V/A : Jobcentre Rejects Vol 4 - Ultra Rare FWOSHM 1978-1983

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

V/A : Jobcentre Rejects Vol 4 - Ultra Rare FWOSHM 1978-1983

Post by bigfootkit »

Was surprised to see this compilation appear, wonder if it was inspired by the olde '707 inches of Swedish Steel' feature?
Hope you copyrighted 'FWOSHM' DaN.

Various Artists : Jobcentre Rejects Vol 4 - Ultra rare FWOSHM 1978-1983
On The Dole Records
OTD008

Mercy – State Of Shock
Stitch – Devil’s Deal
Greensleeves - Fire
Ironside – The Ironside
Highbrow – A Loser
Turbo – Asfaltsrock
Quix – Speed
Trazer – Street Fighter
Silver Mountain – Axeman & The Virgin
Squetters – Heavy Water
Paradize – Caress Of Steel
Behemoth – Deathwings

[youtube]dN8h6RyvPWA[/youtube]

What springs to mind when pondering Swedish heavy metal? A Nordic mish-mash conjuring up a black-death-Viking metal wall of sound? Doom metallers Candlemass? Soft rockers Europe? Guitar titan Yngwie Malmsteen? The history and mythology fixated Amon Amarth? Maybe even the tempestuous jazzer Mats Gustafsson’s metal-informed attack? Unless you’re a Swedish collector or a very deep-digging non-Swede, whatever does come to mind is unlikely to be Greensleeves, Squetters or Trazer, three of the stars of Jobcentre Rejects Vol. 4: Ultra-Rare FWOSHM 1978–1983. The title’s acronym stands for the First Wave Of Swedish Heavy Metal.
The previous Jobcentre Rejects volumes scrutinised The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal and its marginalia. Volume four is cut from the same cloth but puts Sweden under the musical microscope. As eye-opening as it is enjoyable, the vital story told here is one which has not been told before.
In the UK, before the pervasive producer-driven dance-pop boom, ABBA came to define how Swedish music was seen in terms of mainstream success. Poppy. Hyper-poppy. Where the stylised Army Of Lovers and Roxette would do just fine, thank you. Standing apart, Robyn was and is a delightful Swedish export. Earlier, the edgy Leather Nun only got so far. In the Eighties, Sweden’s Sixties-informed garage band boom was never going to be as cool as California’s Paisley Underground.
Of course these are generalisations and, however it was seen, Sweden was always on the ball musically. Rock ’n roll hit hard in the Fifties, The Shadows inspired hordes of instrumental bands and there were world-class beat, mod and psychedelic groups aplenty. Also, a rich seam of often wonderful schlager-pop thrived. In the period ABBA was on the rise, the prog scene confirmed Sweden was home to innumerable idiosyncratic, original and wonderful musicians. Punk arrived and, in 1978, Ebba Grön, New Bondage, The Rude Kids and Skabb issued their first singles. In parallel, other bands headed down the path signposted metal. This is what Jobcentre Rejects Vol. 4 celebrates.
Also lauded is a form of regionalism. Highbrow were from Stockholm. Otherwise, only Malmö’s Silver Mountain were from a major conurbation. The bands here mostly came from beyond the orbit of the capitol city. The trends which ebbed and flowed in Sweden’s national hub were side-stepped – whether by accident or design. This is the sound of small-town Sweden. Finally – and belatedly – it is honoured.

https://jobcentrerejects.bandcamp.com/a ... -1978-1983

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/68 ... -1978-1983
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Re: V/A : Jobcentre Rejects Vol 4 - Ultra Rare FWOSHM 1978-1983

Post by Khnud »

Great to see L.P. Andersson's labour of love is getting some international attention!

