CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 10 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Noisenik

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 10 Now Available!

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:09 amNicely done Nenad, the job's halfway done so I've updated things accordingly. Funny it was all the 70s songs identified first
Well, these were the easiest to identify, the way Khnud is masterful at. The hardcore punk track with muddied recording production is bigger challenge, as it is difficult to define the language, let alone, what is he singing, so it is absurdly obscured. The rest is probably de facto obscure. Unless one hasn't heard the proper releases...

Is the track with "Time Will Tell" chorus by CHARIOT?
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

This one deserves its own post.

Track no.7, from Franco-Canadian = Quebecian group

CORBEAU - Quelle Sorte d' Amour off their 1981 album Fou.

I guess Tomas found that out as well.

btw. le corbeau = a raven.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:32 pm This one deserves its own post. Track no.7, from Franco-Canadian = Quebecian group CORBEAU - Quelle Sorte d' Amour off their 1981 album Fou. I guess Tomas found that out as well. btw. le corbeau = a raven.
Nice. :D That was a tough one. Corbeau were related to the band Offenbach who you may be familiar with. After splitting in the mid-80s they returned in the 90s (without the female singer) for a couple of albums under the name Corbach. Sorry though, that 'Time Will Tell' song isn't by Chariot.
Last edited by bigfootkit on Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:08 pm The hardcore punk track with muddied recording production is bigger challenge, as it is difficult to define the language, let alone, what is he singing, so it is absurdly obscured.
File that one under 'grunge'. It may help.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:45 am
Noisenik wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:08 pm The hardcore punk track with muddied recording production is bigger challenge, as it is difficult to define the language, let alone, what is he singing, so it is absurdly obscured.
File that one under 'grunge'. It may help.
Still a very hard one, like searching for a needle in hay. It was recorded in a 2m X 2m soundproof chamber.

Yes, I am familiar with Offenbach, as well as with Harmonium, Cano, Maneige, Conventum and others.

I think this is it from my side.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:14 am Still a very hard one, like searching for a needle in hay. It was recorded in a 2m X 2m soundproof chamber.
Yes, I am familiar with Offenbach, as well as with Harmonium, Cano, Maneige, Conventum and others.
I think this is it from my side.
It's a live version, thus the somewhat haphazard sound, but that rawness works better for me than on the slightly more polished studio version.
Impressive Quebecois Prog knowledge BTW. It's an interesting sub-sub-scene but i've yet to delve in so deeply.
I'll post the tracklisting for this episode on Monday unless folks want a few more days to identify any of the remaining mystery tunes. :wink:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

As promised, (but a day late :oops:), here's the complete tracklist for episode 10:

01. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
02. Blue Phantom - Diodo (from the 'Distortions' LP (1970))
03. Stepmothers - All Systems Go (from the 'All Systems Go' 12" EP (1981))
04. Mirage - Blind Fury (from the Various Artists 'Notepad Productions Volume I' compilation LP (1984))
05. Rabbit - Too Much Rock 'n' Roll (from the 'Too Much Rock 'n' Roll' LP (1976))
06. Paw - No Such Luck (from the 'Livid Festival, Brisbane, 1995' Triple J radio broadcast (1995))
07. Corbeau - Quelle Sorte d'Amour (from the 'Fou' LP (1981))
08. Viper - Like A Thief (from the '96.5 WCMF Session' radio broadcast (1980))
09. Rain - Me & My Woman (from the '1971...The Lost Album' LP (1971))
10. Black Magic - Crossfire (from the 'Spellbound' 12" picture disc EP (1983))
11. Gryphon - The Unquiet Grave (from the 'Gryphon' LP (1973))
12. Alice Cooper - Long Way To Go (from the 'Love It To Death' LP (1971))
13. McKitty - Time Will Tell (from the 'McKitty' Demo (1980))
14. Deadheads - Somebody Along The Way (from the 'This One Goes To 11' LP (2018))
15. Spectre - The Black Jewel (from the 'Drifter' 7" (2022))
16. The Victims - Television Addict (from the 'Television Addict' 7" (1977))
17. Purgatory - Sad Sketches (from the 'Who Cares?' Demo (1989))

This month's 'no-prize' goes to Nenad for his sterling efforts in identifying the songs from this mix. You're getting pretty good at this 'metal-detecting' business my friend. Thanks as always to everyone who gave it a listen for your interest & support.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Sorry for missing this episode, I've been swamped lately. Hope to catch the next one!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:40 pmSorry for missing this episode, I've been swamped lately. Hope to catch the next one!
It's still available to stream if you want to catch up at a later time Kristian. I know how it goes though, 'real life' has a nasty habit of intruding & stealing time away from the important stuff in life like under-the-radar music from yesteryear. :D A pity though as your particular fields of interest & expertise synched up pretty well with the unidentified songs this time around, you might well have mopped up all those remaining songs.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:44 amThis month's 'no-prize' goes to Nenad for his sterling efforts in identifying the songs from this mix. You're getting pretty good at this 'metal-detecting' business my friend. Thanks as always to everyone who gave it a listen for your interest & support.
Cheers, Graham.

