CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 9 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 9 : A Gathering Of Sharks (Feb 2023)

Cult Of The Underdog has been innovating in the world of podcast products for the last 18 months.
Their approach to developing episodic streaming musical compilations is led by science.
They examine thousands of potential ingredients before selecting the best performing 1 per cent, including 'hero ingredients' : Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Punk Rock, Psychedelia & Library Music.
Based on testing with thousands of subjects, all five feature in Cult Of The Underdog’s active formulas.
94% of test subjects who tried this service agreed the products were right for them.
Not tested on animals.

If you missed any of the previous episodes you can catch up here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 9 Now Available!

Post by Khnud »

Thank you for another hugely entertaining episode. A word of warning, just like Fozzie Bear, I'm on fire tonight! Here we go!

1. TSOL - In My Head
2. Hard to figure out this one due to the thick accent. Italian?
3. Jericho (Jones) - Ethiopia
4. Tantrum - Applaud The Winner
5. Bacchus Baracus - Big Bend
6. Obviously late 70's/ early 80's hard rock. This rules! But I don't know what it is, unfortunately.
7. Theme from Murphy's Mob (no, I don't have a slightest clue what this is as I'm not from the UK. But Yes Sir, I can google, I can google all night long)
8. Al Stewart - A Small Fruit Song
9. Golden Earring - She Flies On Strange Wings
10. Supersuckers - How to Maximize Your Kill Count
11. J.D. Blackfoot – Waiting To Be Born
12. Absolutely vicious mid 70's downer hard rock with a huge Sabbath influence. The Gods demand that you reveal what this is immediately!
13. Stone Dagger – Black Clad Rider
14. This one went below my prog/psych radar. Sounds like a mix between The Doors and Arthur Brown, not bad at all.
15. Warsaw Pakt – Safe And Warm
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Blimey Khnud, you weren't kidding when you said you were on fire! Very impressive detective work. The last few eps didn't have this many songs identified by the combined Corroseum brain trust put together then you waltz in and make it look far too easy straight away this time.
Just to keep things straight here is the tracklist with added dates/sources in case anyone wants/needs further info on the songs identified so far. Just 6 more to get folks:

01. ?
02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
03. T.S.O.L. - In My Head (from the 'Disappear' LP (2001))
04. ?
05. Jericho - Ethiopia (from the 'Jericho' LP (1972))
06. Tantrum - Applaud The Winner (from the 'Rather Be Rockin'' LP (1979))
07. Bacchus Baracus - Big Bend (from the 'All Art Is Theft' LP (2022))
08. The Outlaws - Long Gone (from the 'In The Eye Of The Storm' LP (1979))
09. Mike Moran - If We Stick Together (from the 'Murphy's Mob' TV show OST (1985))
10. Al Stewart - A Small Fruit Song (from the 'Zero She Files' LP (1970))
11. ?
12. Golden Earring - She Flies On Strange Wings (from the 'Seven Tears' LP (1971))
13. Supersuckers - How To Maximize Your Kill Count (from the 'La Mano Cornuda' LP (1994))
14. J.D. Blackfoot - Waiting To Be Born (from the 'The Ultimate Prophecy' LP (1970))
15. ?
16. Stone Dagger - Black Clad Rider (from the 'The Siege Of Jerusalem' 7" (2013))
17. ?
18. Warsaw Pakt - Safe & Warm (from the 'Safe & Warm' 7" (1977))
Last edited by bigfootkit on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

:evil: Spielverderber!!!

You didn't let me to add that one track that I knew. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Graham, big cheers again for your great efforts. I hope you will persist with this, at least as long as possible.
Khnud wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:48 pm Thank you for another hugely entertaining episode. A word of warning, just like Fozzie Bear, I'm on fire tonight! Here we go!

1. TSOL - In My Head
2. Hard to figure out this one due to the thick accent. Italian?
3. Jericho (Jones) - Ethiopia
4. Tantrum - Applaud The Winner
5. Bacchus Baracus - Big Bend
6. Obviously late 70's/ early 80's hard rock. This rules! But I don't know what it is, unfortunately.
7. Theme from Murphy's Mob (no, I don't have a slightest clue what this is as I'm not from the UK. But Yes Sir, I can google, I can google all night long)
8. Al Stewart - A Small Fruit Song
9. Golden Earring - She Flies On Strange Wings
10. Supersuckers - How to Maximize Your Kill Count
11. J.D. Blackfoot – Waiting To Be Born
12. Absolutely vicious mid 70's downer hard rock with a huge Sabbath influence. The Gods demand that you reveal what this is immediately!
13. Stone Dagger – Black Clad Rider
14. This one went below my prog/psych radar. Sounds like a mix between The Doors and Arthur Brown, not bad at all.
15. Warsaw Pakt – Safe And Warm
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Noisenik wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:04 pm :evil: Spielverderber!!!
My apologies. Then again, I was on the bench during the last episodes, so I felt I had to get back into the game.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:04 pm You didn't let me to add that one track that I knew. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graham, big cheers again for your great efforts. I hope you will persist with this, at least as long as possible.
Don't worry Noisenik, i'm still very much enjoying the process of putting these episodes together so whilst that's still the case (and while people continue to listen & support it) there will continue to be new episodes for the forseeable future.
Bi-monthly episodes was a good choice, it gives me enough time inbetween to have a good think about content without being under any immediate pressure to come up with another one straight away. Hopefully that also helps keep the quality high too. Thanks as always for the support!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Excellent episode as usual. Cannot fill in the blanks either. I would have only recognized a couple & might have been hard pressed to name them anyway. #12 has me very curious who they are. Old 70's or new-ish? If it is a newer band they sure have the old ways dialled in!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:42 am Excellent episode as usual. Cannot fill in the blanks either. I would have only recognized a couple & might have been hard pressed to name them anyway. #12 has me very curious who they are. Old 70's or new-ish? If it is a newer band they sure have the old ways dialled in!
Glad you enjoyed the episode Rob, that mystery band were actually from the early 80's though the sound definitely harks back to the previous decade. You likely have it sitting in your collection.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