Yours truly might contribute to an upcoming volume. We'll see... :-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
gravesnatcher

Post by gravesnatcher »

are these songs licensed from the bands for this release? In this case it would be a "labour of love"
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Yes, this is a 100% legit and official release, as are all releases from this label.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:30 pm Great to see L.P. Andersson's labour of love is getting some international attention!
Yours truly might contribute to an upcoming volume. We'll see... :-)
Interesting. Contribute in what capacity?
Excuse my ignorance but who is L.P. Andersson?
Great to see these bands finally getting some long overdue respect & celebration for their vintage efforts.
borrel

Post by borrel »

Great idea, I just wish they put the complete singles on there instead of just one song.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

borrel wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:35 am Great idea, I just wish they put the complete singles on there instead of just one song.
Yes...same here. That stops me from buying them. No use of having just one song of a 7".
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:50 amExcuse my ignorance but who is L.P. Andersson?
The owner of this label: https://www.discogs.com/label/1609112-O ... le-Records
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:12 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:50 amExcuse my ignorance but who is L.P. Andersson?
Ah, i see.
Do Swedes actually call social security 'the dole', or is that a tie-in with the Jobcentre Rejects theme & a nod to the circumstances most NWoBHM bands were formed in?
Some time ago i'd thought about writing a book about the NWoBHM era that focused on the various different social & socio-economic conditions that gave the 'genre' the unique conditions for it to grow in, a wider perspective on the whole landscape, but i just couldn't find a way to make it work. It was either going to wind up a dry slog which occasionaly touched on the music or one which was music focussed but which then took huge tangental side steps into dense socio/political territory.
Neither option seemed particularily appealing, so it went on the back burner.
I still think it's a project that could be really interesting & enlightening if the two subjects could be successfully married, but i'm probably not the man to write it.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 am
Khnud wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:12 pm
Ah, i see.
Do Swedes actually call social security 'the dole', or is that a tie-in with the Jobcentre Rejects theme & a nod to the circumstances most NWoBHM bands were formed in?
Some time ago i'd thought about writing a book about the NWoBHM era that focused on the various different social & socio-economic conditions that gave the 'genre' the unique conditions for it to grow in, a wider perspective on the whole landscape, but i just couldn't find a way to make it work. It was either going to wind up a dry slog which occasionaly touched on the music or one which was music focussed but which then took huge tangental side steps into dense socio/political territory.
I still think it's a project that could be really interesting & enlightening if the two subjects could be successfully married, but i'm probably not the man to write it.
I am certain you are. Two things are needed most IMHO: keeping the balance and having enough patience with it. I understood you already gathered the data or you know where to find it.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 amDo Swedes actually call social security 'the dole', or is that a tie-in with the Jobcentre Rejects theme & a nod to the circumstances most NWoBHM bands were formed in?
No we don't, that's purely an English expression. So most likely tied to the fact that the label focuses on releasing bands who went nowhere and didn't get signed.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Agh.. I should have posted a thread about this release ages ago, so cheers to Kit for stepping in.
This is obviously more of a cool mix-tape from the past that the complete-discog HRR type releases and it does the job perfectly, i.e. enhances the listening experience of many releases I wouldn't normally put on. Yay context!

Actually I was supposed to help out a bit in the beginning of this one, but time did not permit. I did get to squeeze in a few quotes in the liner-notes though :)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:36 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 am
I am certain you are. Two things are needed most IMHO: keeping the balance and having enough patience with it. I understood you already gathered the data or you know where to find it.
Thank you for your kind encouragement Noisenik, both then & now.
You're right, i did have a lot of research already, so maybe i should just press on & worry about balancing it all later in the process.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:22 pm Agh.. I should have posted a thread about this release ages ago, so cheers to Kit for stepping in.
This is obviously more of a cool mix-tape from the past that the complete-discog HRR type releases and it does the job perfectly, i.e. enhances the listening experience of many releases I wouldn't normally put on. Yay context!

Actually I was supposed to help out a bit in the beginning of this one, but time did not permit. I did get to squeeze in a few quotes in the liner-notes though :)
No worries DaN, i was surprised there had been no pre-release fanfare here, but am glad to hear you got to have some involvement in the project. Very fitting, as you were responsible in turning many of us who were previously oblivious to the wealth of unsung talent that existed back then onto the joys of FWOSHM in the first place.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:02 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:05 amDo Swedes actually call social security 'the dole', or is that a tie-in with the Jobcentre Rejects theme & a nod to the circumstances most NWoBHM bands were formed in?
No we don't, that's purely an English expression. So most likely tied to the fact that the label focuses on releasing bands who went nowhere and didn't get signed.
It's more accurately a British expression as it's used by us Scots, the Northern Irish & Welsh too, but that's just me being a thin-skinned nitpicker with a chip on my shoulder. :lol: Now i think about it, I'm sure the Aussies use the term too.