CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 8 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 8 Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

The final episode episode of Cult Of The Underdog's first complete calender year is now here! Thanks to everyone who has supported the stream in 2022 & i'm hoping you'll stay with us for more of the same in the new year.

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 8 : No Minor Vices (Dec 2022)

'No Minor Vices' recipe:

Ingredients:

Heavy Metal
Hard Rock
Psychedelia
Punk Rock
Library Music

Method:

Place ingredients in a blender. Blend ingedients.
Garnish with random samples & gratuitous swearing.
Pour mixture into jug. Pour contents of jug directly into ears.
Bon Appétit!

If you missed any of the previous episodes you can catch up here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
THRASHER BE

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 8 Now Available!

Post by THRASHER BE »

I'm early so I can grab all the easy ones!
Edit:

I'm not sure of the number (2 or 3) but entombed - to ride, shoot straight and speak the truth
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Graham, again big Cheers for the new episode. Wish I would have more time for them all. Will give it a few thorough listens during weekend.

EDIT: Phew, another tough one, but so well chosen and flowing nicely...
Last edited by Noisenik on Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
THRASHER BE

Post by THRASHER BE »

Turbonegro - I got erection

There is also a social distortion song in there.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

I olny really know VOIE DE FAIT, "Non coupable" from the "Ange ou Démon" album!
My preferred record from France!!!

Then the song with the Piano-Intro, i heard it just very lately. So i checked what i've downloaded and listened to one or two months ago. So i found out that this is FRJID PINK with "Earth Omen".

Is the "We Will Rock You"-Cover from VIPER?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

THRASHER BE wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:53 pm entombed - to ride, shoot straight and speak the truth
Turbonegro - I got erection
There is also a social distortion song in there.
tbieri wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:00 pm I olny really know VOIE DE FAIT, "Non coupable" from the "Ange ou Démon" album! My preferred record from France!!!
Then the song with the Piano-Intro, i heard it just very lately. So i checked what i've downloaded and listened to one or two months ago. So i found out that this is FRJID PINK with "Earth Omen".
Is the "We Will Rock You" Cover from VIPER?
Nice work chaps! That's a rather eclectic bunch of songs you quickly & correctly identified between you. Well done tbieri, I didn't think anyone would know that Frijid Pink song at all, you clearly do some deep delving if that one's been in your recent playlist.
Years ago, that was a record i took a blind punt on purely because of the cover art & song titles & i never regretted it. It's nothing groundbreaking, in fact in isolation several of the songs are fairly average fare, but when heard in full, in the intended running order, it's a very well played & cleverly paced record with bags of period charm. Sometimes the whole really is greater than the sum of it's parts.
After further listening & reading up on FJ i came to find that this LP was made by a drastically altered & quite short-lived line up of the band & is actually fairly unrepresentative of their overall output. A pity as i enjoy this LP far more than any of their other albums.
And no, sorry, that's not Viper.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

After SOCIAL DISTORTION comes

POPPY FAMILY with "There's No Blood In Bone" (This is from 1969????) Terry Jacks ... wow!

Intermission song:

THE TREES with "The Garden Of Jane Delawney"

Neither heavy, but so intense, powerful, "The Garden ..." so poignant...

I've have been listening to this album from time to time, but with closed ears, so it seems. :? :roll:

On the sidenote: Is that Tipper Gore dronning about dangerous Heavy Metal?

Also: That We Will Rock You cover, is this a real track? Sounds like a splicing of SLAYER and QUEEN singalongs...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:06 pm After SOCIAL DISTORTION comes POPPY FAMILY with "There's No Blood In Bone" (This is from 1969????) Terry Jacks ... wow!
Intermission song: THE TREES with "The Garden Of Jane Delawney"
Neither heavy, but so intense, powerful, "The Garden ..." so poignant...I've have been listening to this album from time to time, but with closed ears, so it seems. :? :roll:
On the sidenote: Is that Tipper Gore dronning about dangerous Heavy Metal?
Also: That We Will Rock You cover, is this a real track? Sounds like a splicing of SLAYER and QUEEN singalongs...
Well spotted noisenik! That Poppy Family song was a recent discovery for me too & i was similarly blown away to find Terry Jacks was involved. Presumably it's him doing the psychedelic geetar shredding, who would have thought it possible? Bar one other pretty good song, their 2 LPs don't have much to recommend them, but 'No Blood' is a gem.
Trees are an old favourite, though i usually favour their 2nd LP 'On The Shore' which is a fantastic fully realized record from beginning to end whereas the 1st LP is more tentative & embryonic. That said there are still some great moments like 'Garden' on that one too.
The droning woman wasn't actually Tipper Gore, it was the presenter from a US current affairs show called 20/20, though she was clearly channelling Tipper's schtick in the concerned parent 'satanic panic' style of her presentation. I thoight having Beavis 'reply' to her was apt. :lol:
You're absolutely right about the Slayer/Queen song. It's what 'the kids' call a 'mash-up' between 'Aggressive Perfector' & 'WWRY' as done by an interesting character called DJ Schmolli who put out a 4 song EP called 'Slayed, Chopped And Recycled : A Bastard Pop Tribute To Slayer' in 2009. It's an entertaining listen, very well-done & sure to upset die-hard Slayer purists. For those of us with a sense of humour & some idea of the skill required in making these hybrid songs it's big smiles & 'how-the-hell-did-he-do-that?' dropped jaws all the way. He's done a lot of these Metal mash-ups & mixes. The last one i heard incorporated Bad Religion's '21st century digital boy' & Lamb Of God's 'Redneck & somehow it worked a treat. You have to admire a mind that can somehow put such disparate parts together mentally & then go & make it a reality.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:48 am
Noisenik wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:06 pm On the sidenote: Is that Tipper Gore dronning about dangerous Heavy Metal?
The droning woman wasn't actually Tipper Gore, it was the presenter from a US current affairs show called 20/20, though she was clearly channelling Tipper's schtick in the concerned parent 'satanic panic' style of her presentation. I thoight having Beavis 'reply' to her was apt. :lol:
This is contemporary?!? I thought it's Tipper, something from 90's or even 80's.

