CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 7 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 7 Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:26 pm
Noisenik wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:22 pm Found out another three:

DIAMOND REO - It's A Jungle Out There
MELANIE HORSNELL - Sometimes (intermission song)
SHADOW - Tonight The Lights Go Out

These DIAMOND REO are top notch stuff. The list is getting longer and longer, gasp. Melanie's song I can't quite connect with the concept, but sounds OK. Will probably grow on me. SHADOW are pretty cool, too.
Nice sorting that out. The Shadow 2 tracker is quite frustrating. The 10" essentially came out and sold out at a reunion show and I've never been able to find a copy, so really have not heard it.
Diamond Reo I would never have guessed. I have these 2 records. And that is it for some reason.
Notice the knives wedged under the strings of the guitars?
Well done on identifying those tracks Nenad, some fine sleuthing on your part. Feel free to reward yourself with a deerstalker hat & an oversized magnifying glass. :lol:
There's some great stuff on all the Diamond Reo records, but their essential LP is 'Dirty Diamonds'. On that one they don't lose focus messing around with niceties like writing songs that might cross over to radio, they just turn it up & bludgeon the listener like the snotty younger brothers of Montrose. I love that photo of the band posing like tuff guys, it matches the vibe of the 'DD' LP perfectly.
I just became aware of 2 more of their releases recently, a cassette only album which they put out in the early 80's under the name 'The Diamonds' & an archival live album that just came out last year. Must track them down.
The Melanie Horsnell song's a bit of a weird one as i can't recall how i first came to hear it & i've never heard a single other thing she's recorded, but it had been running through my head whilst i was compiling this episode & the vibe of it just seemed perfect for the intermission slot.
I wish there was a Shadow anthology available commercially, they made a lot of studio recordings while they were together & were recorded live by KZOK on at least one occasion so there's plenty of material to choose from, but for some reason they haven't made any of it available beyond that 10". Perhaps they're embarrased by some of what they recorded then as they were all still in their mid-teens at the time? If that's the case i don't know why, as they sound pretty great to me, at least on the 2 songs from the 10".
Best of luck finding a copy Rob, but i suspect most copies are likely in the hands of old-school Shadow fans from back in the day or obsessive collectors of anything related to Pearl Jam.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:34 pm There's one Shadow 10' available on Discogs, located in Germany, but judging by the postage costs, the seller must live on one of islands in Baltic sea.

So you have both Ruff Cuts versions. On RYM that one got pretty low grades, below 3. But boy, that pose of the band. And yes, the knife could be the same as the one on front. Or maybe not.
Yeah the postage on that Shadow 10" kills.

Concerning the Diamond Reo (or any other band), I don't care some grade or rating. I just finished listening to it I thought it was quite good. But I had forgotten about it. Nice to hear again after a long time.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

A quick re-cap to show what's been identified so far, a very respectable effort from the Corro brain trust:

01. ?
02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
03. Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen (from the 'Never Mind The Bollocks...Here's The Sex Pistols' LP (1977))
04. ?
05. Rex - Dead End Kids (from the 'Rex' LP (1976))
06. ?
07. ?
08. Agent Orange - Bloodstains (from the 'Living In Darkness' LP (1981))
09. ?
10. Liquid Diamonds - Long Ago (from the 'Aw Maw' 7" (1973))
11. Diamond Reo - It's A Jungle Out There (from the 'Rough Diamonds' LP (1976))
12. Melanie Horsenell - Sometimes (from the 'The Adventures Of...' LP (2005))
13. ?
14. ?
15. Steve Gray - Bulldozer (from the V/A library music 'Industry (Volume 2)' compilation LP (1975))
16. Ted Nugent - Venom Soup (from the 'Weekend Warriors' LP (1978))
17. Shadow - Tonight The Lights Go Out (from the 'Shadow' 10" (1983))
18. T2 - No More White Horses (from the 'It'll All Work Out In Boomland' LP (1971))
19. Rainbow - Kill The King (from the 'Long Live Rock 'n' Roll' LP (1978))
Last edited by bigfootkit on Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
THRASHER BE

Post by THRASHER BE »

Oh fun game:
15) Stephen Gray - Bulldozer
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

THRASHER BE wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:58 pm Oh fun game:
:shock: That was not one of the songs i thought would be identified! How did you get that?! Impressive work sir.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Is it time for me to name those remaining unidentified songs yet or is there still some guessing going on?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:18 am
:shock: That was not one of the songs i thought would be identified! How did you get that?! Impressive work sir.
I was certain you will be surprised by THRASHER BE's knowledge. I reckon this is unknown even in funk circles. Funk-o-ploitation?

Oh, and I think you could wait with titles until Monday. I still haven't given up on some of the tracks.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:32 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:18 am
I was certain you will be surprised by THRASHER BE's knowledge. I reckon this is unknown even in funk circles. Funk-o-ploitation?
Oh, and I think you could wait with titles until Monday. I still haven't given up on some of the tracks.
That particular song was from one of those library music compilations from the 70's, so you're probably right that even devout funkophiles wouldn't know it. I first heard it in a mid 70s episode of an Australian TV cop shop called 'Bluey' & it took me ages to find ouy who had done it.
I'll wait to reveal the tracklist on Monday then if you're stilll working on it. The amount of tracks already identified is pretty impressive & I know Keir knows one of those remaining songs because we've talked about it in the past.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Despite trying hard to uncover the remaining unknowns of the episode I haven't succeeded although I now know even parts of the lyrics. Eh, what a pagan land this is. :lol:

As you mentioned, the album from DIAMOND REO is "Dirty Diamonds" not "Rough ..." ones. See your previous post with titlelist.

