V/A : Jobcentre Rejects Vol 4 - Ultra Rare FWOSHM 1978-1983

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
wicked keeper

Re: V/A : Jobcentre Rejects Vol 4 - Ultra Rare FWOSHM 1978-1983

Post by wicked keeper »

bigfootkit wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:02 am Now i think about it, I'm sure the Aussies use the term too.
Indeed we do... aka "The Rock 'n' Roll"..... :lol:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:02 am
Khnud wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 amDo Swedes actually call social security 'the dole', or is that a tie-in with the Jobcentre Rejects theme & a nod to the circumstances most NWoBHM bands were formed in?
No we don't, that's purely an English expression. So most likely tied to the fact that the label focuses on releasing bands who went nowhere and didn't get signed.
It's more accurately a British expression as it's used by us Scots, the Northern Irish & Welsh too, but that's just me being a thin-skinned nitpicker with a chip on my shoulder. :lol: Now i think about it, I'm sure the Aussies use the term too.
Both Brits, Scots, Aussies, Welsh- and Irishmen speak English, don't they? Ok, that's just me nitpicking. ;-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
DMR

Post by DMR »

This journalist claims he used the phrase "FIrst Wave of Swedish Heavy Metal" in Creem Metal in the '80s.

https://trinkelbonker.wordpress.com/202 ... 1978-1983/

I hope we get a collection of all of the Behemoth (Sweden) material someday soon.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Ron Quintana used a similar term in Metal Mania #10, not sure if he was the first.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:02 am
Khnud wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 pm
No we don't, that's purely an English expression. So most likely tied to the fact that the label focuses on releasing bands who went nowhere and didn't get signed.
It's more accurately a British expression as it's used by us Scots, the Northern Irish & Welsh too, but that's just me being a thin-skinned nitpicker with a chip on my shoulder. :lol: Now i think about it, I'm sure the Aussies use the term too.
Both Brits, Scots, Aussies, Welsh- and Irishmen speak English, don't they? Ok, that's just me nitpicking. ;-)
Touché. :wink:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DMR wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:42 am This journalist claims he used the phrase "FIrst Wave of Swedish Heavy Metal" in Creem Metal in the '80s.
https://trinkelbonker.wordpress.com/202 ... 1978-1983/
Khnud wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:16 am Ron Quintana used a similar term in Metal Mania #10, not sure if he was the first.
I had assumed that DaN had coined the phrase himself as the first place i'd encountered it was on the Corroseum, most likely in the '707 Inches...' feature, but it seems i was wrong.
What's that saying? 'Never assume, because you'll only make an ass of u and me'? :D
At the very least, he helped to popularise both the phrase and the movement it referred to and kept the memory of those bands alive, so he did us a huge service in that regard.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.