Tape trading in year 2007

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Noisenik

Tape trading in year 2007

Post by Noisenik »

Since mp3s are only mp3s after all*, I wonder what is your attitude towards dealing with cassettes / tapes / MCs nowadays. I'd like to know if tape as a medium is completely abandoned and would any reviving only be a vain trial and sign of incurable nostalgia or could its revival develop firmer base. Perhaps you could also recommend me with which people is worth doing trades today (being enough serious, etc.).

*here referring to compression of demotapes into mp3s for the sake of transmission ...
I am ... the One you warned me of
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

I stopped somewhere in 2004. :?
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

I've tape traded for over a decade and still do, though not as much as I used too. That's partly due to time constraints, partly due to lack of tape traders and mostly due to not finding much on people's lists these days that I need.

There wouldn't be a tape trader in the world who has a collection as broad and deep as what can be downloaded from the internet. That said, I've never downloaded a thing in my life.

I certainly wouldn't say tapes are obsolete these days. They seem to be the new 'cult format' for releasing dodgy black metal recordings, though I guess they always have been to a point. And there continues to be a multitude of bands (mine included) who release demos on tape rather than CD.

By the way, Noisenik, feel free to send me an email at shacklesofdeath@hotmail.com if you're interested in tape trading.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I certainly am interested in tt. However, I suspect I am not prepared enough at the moment, though I certainly look forward to give the whole issue more prospect. Maybe it wouldn't be bad, if you'd do it first, so that I see what you're after. My supply of demos is rather limited. And I still haven't set up any priorities on any "front". Activities are not much planned here. Would Grippiud fell in category of dodgy BM releases? Shackles are releasing demos on tapes, right? Would you say, Australia is more pro- regarding tapes?
Last edited by Noisenik on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
BestialLust

Post by BestialLust »

I used to send a package around every ten days or so until recently due to some factors, including the following:

- Traders: I mostly look for old Death Metal, and I find that those who are looking for the same are more interested in accumulating a big list rather than music to listen to. This is easily detected when on some occasions I have received packages of tapes with completely inaudible volume levels which all end up in the bin. Those with obscure recordings in their original form, or at least with high-quality dubs, have presumably stopped trading

- Internet: Think what you will, but there is no point in trading whatsoever when better quality rips of albums are available on the internet via blog sites and MP3 sections on message boards.

- Space: I'd much rather have tapes out in a reachable place rather than boxed up somewhere, and this is difficult to maintain. Having ten or so recordings on a DVDR is a lot more practical to store.

- Attitude: I am generally content with what I have in my collection on whatever format to continue any enthusiasm for receiving bad quality tapes.
IronBloodBlasphemy

Post by IronBloodBlasphemy »

I still do occasionally. However, like most people my time is limited. I'm down to like 3-4 regular traders that I trust and that have stuff I actually need.
I should say that if I like something, I always track down an original and toss the cdr/tape dub in the trash, or pass it on to someone else.
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Noisenik, I wouldn't say Australia is any more pro-tapes than anywhere else in the world, plenty of bands both good (eg. Assaulter, Murkrat) and bad (too many to mention) release their demos on CD these days.

Shackles release our demos on tape because that's how I've always considered demos to be released. We do have songs online though and will release CDs eventually, so we're not complete Luddites.

Grippiud certainly doesn't fall into the 'dodgy BM release' category. They fall into the category of quality, obscure, underground music.
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

I stopped tapetrading many many years ago. I never was into MP3 trading. If I want to have something, I try to hunt for the original. Today I am patient.
We praise the blood that metal brings
jman

Post by jman »

do it occassionally, but it's too easy to just rip something onto the computer than sending a tape (especially with US postal service rates increased now! argh)
msp

Post by msp »

I don't have the time for it anymore due to a multitude of factors (work, relationships, tape deck packing up leaving only the tape walkman).

It was good fun and I got to trade with people from all over the world. I always had a sense of excitement coming home and finding a padded envelope on the doormat with 2-4 C90's chock full of demos/lives/rehersals from bands from far flung corners of the globe.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

msp wrote:It was good fun and I got to trade with people from all over the world. I always had a sense of excitement coming home and finding a padded envelope on the doormat with 2-4 C90's chock full of demos/lives/rehersals from bands from far flung corners of the globe.
The memories almost brings tears to my eyes..

Tears of METAL of course! :evil:
LuciferSteele

Post by LuciferSteele »

i don't even own a cassette player any more. so trading is out of the question i guess... :P

seriously, i can see no reason in trading cassettes anymore. the means is prone to damage. for how long could a tape hold? sensitive to heat, humidity and time itself... the tape deteriorates year after year. plus its difficult to listen to. no indication of time, tracks etc. i kicked off my "heavy metal career" based on cassettes but i have to admit that i am happy that i don't have to listen to them anymore...

with the mp3 compression you can exchange files in a flash plus you can find almost anything on the internet nowadays. plus with simple programs and techniques you can digitally enhance the poor or worn cassette sound with outstanding results
FINAL AXE
TYRANT
CROSS
ZIONS ABYSS
STEEL PROPHET
SALEM SPADE
KINGS RANSOM
and the story continues...
www.steel-legacy.com