I recognized absolutely nothing!!!
Not enough Metal! :wink: Sorry! :D
That missing Song no. 8 could be 38 Special or The Outlaws or something like that.
And i liked that TANTRUM Song!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

tbieri wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:18 am I recognized absolutely nothing!!!
Not enough Metal! :wink: Sorry! :D
That missing Song no. 8 could be 38 Special or The Outlaws or something like that.
And i liked that TANTRUM Song!
You're absolutely correct, track 8 is indeed The Outlaws! 'Long Gone' from the 1979 'In The Eye Of The Storm' LP to be precise. From the period where they had Freddie Salem in their ranks, later of THE GODZ. They didn't always set their phazers to 'stun' but when they did...wow.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

So is it now time for me to reveal the few remaining unidentified tracks?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:43 am So is it now time for me to reveal the few remaining unidentified tracks?
Ya'! :lol:

Pls. do share sources of dialogues, esp. the one with journalist and musician. :lol:
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Here y'go, the complete unexpurgated tracklist with sources.

01. Paul Reade - The Flumps Theme (from the 'The Flumps' TV show OST (1976))
02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
03. T.S.O.L. - In My Head (from the 'Disappear' LP (2001))
04. The Moon - What A Child! (from the Various Artists '¡¡Viva el Rollo!!' compilation LP (1975))
05. Jericho - Ethiopia (from the 'Jericho' LP (1972))
06. Tantrum - Applaud The Winner (from the 'Rather Be Rockin'' LP (1979))
07. Bacchus Baracus - Big Bend (from the 'All Art Is Theft' LP (2022))
08. The Outlaws - Long Gone (from the 'In The Eye Of The Storm' LP (1979))
09. Mike Moran - If We Stick Together (from the 'Murphy's Mob' TV show OST (1985))
10. Al Stewart - A Small Fruit Song (from the 'Zero She Files' LP (1970))
11. Laurie Johnson - The New Avengers Theme (from the 'The New Avengers' TV show OST (1976))
12. Golden Earring - She Flies On Strange Wings (from the 'Seven Tears' LP (1971))
13. Supersuckers - How To Maximize Your Kill Count (from the 'La Mano Cornuda' LP (1994))
14. J.D. Blackfoot - Waiting To Be Born (from the 'The Ultimate Prophecy' LP (1970))
15. Task Force - Remember These Eyes (from the 'Forbidden Fruit' Mini LP (1982))
16. Stone Dagger - Black Clad Rider (from the 'The Siege Of Jerusalem' 7" (2013))
17. BullAngus - No Cream For The Maid (from the 'BullAngus' LP (1971))
18. Warsaw Pakt - Safe & Warm (from the 'Safe & Warm' 7" (1977))
Noisenik wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:50 pm Pls. do share sources of dialogues, esp. the one with journalist and musician. :lol:
I can't recall exactly where i sourced all of the samples as i've been amassing them for a long time, but the particular one you asked about was from a radio interview with the Supersuckers themselves which they then used to precede the song 'I Want The Drugs' on the 'The Evil Powers of Rock 'n' Roll' LP, but it seemed just as apt & amusing to repurpose it for 'How To Maximize Your Kill Count'. They actually reused it themselves on t-shirts for their silver anniversary shows some years back, the backprint read '25 Years Of Songs About Liquor, Women, Drugs & Killing'. :lol: A good quip is worth repeating.
The 'this is the rock capital of the world' dialogue came from an amateur documentary called 'Heavy Metal Picnic' about a 3 day party/festival called the 'Full Moon Jamboree' which some Metalheads threw in a field in Maryland (i think) in 1986 without bothering to get permits or permissions. A funny & interesting watch which includes brief footage of Pentagram & Obsessed. You can watch it here:
'You know we're not allowed to invoke the dead' came from an early '70s film called 'I Start Counting', and there's a Johnny Cash intro to 'Black Clad Rider' but i can no longer recall where i sourced the other samples from.
Hope this satisfies your curiosity.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Thanks to everyone who has supported COTU thus far. Next ep April 1st.