CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 6 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 6 Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 6 : The Diamond Millstone (Aug 2022)

Waterproof, this podcast works best with water-based lubricant and can easily be cleaned with warm, soapy water.
We recommend you wash it after each use.
Discreet Packaging. ;)

If you missed any of the previous episodes you can catch up here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 6 Now Available!

Post by Noisenik »

Is it two months already? Ugh, this one caught me thoroughly wrongfooted - time ran over me again.

Of course, big cheers, 'kit.

Edit: The last track is by RUBINOOS, Rock'n'Roll is Dead (and we don't care).
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Two more tracks identified:

GODDO - Let That Lizard Loose
TRIUMPH - Don't Take My Life

Canaduh rules....
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:51 pm Is it two months already? Ugh, this one caught me thoroughly wrongfooted - time ran over me again.
Yeah, the passage of time caught me on the hop too, so i panicked with a week to go & feverishly set to work to the extent that i was able to post this ep 2 days early. Really satisfied with how it turned out ultimately.
I thought that Rubinoos track would be unlikely to be identified at all, yet it's the very first one named! Nicely done Nenad.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

This time i heard RAVENS'HEAD for shure! :D
The Gates of Hell, second last song.
I really like that album a lot. Usually i do not like albums with more than 1 ballad. :D Better none.
But it's different with RAVENS'HAEAD. Ballads and semi-ballads are their thing.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

tbieri wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:41 am This time i heard RAVENS'HEAD for shure! :D
The Gates of Hell, second last song.
I really like that album a lot. Usually i do not like albums with more than 1 ballad. :D Better none.
But it's different with RAVENS'HAEAD. Ballads and semi-ballads are their thing.
:D You'd inspired me to dig that album out again by mentioning them last month. It had been a while & i'd forgotten just how good some of the material is. They had a pretty unique sound with those almost folk-flavoured female vocals, but she could also belt it out where that was called for. Cheers for reminding me of them. :)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Thanks to all of you who have supported the podcast/stream. Apparently the new episode is a genuine hit, at least in Mixcloud chart terms. Not seen too much 'name that tune' action this time 'round though, did i go too obscure this time?

Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Congrats for this achievement. I am glad not only I contributed a fair share of listens.

Despite noticing " sth on the loose", "float on the iceberg", "baby, don't you wanna get ..." in the lyrics, etc. nothing else could be deciphered. I also miss Christian's post with defining at least half of the tracks.

That female sung track with Aa-aa-aaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaa chorus (intervals are minor third down, an octave up, then down in succession of seconds (major, minor, major) is just mind deflating. Reminds me of Grace Slick, but is not.

The track after TRIUMPH could be sth from Detroit. Perhaps...

Also the intremission track sounds familiar, but only that.

As stated elsewhere, episode is a real grower, and I could pinpoint even three tracks.

"and they even have some Lynyrd Skynyrd from after the plane crash" :lol:

Priceless.

Graham, feel free for a disclosure.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:33 pm Congrats for this achievement. I am glad not only I contributed a fair share of listens.

Despite noticing " sth on the loose", "float on the iceberg", "baby, don't you wanna get ..." in the lyrics, etc. nothing else could be deciphered. I also miss Christian's post with defining at least half of the tracks.

That female sung track with Aa-aa-aaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaa chorus (intervals are minor third down, an octave up, then down in succession of seconds (major, minor, major) is just mind deflating. Reminds me of Grace Slick, but is not.

The track after TRIUMPH could be sth from Detroit. Perhaps...

Also the intremission track sounds familiar, but only that.

As stated elsewhere, episode is a real grower, and I could pinpoint even three tracks.

"and they even have some Lynyrd Skynyrd from after the plane crash" :lol:

Priceless.