With absence of Khnud I managed to set my personal record, LOL.

In theory I should know Deadheads, because it is relatively new band on HRR. Paw I only heard about prior, didn't know they belong to grunge stable, but did go to check them, after I was given heads up. The song, video with the dogs was made for, is pretty good, though.

Now I only fancy the background of the spoken word cuts, pm would suit me.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:26 am Cheers, Graham.
With absence of Khnud I managed to set my personal record, LOL.
In theory I should know Deadheads, because it is relatively new band on HRR. Paw I only heard about prior, didn't know they belong to grunge stable, but did go to check them, after I was given heads up. The song, video with the dogs was made for, is pretty good, though.
Now I only fancy the background of the spoken word cuts, pm would suit me.
I'd deliberately picked a lot of uber-obscure stuff this time because Khnud had made it look far too easy last episode, so your work in identifying the songs you did was made much harder than usual as a result. Fine sleuthing.
I stumbled across Deadheads by complete accident & couldn't believe that such a great little band had put out 3 albums without coming to my attention. I bought all 3 straight away & was not disappointed, they ought to be far better known.
Paw were a terrific band who seemed poised for a time to become a big band, but their sound was probably too heavy for general consumption, and their more experimental 2nd LP seemed to turn off a large proportion of those who loved their pummeling debut. Everything they did is worth exploring, but their first album 'Dragline' is the jewel in their catalogue. Is 'rural bludgeon' a genre? :lol: If it was, that record would be ground zero. Makes most metal sound twee & polite.
A little quick trivia on McKitty who were a short-lived UK based trio featuring Jamaican born singer/guitarist Donovan McKitty (ex-Legs Diamond), former Dirty Tricks bassist Terry Horbury & ex-Pat Travers drummer Nicko McBrain. Good pedigree.
The song i featured was set to be their debut single but their record deal fell through at the last moment & Horbury left to join Vardis instead. He was replaced by Charlie Tumahi of Be Bop Deluxe & the band carried on for a while but ultimately went their separate ways without releasing anything. Tumahi wound up in another 'supergroup' called Tandoori Cassette with ex-members of SAHB & Jethro Tull, McKitty ultimately joined reggae band Steel Pulse & McBrain of course joined Trust before finding his home in Iron Maiden.
A McKitty anthology seems a long-overdue no-brainer & they apparently recorded a bunch of material to choose from. All former members bar Nicko are dead now, so it would be a nice way to pay tribute to them to finally release their archive material. High Roller are you listening? :D
I'll PM you the origins of those samples, or at least the ones i can remember.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:38 amI'd deliberately picked a lot of uber-obscure stuff this time because Khnud had made it look far too easy last episode, so your work in identifying the songs you did was made much harder than usual as a result. Fine sleuthing.
I stumbled across Deadheads by complete accident & couldn't believe that such a great little band had put out 3 albums without coming to my attention. I bought all 3 straight away & was not disappointed, they ought to be far better known.
Paw were a terrific band who seemed poised for a time to become a big band, but their sound was probably too heavy for general consumption, and their more experimental 2nd LP seemed to turn off a large proportion of those who loved their pummeling debut. Everything they did is worth exploring, but their first album 'Dragline' is the jewel in their catalogue. Is 'rural bludgeon' a genre? :lol: If it was, that record would be ground zero. Makes most metal sound twee & polite.
A little quick trivia on McKitty who were a short-lived UK based trio featuring Jamaican born singer/guitarist Donovan McKitty (ex-Legs Diamond), former Dirty Tricks bassist Terry Horbury & ex-Pat Travers drummer Nicko McBrain. Good pedigree.
The song i featured was set to be their debut single but their record deal fell through at the last moment & Horbury left to join Vardis instead. He was replaced by Charlie Tumahi of Be Bop Deluxe & the band carried on for a while but ultimately went their separate ways without releasing anything. Tumahi wound up in another 'supergroup' called Tandoori Cassette with ex-members of SAHB & Jethro Tull, McKitty ultimately joined reggae band Steel Pulse & McBrain of course joined Trust before finding his home in Iron Maiden.
A McKitty anthology seems a long-overdue no-brainer & they apparently recorded a bunch of material to choose from. All former members bar Nicko are dead now, so it would be a nice way to pay tribute to them to finally release their archive material. High Roller are you listening? :D
I'll PM you the origins of those samples, or at least the ones i can remember.
Extremely interesting information, meticulously prepared, as always.