Abandon all hope...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:30 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:48 am
Noisenik wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:06 pm On the sidenote: Is that Tipper Gore dronning about dangerous Heavy Metal?
This is contemporary?!? I thought it's Tipper, something from 90's or even 80's.

Abandon all hope...
No, it was taken from an olde '80's episode. The name of the show was '20/20'. It was the title, not the date. The name was likely inspired by the phrase '20/20 vision' which everyone thinks means perfect sight, but actually refers to average vision.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Blimey, what a nice way to end the year. This episode is currently on 4 of mixcloud's charts: Top 10 in Hard Rock, Top 20 in both Heavy Metal & Psychedelic Rock & Top 40 in Punk! :shock: Hard to quantify what any of that really means, but very gratifying nonetheless. Many thanks to all of you who have supported (& hopefully enjoyed) Cult Of The Underdog this year, it's very much appreciated. Not bad going for a weird little bi-monthly stream that has zero presence on 'social media'. :D
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:13 am Blimey, what a nice way to end the year. This episode is currently on 4 of mixcloud's charts: Top 10 in Hard Rock, Top 20 in both Heavy Metal & Psychedelic Rock & Top 40 in Punk! :shock: Hard to quantify what any of that really means, but very gratifying nonetheless. Many thanks to all of you who have supported (& hopefully enjoyed) Cult Of The Underdog this year, it's very much appreciated. Not bad going for a weird little bi-monthly stream that has zero presence on 'social media'. :D
Graham, do you know how is this counted? Is it every time one hits the play button or is it IP's that are?

Reg. charts I dare to say this should go higher.

Reg. 20/20 the show is still aired on ABC and it is predominantly busy with what they consider "white trash" issues. I thought I could find this particular issue on 'tube.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Found another one:

GAZA STRIPPERS - Throttle Bottom

I couldn't find it earlier 'cos I searched for Travel Bound :lol: *here should be "he shots himself in the head"- smiley* :lol: I also thought this was HELLACOPTERS version, but having TURBONEGRO and HELLACOPTERS in the same emission would probably be too much, huh?

Feel great now. :lol:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:25 am
bigfootkit wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:13 am Blimey, what a nice way to end the year. This episode is currently on 4 of mixcloud's charts: Top 10 in Hard Rock, Top 20 in both Heavy Metal & Psychedelic Rock & Top 40 in Punk! :shock: Hard to quantify what any of that really means, but very gratifying nonetheless. Many thanks to all of you who have supported (& hopefully enjoyed) Cult Of The Underdog this year, it's very much appreciated. Not bad going for a weird little bi-monthly stream that has zero presence on 'social media'. :D
Graham, do you know how is this counted? Is it every time one hits the play button or is it IP's that are?

Reg. charts I dare to say this should go higher.

Reg. 20/20 the show is still aired on ABC and it is predominantly busy with what they consider "white trash" issues. I thought I could find this particular issue on 'tube.
As far as i know the charts are compiled by plays of logged-in mixcloud members only, which i guess means some plays go uncounted. Not very scientific, but as chart placings weren't a motivation in starting this venture i'm unperturbed by it. If the appearance of episodes on these charts leads more people to check it out (and hopefully enjoy it) then i'm glad. As i said previously, i don't 'do' social media, so the fact that this seems to have something of an audience at all in 2022 without the need for that is rather gratifying in itself. The only 'push' i give 'Cult...' is right here & on one other forum. Old-skool. :D
I think i sampled that 20/20 dialogue from an episode that is on youtube, but unfortunately i've no idea how i initially stumbled across it or what it was titled in order to find it again.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:31 pm having TURBONEGRO and HELLACOPTERS in the same emission would probably be too much, huh?
GAZA STRIPPERS - Throttle Bottom
Yeah, too much of a good thing can be habit forming. :lol: The 'copters version of 'Throttle Bottom' is great, but the original has the edge for me. Although their full length albums never quite held up, i reckon you might enjoy the Gaza Strippers 'Electric Bible' EP/Mini LP from which this song comes. Rick Sims is a legit guitar hero.
https://www.discogs.com/release/3719801 ... tric-Bible