CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 10 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Kraignoss666

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 10 Now Available!

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Coming from a punk/HC backgrounf before going into metal, I can confirm that there are plenty of absolute KILLER records on those styles, that can 200% fit to heavy/NWOBHM/hard rock sensibilities (the second Saints LP is also an amazing thing in my world). Would be hard to give you an exhaustive list as such things don’t exist (so much stuff that can appeal to different tastes), but maybe that could be a good idea to have a thread here about those punk records that can make metal freaks freak out?.. What do you think about this?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:31 am Coming from a punk/HC backgrounf before going into metal, I can confirm that there are plenty of absolute KILLER records on those styles, that can 200% fit to heavy/NWOBHM/hard rock sensibilities (the second Saints LP is also an amazing thing in my world). Would be hard to give you an exhaustive list as such things don’t exist (so much stuff that can appeal to different tastes), but maybe that could be a good idea to have a thread here about those punk records that can make metal freaks freak out?.. What do you think about this?
A separate thread for this discussion sounds a good idea to me. I hung around with a bunch of punks a lot in my teens, but they were mainly into the narrow UK 80s anarcho-punk scene at that time (Crass/Conflict/Icons/Rudi Peni/Flux etc), so i didn't get to hear a lot of the punk stuff i now like until far later on.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:31 am (Edited down)
(the second The Saints LP is also an amazing thing in my world). Would be hard to give you an exhaustive list as such things don’t exist (so much stuff that can appeal to different tastes), but maybe that could be a good idea to have a thread here about those punk records that can make metal freaks freak out?.. What do you think about this?
This could be possible BUT your first sentence here highlights such a difficulty to showcase just the "best". The Saints 2nd album is not amazing to me. By this one I would call it 1/2 amazing :D. The other 1/2 showcases how they had already quickly left behind that catchy, high energy punk rock for indie rock & just plain rock. So basically I'm not very interested in such half measures.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Aww, great. The tips are coming. Will surely check both Saints albums. And I already know some Dead Boys. Sonic Reducer!!!!

This separate thread should be titled "77-79 punk music for Corroseum Metalheads". Or something.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Thanx for your reactions guys! I kinda like the « 77-79 punk music for Corroseum Metalheads », which could help to not derivate in every way possible (that for example could avoid the second Saints LP from such a list, but come on, it still is a killer of an album :wink: ). It could also take away the obvious connexion with the 80ies punk/HC scene (Misfits everyone, blablabla, even though early Black Flag has to me very much in common with the rawest forms of metal before and after them). And we should also prevent ourselves from listing all the proto-whatever-you-want stuff from the 70ies (but maybe some pre-77 punk stuff could also be of acquired taste, like Pure Hell for exemple). Looks like we’re on a right way, don’t we?
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Also pretty funny, as it seems I crossed the same but opposite path to the ones you mentionnes. I started later to enjoy metal records, and when I started digging this whole world, I was first into listening to records I could 100% love. And even though I found some (thanx to the Corro forum!), some I found half good, others not good, but coming back to some, I started liking them more… Guess there is some similarities in the process and in how huge the metal and punk scenes are, but it sure is a safer thing to focus only on 1st class records (like a top 5 or something for example, which are the kind of lists I enjoyed the most during my first hours on the Corro forum).