All that McKitty info made me a calf staring into newly painted door. McKitty as a band are listed on NMB MA page, but that Donovan McKitty isn't featured in RYM, neither at Steel Pulse, nor at Legs Diamond, so you really shared precious insights.

I will certainly made further checks on all stuff featured.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:17 am Extremely interesting information, meticulously prepared, as always.
All that McKitty info made me a calf staring into newly painted door. McKitty as a band are listed on NMB MA page, but that Donovan McKitty isn't featured in RYM, neither at Steel Pulse, nor at Legs Diamond, so you really shared precious insights.
I will certainly made further checks on all stuff featured.
Donovan's musical CV is extremely varied as you can see here: https://www.discogs.com/artist/457727-D ... lter_anv=0 I don't know if he recorded with Steel Pulse or was 'just' their live guitarist, (from 2008–2015 according to wikipedia), but his time in Legs Diamond was before they got signed.
He had to step aside due to a medical ailment just as they were about to sign their deal, but was good enough to teach the incoming guitarist, Roger Romeo, all his guitar parts before bowing out. He's featured on several remastered demo songs on the expanded 2-CD reissue of 'Legs Diamond' on Rock Candy Records & LD main man Michael Prince speaks of McKitty in glowing terms in the sleeve notes.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Returning to this thread I'm reminded of 2 recent acquisitions:
20230524_074527~2.jpg
20230524_074527~2.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1715 times
For whatever reason I never see these early Alice Cooper records that are not damaged in some unacceptable way, if nothing else the vinyl is usually just scratched or cover is worn out hard, so I was pleased to find "Love it To Death" in decent enough shape to actually buy it.

I noticed the quip about 70's down under Punk knowledge and was reminded that just this last month I heard the first lp by The Saints for the very first time. Holy Shit I was blown away. This copy came out of a local friends collection and he had never listened to it :shock: . Normally I'm not wild to keep a record with this kind of ring wear but he gifted me the album so it is a keeper. Also keeping the $2.75 price sticker on there since I like that it is dated December 1979! This album is such a blaster. Not a weak moment on it and I might be swayed to listen to a lot more old punk rock, if only it was all as good as this album is.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:00 pm Returning to this thread I'm reminded of 2 recent acquisitions:

For whatever reason I never see these early Alice Cooper records that are not damaged in some unacceptable way, if nothing else the vinyl is usually just scratched or cover is worn out hard, so I was pleased to find "Love it To Death" in decent enough shape to actually buy it.

I noticed the quip about 70's down under Punk knowledge and was reminded that just this last month I heard the first lp by The Saints for the very first time. Holy Shit I was blown away. This copy came out of a local friends collection and he had never listened to it :shock: . Normally I'm not wild to keep a record with this kind of ring wear but he gifted me the album so it is a keeper. Also keeping the $2.75 price sticker on there since I like that it is dated December 1979! This album is such a blaster. Not a weak moment on it and I might be swayed to listen to a lot more old punk rock, if only it was all as good as this album is.
Nice scores Rob, congrats. I'm thinking that those early Alice records arelikely hard to find in good shape as they were initially sold to a really young audience who didn't treat them with the care they deserved, but did play them til he grooves wore out. A lot of those records had gimmicky sleeves with added ephemera like the paper panties in 'School's Out' & the perforated wallet photos & billion dollar bill in 'B$B', so finding those complete and in good condition must be tricky now after half a century.
I really like the flavour of a lot of the early Aussie Punk stuff, they definitely had their own thing going on for a while. Elements of it feel very familiar to those of us who grew up listening to AC/DC & Rose Tattoo, with that similar no-bullshit attitude usually front & centre.
For me the early pre-Hardcore Punk scene worldwide was similar to the NWoBHM in that the 45s & EPs were often the best records while truly satisfying full length LPs were far scarcer. It makes it that much more exciting though when you do find something like the Dead Boys 'Young, Loud & Snotty' that delivers from start to finish. I don't think i've heard that particular Saints LP, only one of the later records with Algy Ward (R.I.P.) on bass, so i'll need to check it out. As always, thanks for the steer.