Graham, feel free for a disclosure.
Yeah, we can usually count on Khnud to nail at least half of the tracklist, but he's been unusually quiet this time around. Either i've stumped him (which i doubt) or he hasn't realised that there's a new episode up yet.
Yup, the track after Triumph is indeed from the Motor City, and it's a big name but an obscure track.
The female fronted song (there are a couple in this ep) that you're referring to is Ravens'head's 'Gates Of Hell' from the 'From The Darkness' LP, which tbieri identified earlier in the thread. Yeah, the singer has an almost folky delivery, and uses a lower register for the verse parts a la Ms. Slick, but when it gets to those harder sections she can belt it out with the best of 'em, and makes it sound quite effortless too. I really enjoy female vocals in Hard Rock/Heavy Metal. When they're done well they can be so evocative & versatile in the right hands. Or the right throat more specifically. :D
Glad you got a chuckle out of that Skynyrd referencing sample, I'm never really sure how these little bits & pieces go down as people rarely reference them in their feedback, but in my mind at least they're integral to the overall flow of the thing.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Sorry guys, haven't had the time to tune in yet. Will try to do so at the earliest opportunity.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:31 amThe female fronted song (there are a couple in this ep) that you're referring to is Ravens'head's 'Gates Of Hell' from the 'From The Darkness' LP, which tbieri identified earlier in the thread. Yeah, the singer has an almost folky delivery, and uses a lower register for the verse parts a la Ms. Slick, but when it gets to those harder sections she can belt it out with the best of 'em, and makes it sound quite effortless too. I really enjoy female vocals in Hard Rock/Heavy Metal. When they're done well they can be so evocative & versatile in the right hands. Or the right throat more specifically. :D
Actually I was refering to the third track after GODDO, the one whose lyrics go 'You're always on the run, I'll be your loaded gun' and one before the one with lyrics 'float on the iceberg' or the second before TRIUMPH, whichever way you like.

Regarding TRIUMPH, what a killer double guitar bridge. Heavy.

Oh, and Detroit track is IGGY POP's Johanna, but it's a better version by AN OBSCURE BAND, as you say.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:26 pm Actually I was refering to the third track after GODDO, the one whose lyrics go 'You're always on the run, I'll be your loaded gun' and one before the one with lyrics 'float on the iceberg' or the second before TRIUMPH, whichever way you like.
Regarding TRIUMPH, what a killer double guitar bridge. Heavy.
Oh, and Detroit track is IGGY POP's Johanna, but it's a better version by AN OBSCURE BAND, as you say.
Apologies, i had a 50/50 chance of guessing which female fronted song you meant & i still blew it. :oops: Yeah, it's a really catchy well crafted but still ballsy song. I could totally imagine W.A.S.P. doing a great version of it, it's got a strong feel of their early material whilst also reminding me of Motley Crue's 'Red Hot' too.
I picked up the Triumph debut very early in my musical journey when i was only 11 years old & it confused me greatly with it's stylistic split between KIss-like bubblegum Hard Rock like '24 Hours A Day' & the darker heavier material with a grander flavour like 'Don't Take...', 'Street Fighter/Reprise' & 'Blinding Light Show'. I came to love it all eventually, but it's a pity they opted to become so increasingly commercial with their later releases as they were so good at the meatier stuff. For a band with such success back in the day they seem to have been almost forgotten now. Their first 3 or 4 LPs are well worth reappraising as all have moments of real quality even though they do lack overall consistency.
I'll spill the beans about that version of 'Johanna'. The one in the episode is an alternate version from 1974 by Iggy & The Stooges (!) from a bootleg album called 'Open Up & Bleed'. Confusingly, there are at least 3 boots with the same title all containing different material which is rather unhelpful. This stripped down take on the song (without the irritating saxophone) beats the better known version hands down in my opinion & for me is as good as any of their classic material. The guitars really get the space they need to properly wail.
You correctly named the artist & song but didn't realise you had done so, & to leave you still wondering would have been too cruel. :wink:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:05 am Sorry guys, haven't had the time to tune in yet. Will try to do so at the earliest opportunity.
No worries Kristian, life gets busy, i know how it goes. The absence of your keen ear this time around has made the 'name that tune' game significantly more difficult for those participating though as you usually get the lion's share early on so i'll hold off on revealing the tracklist 'til you've had the chance to peruse this episode.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:31 amApologies, i had a 50/50 chance of guessing which female fronted song you meant & i still blew it. :oops: Yeah, it's a really catchy well crafted but still ballsy song. I could totally imagine W.A.S.P. doing a great version of it, it's got a strong feel of their early material whilst also reminding me of Motley Crue's 'Red Hot' too.
No apologies needed. Forgot to mention, RAVENS'HEAD's track is pretty good. Initially I thought they are from "occult" rock/metal scene - track sounds to be cut from a similar cloth as the DEVIL'S BLOOD one you featured in another episode, however MA defines them as power metal. Haven't checked any other track, though.
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:31 amI picked up the Triumph debut very early in my musical journey when i was only 11 years old & it confused me greatly with it's stylistic split between KIss-like bubblegum Hard Rock like '24 Hours A Day' & the darker heavier material with a grander flavour like 'Don't Take...', 'Street Fighter/Reprise' & 'Blinding Light Show'. I came to love it all eventually, but it's a pity they opted to become so increasingly commercial with their later releases as they were so good at the meatier stuff. For a band with such success back in the day they seem to have been almost forgotten now. Their first 3 or 4 LPs are well worth reappraising as all have moments of real quality even though they do lack overall consistency.
I have a few later releases, which haven't really made me salivating so I haven't invested any time into earlier releases. Now it seems, I will have to, better sooner than later.
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:31 amI'll spill the beans about that version of 'Johanna'. The one in the episode is an alternate version from 1974 by Iggy & The Stooges (!) from a bootleg album called 'Open Up & Bleed'. Confusingly, there are at least 3 boots with the same title all containing different material which is rather unhelpful. This stripped down take on the song (without the irritating saxophone) beats the better known version hands down in my opinion & for me is as good as any of their classic material. The guitars really get the space they need to properly wail.
You correctly named the artist & song but didn't realise you had done so, & to leave you still wondering would have been too cruel. :wink:
Big thanks for not holding me in suspended animation regarding that one :wink:. According to RYM one so titled compi album is not a bootleg, and I am convinced to believe the episode track is from that one, as the sound is pretty good. The proper bootlegs are reported to be really crappy sounding. Guitars are really heavy here, so if it was an alternative take, I can imagine someone from their A&R was not satisfied with it. Btw. how does sound the rest of that album? It could be my fave one.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:16 am
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:31 amApologies, i had a 50/50 chance of guessing which female fronted song you meant & i still blew it. :oops: Yeah, it's a really catchy well crafted but still ballsy song. I could totally imagine W.A.S.P. doing a great version of it, it's got a strong feel of their early material whilst also reminding me of Motley Crue's 'Red Hot' too.
No apologies needed. Forgot to mention, RAVENS'HEAD's track is pretty good. Initially I thought they are from "occult" rock/metal scene - track sounds to be cut from a similar cloth as the DEVIL'S BLOOD one you featured in another episode, however MA defines them as power metal. Haven't checked any other track, though.
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:31 amI picked up the Triumph debut very early in my musical journey when i was only 11 years old & it confused me greatly with it's stylistic split between KIss-like bubblegum Hard Rock like '24 Hours A Day' & the darker heavier material with a grander flavour like 'Don't Take...', 'Street Fighter/Reprise' & 'Blinding Light Show'. I came to love it all eventually, but it's a pity they opted to become so increasingly commercial with their later releases as they were so good at the meatier stuff. For a band with such success back in the day they seem to have been almost forgotten now. Their first 3 or 4 LPs are well worth reappraising as all have moments of real quality even though they do lack overall consistency.
I have a few later releases, which haven't really made me salivating so I haven't invested any time into earlier releases. Now it seems, I will have to, better sooner than later.
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:31 amI'll spill the beans about that version of 'Johanna'. The one in the episode is an alternate version from 1974 by Iggy & The Stooges (!) from a bootleg album called 'Open Up & Bleed'. Confusingly, there are at least 3 boots with the same title all containing different material which is rather unhelpful. This stripped down take on the song (without the irritating saxophone) beats the better known version hands down in my opinion & for me is as good as any of their classic material. The guitars really get the space they need to properly wail.
Big thanks for not holding me in suspended animation regarding that one :wink:. According to RYM one so titled compi album is not a bootleg, and I am convinced to believe the episode track is from that one, as the sound is pretty good. The proper bootlegs are reported to be really crappy sounding. Guitars are really heavy here, so if it was an alternative take, I can imagine someone from their A&R was not satisfied with it. Btw. how does sound the rest of that album? It could be my fave one.
I don't know a great deal about Ravens'head aside from the fact that they came from Australia & their lone album was released about 20 years ago, so a little before the 'occult rock' thing became a trend. Can't recall if the rest of their material had a similar lyrical bent, but musically the song i chose is fairly representative of the range of their style.
From what i recall, Triumph's first 2 were about 50/50 great/fine & the next two each had a few good tunes on them before they really started chasing radio play on later albums. Their playing & songwriting was always of a very high standard so i didn't find the lighter material too offensive as i'm perhaps a little more tolerant of radio friendly rock than some, but knowing your tastes somewhat i'm sure you'd find plenty to enjoy as well.
The sound quality on the version of 'Open Up & Bleed' which i have is pretty fair but not always consistent, however there's no guarantee the one i have is the same album as on RYM. From what i gathered it features both Williamson & Asheton throughout & the recordings were made sometime between 'Raw Power' & what became Pop/Williamson's 1975 'Kill City' LP. I'm not a deep Iggy-phile though so i'm a bit short on detailed info on the subject. Overall the material doesn't have the wild abandon of 'RP', but there are some cool songs on it & for the most part the playing is good & tight.