nobody Lives' 7" (1978))
13. Hellcats - You Make It Swell (from the 'Hellcats' Mini LP (1982))
14. Homer - Love's Coming (from the 'Homer' [aka 'Grown In USA'] LP (1972))
15. Escape - Escápate (from the 'No es solo Sexo' 7" (1989)) [Columbian band. Not sure if this is the same version as on the recent anthology]
16. Lacewing - Epicycle (The Storm Part 1) (from the 'Lacewing' LP (1971))
17. Headswim - Soup (from the 'Flood' LP (1994))
18. Hydra - Land Of Money (from the 'Land Of Money' LP (1975))
19. S.O.D. - Rock You Like A Hurricane (from the Various Artists 'A Tribute To Scorpions' compilation LP (2000))

This episode rose to #04 on Mixcloud's Hard Rock chart & #13 in Heavy Metal, #17 in Psychedelic & #26 in Punk. As always, your support & interest is greatly appreciated. If anyone has queries about the bands/tracks featured, feel free to ask. It pleases me that folks don't seem to be finding the mixing of these particular styles problematic. Apparently people are more accepting of my blurring genre lines than might have been expected, which to my mind is a good thing.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:30 amAnd yeah, I went as deep as I could regarding Falklands and Guyana - MA and RYM - so not really deep. Have found one band that could fit "so bad it's actually good" criteria, and one death metal band, but have yet to test them properly.
That's some impressively niche investigation Nenad. I hope your tenacity & optimism yields enjoyable results.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:26 am Okay, so here's the full unexpurgated track-list. I skewed pretty hard toward the obscure so the fact that a quarter of the songs were spotted correctly is rather impressive.

01. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
02. The Illinois Speed Press - Get In The Wind (Instrumental Version) (from the 'Get In The Wind' Promo 7" (1969))
03. Reckless - Victim Of Time (from the 'Reckless' LP (1980))
04. The Enemies - Products Of The Street (from the 'Products Of The Street' Mini LP (1980))
05. Angels Of Dresden - Go Down Swingin' (from the 'Angels Of Dresden' EP (2016))
06. Fuerza - Un Lugar (from the 'Como Un Angel' 7" (1974))
07. Manne Olander Following - The Misanthrope (from the 'The Misanthrope' EP (2020))
08. Idol Rumors - Everlasting Love (from the Various Artists 'WDBR-FM 104 : Central Illinois Rocks' compilation LP (1983))
09. Kill Whitey - Fool (from the 'The Heart & The Hand' LP (1990))
10. Axis - Armageddon (from the 'It's A Circus World' LP (1978))
11. Down - Where I'm Going (from the 'Down II : A Bustle In Your Hedgerow' LP (2002))
12. Pagans - What's This Shit Called Love? (from the 'Street Where Nobody Lives' 7" (1978))
13. Hellcats - You Make It Swell (from the 'Hellcats' Mini LP (1982))
14. Homer - Love's Coming (from the 'Homer' [aka 'Grown In USA'] LP (1972))
15. Escape - Escápate (from the 'No es solo Sexo' 7" (1989)) [Columbian band. Not sure if this is the same version as on the recent anthology]
16. Lacewing - Epicycle (The Storm Part 1) (from the 'Lacewing' LP (1971))
17. Headswim - Soup (from the 'Flood' LP (1994))
18. Hydra - Land Of Money (from the 'Land Of Money' LP (1975))
19. S.O.D. - Rock You Like A Hurricane (from the Various Artists 'A Tribute To Scorpions' compilation LP (2000))

This episode rose to #04 on Mixcloud's Hard Rock chart & #13 in Heavy Metal, #17 in Psychedelic & #26 in Punk. As always, your support & interest is greatly appreciated. If anyone has queries about the bands/tracks featured, feel free to ask. It pleases me that folks don't seem to be finding the mixing of these particular styles problematic. Apparently people are more accepting of my blurring genre lines than might have been expected, which to my mind is a good thing.
Graham, what a selection. You're becoming more and more demanding. Where would that end? :wink:

As always, I fancy the source of dialogues as well. That "bukkake room" for instance :lol: .
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:29 pmGraham, what a selection. You're becoming more and more demanding. Where would that end? :wink: As always, I fancy the source of dialogues as well. That "bukkake room" for instance :lol: .
Granted, that was a fairly challenging selection of tunes overall, though i'd thought some of those songs that went unidentified might have been too easy, like the S.O.D., Angels Of Dresden (ex-TKO/Thrasher/War Babies) & Down (ex-Pantera/Crowbar/Eyehategod) tracks. In addition, Axis was Vinnie Appice's pre-Black Sabbath band & Homer were pre-Ultra, so i thought they might be well enough known that they'd ring a bell with someone.
As for those samples, check your PMs. :wink:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:35 am
Noisenik wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:29 pmGraham, what a selection. You're becoming more and more demanding. Where would that end? :wink: As always, I fancy the source of dialogues as well. That "bukkake room" for instance :lol: .
Granted, that was a fairly challenging selection of tunes overall, though i'd thought some of those songs that went unidentified might have been too easy, like the S.O.D., Angels Of Dresden (ex-TKO/Thrasher/War Babies) & Down (ex-Pantera/Crowbar/Eyehategod) tracks. In addition, Axis was Vinnie Appice's pre-Black Sabbath band & Homer were pre-Ultra, so i thought they might be well enough known that they'd ring a bell with someone.
As for those samples, check your PMs. :wink:
Big Cheers again, Graham.

To my ears, this may be the most successful mix, if I forget the first one. Also one of the most listened to. So many killer tracks picked. I am really enjoying practically all of them, but as usual some stand out more than others. Reckless, Axis, Fuerza, Manne Olander, Angels Of Dresden, and Lacewing, of course. And I wonder, these Idol Rumors, were they related to Slauter Xstroyes in some way? Songwritingwise they could be, one doesn't hear many ideas of this kind. Would love to hear more stuff like this.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:41 amTo my ears, this may be the most successful mix, if I forget the first one. Also one of the most listened to. So many killer tracks picked. I am really enjoying practically all of them, but as usual some stand out more than others. Reckless, Axis, Fuerza, Manne Olander, Angels Of Dresden, and Lacewing, of course. And I wonder, these Idol Rumors, were they related to Slauter Xstroyes in some way? Songwritingwise they could be, one doesn't hear many ideas of this kind. Would love to hear more stuff like this.
Thanks very much for the feedback & kind words Nenad, and i'm glad you seem to have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this particular episode.
As far as i'm aware there's no connection between Idol Rumors & Slauter Xstroyes, though both bands did hail from the state of Illinois so it's possible they were aware of each other. Idol Rumors were a trio formed by the Ellison brothers, Rusty & Jeff, and the song i featured was their only vinyl appearance.
By 1985 I.R. was over & the brothers had formed a new band called Chosen Stranger who appeared on the 1988 'Underground Metal' comp LP, released 2 EPs & a pair of 45s too. They've just had an anthology of their stuff released on Roxx Record.s (https://www.discogs.com/release/2683415 ... n-Stranger) Roxx is a Xian label, so i guess CS were a Christian band, at least to some extent. Haven't heard them yet, so i've no idea if they sound anything like I.R..
Idol Rumors other member, bassist Micky Shomidie, also kept playing post I.R., recording with Glam/Hard Rockers Tuff Luck in the late 80s & Nasty Nasty in the early 90s.
Hope this info is of use/interest.