SWORD - 'III' (Finally!)

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

SWORD - 'III' (Finally!)

Post by bigfootkit »

SWORD – 'III' (November 25th 2022)

In 1986, Sword took the rock world by storm with 'Metalized', a debut album. The second album, 'Sweet Dreams', was released two years later and… we had to wait until 2022 for the sequel with album 'III'.
Original band members Rick Hughes, Mike Plant, Dan Hughes and Mike Larock got together and did what they do best: heavy, high-energy rock, powered by the sharp riffs and edgy guitar solos of Mike Plant, the firm and heavy rhythm section of drummer Dan Hughes and bassist Mike Larock and the voice of a Rick Hughes at the top of his game.
In 2022, Sword is back, stronger than ever! Album 'III' is proof of that, and the shows to come will amaze your eyes – and your ears. On “(I Am) In Kommand“, the first single from 'III', Sword addresses assertiveness, living life without fear or regret. “Dirty Pig” deals with a very current subject: the abuse of power and trust. On “Unleashing Hell“, the group remembers its beginnings: “1986 in Montreal making music and rattling walls, in our twenties and standing tall, setting fires in every hall.

The classic line-up of lead vocalist Rick Hughes, drummer Dan Hughes, guitarist Mike Plant and bassist Mike Larock will be releasing their third studio album 'III' via Massacre Records on November 25, 2022.

Track List:

01. Bad Blood
02. (I Am) In Kommand
03. Dirty Pig
04. Surfacing
05. Unleashing Hell
06. Spread The Pain
07. Took My Chances
08. Not Me, No Way

New 30 minute interview with The Metal Voice:

Pre Orders here: https://lnk.to/swordIII
Official band site: https://www.swordmetalized.com/
Official facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Sword.Metalized
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Re: SWORD - 'III' (Finally!)

Post by Noisenik »

'kit, cheers! I haven't seen that coming. Checked all videos, esp. nice was the interview. Gotta love that historical part, plus guys are really nice. Didn't even know they are Quebecians. Sound is renewed, of course, but that should not be an obstacle.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:18 am 'kit, cheers! I haven't seen that coming. Checked all videos, esp. nice was the interview. Gotta love that historical part, plus guys are really nice. Didn't even know they are Quebecians. Sound is renewed, of course, but that should not be an obstacle.
I was fortunate enough to see Sword supporting Motorhead on the 'Rock '&' Roll' UK tour back in '87 (?) & i've been a fan ever since. Though i knew they'd played shows in the last decade i'd assumed the lengthy silence since they reformed meant they wouldn't be recording new material, so i was delighted to discover that they had a new album due so imminently. Here's hoping they get the chance to promote it properly on a good support slot or package tour. Armored Saint with Sword would be a rather nice fit from a musical perspective, or perhaps an all-Canuck 'Maple Leaf Metal' package tour with Voivod, Anvil & Razor?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Just finished giving this it's first full listen & overall i'm rather impressed.
There's the usual balancing act between expectation & reality that you'd expect with any old school band returning to the fray after years away, and yes, there are some more modern sounds & production tricks in the mix than if this had come out in the late '80's, but Sword seem to have incorporated these things into their sound in a way that feels quite natural and doesn't distract or detract too much.
Rick Hughes's voice has weathered rather nicely & although it has changed a little over the decades he still sounds great. His timbre remains distinctive & his range seems intact. Mike Plant on guitar absolutely kills it throughout with some great solos & cool little melodic flourishes & he may be playing better now than he did back in the day.
On the negative side, some of the lyrics did hit my ear a little oddly but that may fade with familiarity, and it's a pretty short album (8 songs in about 35 minutes), which could have done with an honest to goodness epic in the running order. 'Took My Chances' is closest to that epic feel & it could perhaps have been allowed to breathe a little & spread out to a more luxurious length. These are minor concerns though, i'm just glad to have Sword back.