Thanks again for inclusion of Sex Pistols and Rainbow. After getting it even on the second listen, this made a whole week for me. :D
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Cheers for catching my error on the DR album title Noisenik :oops: . A very decent effort all 'round on identifying the songs on this episode folks, give yourselves a round of applause. Solid sleuthing. As promised here finally is the complete tracklist for 'Nest Of Scorpons' :

01. John Williams - Close Encounters Of The Third Kind Theme (from the 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind OST' LP (1978))
02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
03. Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen (from the 'Never Mind The Bollocks...Here's The Sex Pistols' LP (1977))
04. Hard Action - Chosen Few (from the 'Sinister Vibes' LP (2015))
05. Rex - Dead End Kids (from the 'Rex' LP (1976))
06. XCursion - The Distant Skies (from the 'FM 92 KOMP : Rocks Las Vegas Volume 3' Various Artists compilation LP (1983))
07. Strongbow - Change (from the 'If You're Goin' To The City' 7" (1973))
08. Agent Orange - Bloodstains (from the 'Living In Darkness' LP (1981))
09. Rough Justice - Bad Luck (from their BBC 'Friday Rock Show' Session (1981))
10. Liquid Diamonds - Long Ago (from the 'Aw Maw' 7" (1973))
11. Diamond Reo - It's A Jungle Out There (from the 'Dirty Diamonds' LP (1976))
12. Melanie Horsenell - Sometimes (from the 'The Adventures Of...' LP (2005))
13. Eddie & The Hot Rods - Circles (from the 'Thriller' LP (1979))
14. Doc Rockit - City Of Glass (from the 'Azugi' LP (1989))
15. Steve Gray - Bulldozer (from the V/A 'Industry (Volume 2)' library music compilation LP (1975))
16. Ted Nugent - Venom Soup (from the 'Weekend Warriors' LP (1978))
17. Shadow - Tonight The Lights Go Out (from the 'Shadow' 10" (1983))
18. T2 - No More White Horses (from the 'It'll All Work Out In Boomland' LP (1971))
19. Rainbow - Kill The King (from the 'Long Live Rock 'n' Roll' LP (1978))

Shall we do it all again in December?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Doc Rockit, Eddie and the Hotrods, Strongbow, Rough Justice, Hard Action, Xcursion,.... :?: :?: :?: Where is the unconsciousness emoticon?

Yes, in December, a must-do!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Graham, who are these ROUGH JUSTICE? I cannot find anything about the release cited if there's one at all. Unofficial? ??
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:52 pmGraham, who are these ROUGH JUSTICE? I cannot find anything about the release cited if there's one at all. Unofficial? ??

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ro ... 3540484335

This Rough Justice were a NWoBHM band from Leeds formed from the remains of a prior act called Stress. There were several other NWoBHM bands with the same name & one called Ruff Justice too, so they often get confused with one another. The popularity of the name was likely because of an acclaimed TV documentary series called 'Rough Justice' which was on UK TV at the time, which was all about possible miscarriages of justice. It was must-see TV at that time as many of the cases featured on the show wound up in appeals, re-trials, aquittals, pardons & releases from prison as a result of the work of those programmes.
Anyway, this Rough Justice recorded 2 demo tapes released in 1980 & 1981, then recorded a 4 song in-studio session for BBC Radio 1's 'Friday Rock Show' in 1981, (which is where the song 'Bad Luck' in the podcast comes from), but as far as i know they never released anything commercially. They split up in 1984, then reformed with a different line-up later, but again, i don't think that version of the band released anything either. This was the line up at the time of their BBC recording :

Paul Edwards: Vocals
Geoff Taylor: Guitar
Russ Middleton: Guitar
Nick Downes: Bass
Paul Graham: Drums

Geoff Taylor had previously played in the late 70's band Luigi Anada Boys who released a hideously rare privately pressed LP called 'Feeling The Ceiling' in 1978. It's an interesting LP with great twin harmony guitars a la Wishbone Ash, A.F.T., Wytch Hazel etc. with one foot in Hard Rock, & one in Prog but with a folky edge to the whole thing which is a bit Ashbury-like without really sounding like Ashbury. Just a similar vibe (maaaan).
https://www.discogs.com/release/6918650 ... he-Ceiling
Taylor later played with 2 other former Luigi members in a band called Taylor Max & he played with LAB's singer guitarist again in the Duncan MacFarlane Band. Both of these acts were apparently more in the folk-rock mould than Luigi. Geoff Taylor appears on three of the DMB albums, 'Poachers Bold', 'All Rogues & Villains' & 'Woodshed Boys'.
The Luigis reformed briefly in the mid-2010's to play a few shows and wound up re-recording the 'Feeling...' album & a bunch of vintage songs they'd played live at the time but never recorded. These new recordings came out in 2015 on 2 separate CDs as 'Revisiting The Ceiling' Volumes 1 & 2.
Is that enough info to be going on with? :lol: :wink: