CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 5 now available

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 5 now available

Post by bigfootkit »

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 5 : Beware The Dog (Jun 2022)

Kick arse musical fun for all the family.
Ages 8 to 80.
(Contains small parts which may constitute a choking hazard to very small children)
Batteries not included.
Join the cult.

If you missed any of the previous episodes you can catch up here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 5 now available

Post by Khnud »

Thank you for another great episode! Of course I haven't heard most of the songs before, but here's what I've managed to figure out so far.

1. That saxophone has a distinct Clive Jones feel to it, but I don't think this is neither Agony Bag nor Black Widow.
2. Private hard rock/metal 7" time. Great song!
3. Testors / Sonny Vincent - Hey You
4. Pretty sure the song is called "Good Morning", but I can't figure out who the performer is.
5. Orange Goblin - Ghosts of the Primitives
6. Steel guitar blues interlude.
7. Someone's got a free spirit. Don't know who though.
8. Breaking every rule in the book.
9. Anti Nowhere League - Let's Break The Law
10. Piano intermission
11. Heavy metal about ridin' highways and crossing state lines
12. Sonic's Rendezvous Band - City Slang (the picture sleeve of this reminds me a lot of the infamous Dave Wagner Band 45)
13. Peggy's on what, now?
14. Instrumental.
15. No bloody idea. 70's funky heavy psych rock. I like it.
16. Ningen-Isu - Namahage
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:37 pm Thank you for another great episode! Of course I haven't heard most of the songs before, but here's what I've managed to figure out so far.

1. That saxophone has a distinct Clive Jones feel to it, but I don't think this is neither Agony Bag nor Black Widow.
4. Pretty sure the song is called "Good Morning", but I can't figure out who the performer is.
10. Piano intermission
12. Sonic's Rendezvous Band - City Slang (the picture sleeve of this reminds me a lot of the infamous Dave Wagner Band 45)
14. Instrumental.
Glad you enjoyed it Khnud. Impressed rhat you nailed so many songs straight out of the gate & i'm sure you'll figger out more before i post the complete tracklist. Can't believe you sussed that Testors song, i didn't think anyone would know it.
I doff my cap in respect to your arcane knowledge sir.
I don't know that DWB 45 you mentioned but having googled it i can absolutely see your comparison to the SRB sleeve, how does it compare musically?
Worth pointing out that the version of 'Let's Break The Law' by ANL i included is the (superior IMO) one from the B Side of the 'I Hate People' 45 rather than the 'We Are The League' album version.
Re: 'Peggy's on what, now?', i don't know how you spell it either :lol: but according to google it's 'Quaaludes', which was a much abused prescription sedative back in the 70s/80s. On this side of the pond i believe they were called 'Mandrax', or 'mandies' for short. They were banned outright eventually as they were so dangerous & frequently abused, so have gone the way of other retro forms of self-abuse such as Angel Dust (PCP) and glue-sniffing, though such is the nature of nostalgia you could likely find some bootleg version for sale on the Darkweb if you were really intent on risking life & limb retro-style. :lol:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:57 am
Glad you enjoyed it Khnud. Impressed rhat you nailed so many songs straight out of the gate & i'm sure you'll figger out more before i post the complete tracklist. Can't believe you sussed that Testors song, i didn't think anyone would know it.
I doff my cap in respect to your arcane knowledge sir.
I don't know that DWB 45 you mentioned but having googled it i can absolutely see your comparison to the SRB sleeve, how does it compare musically?
Worth pointing out that the version of 'Let's Break The Law' by ANL i included is the (superior IMO) one from the B Side of the 'I Hate People' 45 rather than the 'We Are The League' album version.
Re: 'Peggy's on what, now?', i don't know how you spell it either :lol: but according to google it's 'Quaaludes', which was a much abused prescription sedative back in the 70s/80s. On this side of the pond i believe they were called 'Mandrax', or 'mandies' for short. They were banned outright eventually as they were so dangerous & frequently abused, so have gone the way of other retro forms of self-abuse such as Angel Dust (PCP) and glue-sniffing, though such is the nature of nostalgia you could likely find some bootleg version for sale on the Darkweb if you were really intent on risking life & limb retro-style. :lol:
Thank you, Sir. I have reviewed the DWB 45 in the US/CAN private hard rock/metal 45 section on this site. Musically it’s quite different, I was mostly referring to aesthetics.

Ah, Quaaludes. Proves I know nothing about drugs, haha.

Thank you so much for the NINGEN-ISU track. Never heard of these guys before, but now I can’t get enough of ’em!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Khnud wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:37 pm Thank you for another great episode! Of course I haven't heard most of the songs before, but here's what I've managed to figure out so far.

10. Piano intermission
14. Instrumental.
7. is BIRTHA - Birtha - Free Spirits, fantastic album!
8. is STEPSON - Stepson - Rule in the Book, amazing album too!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Enjoyed the mix.

Absolutely have heard track 15 before but I cannot remember the name. I was watching an episode of "Better Call Saul" recently and someone in a car was listening to a heavy psych obscurity. Same thing happened, drew a blank, almost threw the remote at the TV!

Ningen-Isu are a cool band, I really want to hear all their earliest material someday, I just have a few tracks included on a compilation cd
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

tbieri wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:49 pm 7. is BIRTHA - Birtha - Free Spirits, fantastic album!
Well recognised tbieri. Such a shame both bands were so short lived.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:53 pm Enjoyed the mix.
Absolutely have heard track 15 before but I cannot remember the name. I was watching an episode of "Better Call Saul" recently and someone in a car was listening to a heavy psych obscurity. Same thing happened, drew a blank, almost threw the remote at the TV!
Ningen-Isu are a cool band, I really want to hear all their earliest material someday, I just have a few tracks included on a compilation cd
Glad you liked it. I had a very similar experience to the one you described whilst watching a recent series called 'Minx'. During a party scene the music was a retro psychy heavy rocker which i knew but couldn't name which (after much research) turned out to be 'It's Cruel' by Enoch Smokey, which is about as obscure as it gets. I guess the success of the Brown Acid compilation series has brought this stuff to much wider attention and if you're looking to bring some authentic period colour to your production it's an easy way to achieve it. Makes a pleasant change from hearing 'In A Gadda Da Vida' or 'Born To Be Wild' for the zillionth time & it must be crazy for the former band members to get a little recognition half a century after the event and maybe even a cheque.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:27 am Thank you so much for the NINGEN-ISU track. Never heard of these guys before, but now I can’t get enough of ’em!
I really can't take any cult-metal-credit for Ningen Isu as i only heard them by pure chance courtesy of the youtube algorithim having it's best day ever. :lol: Was astonished to find that they'd such a deep back catalogue yet i'd never heard of them. Got this compilation https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/% ... %9E/471086 (the title ranslates as 'The Present World is a Dream ~25th Anniversary Commemoration Best-Of Album'), in hopes of narrowing down the era of their work that merited most attention but it seems they were always good, which is great but more than a little daunting when you're dealing with a band with a 25 album discography. :shock:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

doomedplanet wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:53 pm Ningen-Isu are a cool band, I really want to hear all their earliest material someday, I just have a few tracks included on a compilation cd
There's a live video from 1991 on youtube where they sound a lot more BLACK SABBATH-influenced (I suppose you've already seen it, but here it is anyway:)

And the bassist actually had long hair. :shock:
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:16 am There's a live video from 1991 on youtube where thethe bassist actually had long hair. :shock:
The version of 21st Century Schizoid Man on that video is killer. :twisted:
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Khnud wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:16 am
doomedplanet wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:53 pm Ningen-Isu are a cool band, I really want to hear all their earliest material someday, I just have a few tracks included on a compilation cd
There's a live video from 1991 on youtube where they sound a lot more BLACK SABBATH-influenced (I suppose you've already seen it, but here it is anyway:)

And the bassist actually had long hair. :shock:
I had not seen this video, but I had not thought to look in a long time either. Thank you. There are a couple of tracks I would edit out, but that is just me.

I bought 2 Ningen-Isu cds around 1998-1999 and that is all I have.
20220603_083108_2.jpg
20220603_083108_2.jpg (936.93 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
The compilation on the left is from 1994 and IIRC contains tracks from some early EP's and probably a track or 2 from the early albums. A bit of work to sort where the songs came from, so I never bothered.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Much thanks for another slab of unknown killer music, Graham. I see another obsession is born with acknowledging of NINGEN-ISU. They sound so good I really hate myself. Funny I was checking their MA page less than two months ago, but the tag progressive rock/metal didn't struck a light. On the other hand CORROSEUM should have additional motto: Making people cry (when there are no families to ruin) since 2006!
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

tbieri wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:49 pm 7. is BIRTHA - Birtha - Free Spirits, fantastic album!
I've listened to both albums now, and they are indeed GREAT! Graham - you sure know how to pick 'em! 8)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:00 pm Funny I was checking their MA page less than two months ago, but the tag progressive rock/metal didn't struck a light.
I'd likely have passed on them too from that description thinking they meant NI were a 'Progressive Metal' band like Dream Theatre or something, though i can also see why they've categorized them in the way they have. I read something Patti Smith said about the categorization of music where she reckoned that 'definitions only impose limitations', which stuck in my head & seems quite apt with regard to Ningen Isu.
Khnud wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:32 pm
I've listened to both albums now, and they are indeed GREAT! Graham - you sure know how to pick 'em! 8)
Aw shucks, you'll make me blush. :oops:
Glad this episode seems to have went down so well & sparked some interest & chatter. I'm so pleased that people are checking some of these bands out further & really enjoying what they hear.
I'd been wondering if i was maybe spreading my musical net too wide to hold peoples attention, as i'm sure there must be purists who hate my mix & match approach, but the response to this ep has been very encouraging in that respect.
Or perhaps it's just taken a few eps for people to find it not quite so jarring when i follow up a NWoBHM track with some obscure Punk Rock before plunging headlong into some 70's soundtrack funk whilst flinging every ridiculous piece of dialogue i can find into the mix. Nice to know that i'm not the only weirdo who enjoys that. :D