CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Summer Special Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Summer Special Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

tbieri wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:27 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:27 am The Sabbath cover is sung in Czech if that helps.
I have cheated, thank you google, but i'll gonne solve the mystery anyway! :D
Because who the f___ knows Jiří Schelinger!!! :?: :?: :?:
:lol: They might have been household names in Czechoslovakia for all we know. :D They certainly released a lot of 45s which might suggest that they were quite a popular act.
Jiří Schelinger was the singer but the album this song came from was released under the band name Skupina F. R. Čecha. On later records it seems they became Jiri's backing group as they were then billed as Jiří Schelinger & Skupina F. R. Čecha.
They also seem to have performed in the same capacity with the amusingly named singer Viktor Sodoma.
The recording quality of the song is a little lo-fi but they play it rather well. The rhythm section is agreeably greasy & the guitarist aquits himself splendidly on the solo sections. They also covered 'A National Acrobat' on one of their other releases.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

tbieri wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:27 pm Because who the f___ knows Jiří Schelinger!!! :?: :?: :?:
Probably only professors of East-Euro 7"-science 8)

I do have this one in my collection: https://www.discogs.com/release/7500797 ... ndi%C3%A1n

I think it's one of his last recordings (1980) before he passed away.. It's not featured on the page since I found it a bit too 70's/oddball at the time, but now when I'm giving it a relisten I think I'm in love - what a wonderful zany Hard Rock hit!

bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:50 pm
tbieri wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:27 pm Because who the f___ knows Jiří Schelinger!!! :?: :?: :?:
Probably only professors of East-Euro 7"-science 8)

I do have this one in my collection: https://www.discogs.com/release/7500797 ... ndi%C3%A1n

I think it's one of his last recordings (1980) before he passed away.. It's not featured on the page since I found it a bit too 70's/oddball at the time, but now when I'm giving it a relisten I think I'm in love - what a wonderful zany Hard Rock hit!
Damnit, it looks like i'll have to dive deeper into the Jiří Schelinger/Skupina F. R. Čecha back catalogue.
Were it not for the Czech vox 'Lupič Willy' might have passed for a lost Agony Bag song.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

It's nearly 2 weeks since i posted this episode now, should i now post the complete tracklist or are there still folks playing 'Name That Tune'?
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

For me you can. I'm stuck.
The song after Trust could be finnish. Must be from a compilation or a 7inch i think.
I think i should know the original, but i don't.
Of the yougslavian song i do not recognize the original eighter, but i think i know that band. My guess is VATRENI POLJUBAC.
I do not know the performers of the Alice Cooper and the Grand Funk Railroad songs.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Ok, here's the complete tracklist :

01. Unknown - HTV Theme (Harlech Television TV Ident) (1973) UK
02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP) (1973) UK
03. Yuki Igarashi - Bye Bye Boy (aka Warrior) from the 'Bye Bye Boy' 7" (1979) Japan (RIOT cover)
04. Trust - Paris By Night (aka Love At First Feel) from the 'Prends Pas Ton Flingue' LP (1977) France (AC/DC cover)
05. Dead End 5 - WC-Paperi-75 (aka Let Me Go Rock 'n' Roll) from the 'Dead Ends' LP (1976) Finland (KISS cover)
06. Os Motokas - Big Apple Dreamin' (Hippo) from the 'As 30 Mais' LP (1974) Brazil (ALICE COOPER cover)
07. The Juniors - Breach Of Lease from the 'The Juniors Story' LP (1971) Italy (BLOODROCK cover)
08. Tetrapak - Želela Bih Da Sam Vatra (aka Battle Hymn) from the 'Želela Bih Da Sam Vatra' 7" (1979) Yugoslavia (WILD TURKEY cover)
09. The Birdhouse - All The Lessons from the 'Meglamania' LP (1987) UK (ROSE TATTOO cover)
10. Skupina F.R. Cecha - Into The Void from the 'Bájecní Muži' LP (1975) Czechoslovakia (BLACK SABBATH cover)
11. Sex Aids - (We Are) The Road Crew from the 'Back On The Piss Again!' EP (1983) UK (MOTORHEAD cover)
12. Nameless Faces - Tales Of Mystery from the 'KIKI : Brown Bags To Stardom' various artists compilation LP (1981) USA (MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP cover)
13. Ray Burgess Group - The Ripper from the 'Final Mix' LP (1978) Australia (JUDAS PRIEST cover)
14. Les Humphries Singers - Elected from the 'Sound '73' LP (1973) UK/Germany (ALICE COOPER cover)
15. James Last - We're An American Band from the 'Non Stop Dancing 16' LP (1973) Germany (GRAND FUNK RAILROAD cover)

Trivia titbits:
Sex Aids was a one-off 'supergroup' made up of Chaotic Dischord & Vice Squad band members.
That's John Lawton (Lucifer's Friend, Uriah Heep, Rebel, Zar, Asterix, Gunhill etc.) singing on 'Elected'.

Props to tbieri for his know-how & tenacity, i think you scared off the other name-that-tune regulars this time 'round.
As reward/punishment for those who've come this far here's a little bonus download, an imaginary split 45 featuring two songs that didn't make the final cut for the episode 'cause they fell too far outside the rules i set for inclusion.
I've called it 'The Sublime & The Ridiculous' for reasons that'll swiftly become apparent. :D
The mp3s aren't tagged with the artists names in case you want to have a guess, but the included artwork tells you who's who. :wink:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eoojefdx ... s.rar/file
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Just a quick bump so no-one misses out on the bonus 'split 45' d/l.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eoojefdx ... s.rar/file
Keir

Post by Keir »

I'm disappointed that I didn't get Tales Of Mystery, since I do own that record.

Well done on the mix; an interesting concept for sure!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Ha! Tetrapak.. This reminds me I need to rip & upload more late 70's Yugo-Heavy singles. I still have several neat ones that should be of interest to some around here :wink:

The cover versions presented in this thread reminded me of one of my all-time fave Warped Sab's cover numbers, from these old forgotten UK noise-mongers:

(...might just be my olde Killdozer-fandom that's playing tricks tho')
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Keir wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:42 pm I'm disappointed that I didn't get Tales Of Mystery, since I do own that record.
Well done on the mix; an interesting concept for sure!
I really like their version of the song, it has an unusual atmosphere to it and the singer's got an interesting timbre to her voice.
DaN wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:15 pm Ha! Tetrapak.. This reminds me I need to rip & upload more late 70's Yugo-Heavy singles. I still have several neat ones that should be of interest to some around here :wink:

:D You'll have at least one grateful recipient.
Not sure about that Iron Man cover, but maybe it's a grower? For odd Sabs covers you'd have to go some to top this Thai cover of 'Iron Man' from 1978:

Keir

Post by Keir »

Not making the same mistake twice; of course I recognize the B-side to your 45. :D

Was not aware that Dolly Parton covered that song on the other hand. That was different.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Keir wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:46 pm Not making the same mistake twice; of course I recognize the B-side to your 45. :D

Was not aware that Dolly Parton covered that song on the other hand. That was different.
:lol: Potential banana skin avoided nicely. It's a good example of enthusiasm over competency, but a strangely compelling listen nonetheless.
I was nonplussed when i first heard Dolly Parton had done a version but credit it where it's due, the song works perfectly in that style. It's a good one to slip into playlists when you have friends round. The dawning realization on their faces is always a treat.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

You've forgot to add this one on your summer special. :D
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I considered that one but it's a bit of a novelty song so i thought the Sabs cover i included was a better fit. There's no shortage of bizarre Sabbath covers, so who knows i may do a mini-ep with just the oddest examples some time in the future.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I am now officially a Cindy & Bert fan.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight