V-Turbo (Hong Kong): Metal Demo 1990

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
jnfernal

V-Turbo (Hong Kong): Metal Demo 1990

Post by jnfernal »

I have potential contacts with the band and the idea is to re-release a CD with the full demo + 1 or 2 live shows as bonus multimedia tracks.

Before planning a possible, future release, I would like to know how many people would be potentially interested in it.
The option is to make a run of 500 copies sold at a regular, reasonable price (7-8 euros, let's say) or a very limited 100 copies edition for a higher price (let's say around 13-15 euros, considering that it costs more or less the same as printing 500 copies)

you can find some information here:

http://www.discogs.com/V-Turbo-Metal-De ... se/5386946

and listen to the full demo here:

Track 01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sprF5ZBLIbU

Track 02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9COOSuXddA

Track 03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p94FP4GrdY

Track 04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YncYpytLmoc

Track 05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNa5rEOFP0M

Track 06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TApT1VlX9Ow

A few video tracks from a full live gig recorded in 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0SEV0hWb_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tamePWEdC1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00TTfAa99ZE

To be honest the artistic quality isn't that great (to say less) but it is an historical document about the very small and yet unknown metal scene in Hong Kong and China in the late 80's/early 90's which deserves a proper preservation

Let me know...and still looking for some potentially interested labels for production and/or coproduction while I deal with band and working on audio restoration or collecting rare documets/material for artwork.
In case of potential label interested in vinyl only edition, I must decline the offer as I want to release it on CD format for sure. Vinyl is just an addition to the CD format.

I repeat: it is just an idea at the moment, as I got connections with the band. Maybe we can sort out something, maybe not. Everything depends on you, potential customers :)
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

That could be something for the Dark Ages, Wheelz of Steel, Kuster, Dwarr or Pharaons, Thrash Queen, Killer Foxx etc. fan base ... lol
I think you might get problems to sell even 100 copies of "this". Interesting vocalist btw., Solar Eagle fans must love him ... :wink:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Buried By Time and Dust

Post by Buried By Time and Dust »

release it on cd and see how it sells. Cd's are cheap to make
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Put it on mega-limited pressing of 50 cassette tapes. Your only hope of moving this is to attract the analog-hipster kids, and they do not buy cds... good luck.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

I am not interested in tape or vinyl format, to me the CD edition is the best format. Because a CD re-release is a way to keep and preserve something for the future. A limited tape edition or (even worse) a vinyl edition is something just made for collectors and for feticism, not for real music listeners, something just for those who want to have a "forbidden fruit" than for the real interest of having and listening to a piece of history. To me, it must be as linear as possible. CD edition, that's it. With good booklet which goes in deep of history and background. No limited picture edition, no wooden box, no tricks at all. Music must be important, not the format. You must isten to music, not just enjoying a wooden case with ebossed golden logo or a ultralimited splatter vinyl edition. Music must be the main point.

so...if I see there is a way to print it on cd, it's ok. If not...well, we'll see in the future. maybe in Hong Kong and China I can find 200-300 guys interested in buying it. Otherwise, this is just another thing to throw in the dustbin of oblivion. and let's wait for a new picture vinyl reissue of Warlord or Sabbat, just to keep us safe and well.

I would like to spread some unknown and forgotten piece of history of heavy metal, exploring the unusual areas and giving also a bit of history and background...to talk about different places, different stories...I mean, it's not only for the sake of music. It's also a matter of history...at least if you go to Hong Kong or China, you have a bit more information/background of the place you're going to visit. Don't know how to explain that, but it's not only a matter of music itself, even because this is not even the best metal album ever and I am aware of it.

To me it would give much more satisfaction than the 734th vinyl reissue of any american thrash band printed and reprinted and reprinted over and over and over and over during the years...but it seems nobody is interested in giving a listen to these bands, or bands such as Thunderway from Albania, Warhead from Philippines, Pharaons from Madagascar, Postmark from India...well, maybe because they don't come from USA or Northern Europe...but to me they are part of history ofd heavy metal and they have that additional "special feeling" that western bands don't have...beside the musical quality, well...guess it would be nice to discover something "new" or "alternative", new areas, new points of view....but I guess people would be interested in this release only if it was printed on CD or vinyl in the ealry 90s...would pay hundred of euros for a shitty early 90's release and not even 1 euro for a new, remastered, expanded or good looking edition with some history, some overview of the beginning of the scene....

don't know, sometimes I feel disappointed by the lack of curiosity of many music collectors...

how many people would be interested in such a release? 20-30? even too many...

but if they put an Lp or a CD at that time, I guess there would be at least 50-60-100 collectors in search of it...and would be ready to pay hundred of dollars...

we will see....only time will tell
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I tried to listen to this, after half a song it was already unbearable. Sure they were early for their region, but to me it's just random noise, not music.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Warepire wrote:to me it's just random noise
No, it's music you don't like. Not as shambolic as I thought it'd be, but still odd. Vocalist's silly. Lead guitarist's competent. Innaressin'!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
Warepire wrote:to me it's just random noise
No, it's music you don't like. Not as shambolic as I thought it'd be, but still odd. Vocalist's silly. Lead guitarist's competent. Innaressin'!
Which is why I said "to me" in the first place...
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

It's just that "random noise" suggests the whole thing sounds improvised.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Vocals have issues. Musically is just ok. Not something I would spend much money for overall.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Element0s

Post by Element0s »

Oh man, that Highway Star cover.

Count me in the "not interested" group. I listened to four tracks plus a live video and I didn't get anything out of it, regardless of obscure location and historic value. As your said in your post, "Music must be the main point" and I didn't like the music.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

This comment, as usual, shows that you are so full of yourself, what an ego....do the cd yourself if you want it so bad.
jnfernal wrote:A limited tape edition or (even worse) a vinyl edition is something just made for collectors and for feticism, not for real music listeners,
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Well, you see, regardless how you call it, this release would be all about the fetish factor. The music is the weakest and irrelevant point here, obviously, apart from the few metalploitation collectors which would pick it for the bizarre/shocking factor. But since it is not really that bad - more like very poor-man's Toy Dolls than anything really shocking, your only chance would be to attract people with packaging/limitations/format options.

In that line of thought, if you get a vinyl label, or ANY label that would be willing to work with you, better take their offer and be glad someone is interested in it. Or as Rob said, do it yourself. But do not blame people if they opt not to support it. It is a very niche release for a chosen few, if any... one that is done for eternal glory and a very distant hope of recouping some of the investments, maybe :)

That's why I offered you to do a small tape pressing - it is the cheapest and most affordable self-release option by far. Unless you want to do 100 pro-printed CD-Rs

P.S. I actually do believe vinyl has the longest shelf-life expectancy of all audio formats, cds included.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

jnfernal wrote:I am not interested in tape or vinyl format, to me the CD edition is the best format. Because a CD re-release is a way to keep and preserve something for the future. A limited tape edition or (even worse) a vinyl edition is something just made for collectors
Well, you are prohably not aware that CD collectors are paying double of triple as much for certain CD's that makes special records prices looking like peanuts ...

If the music is that bad why do you want anyone to care about this band? I mean it's hard to listen to at least 1 complete song and there are better bands even from Hongkong at this time and especially from other asian countries such as Malaysia, Phillipines, Indonesia etc ... that only had cassette editions made and most of them are quite awesome, at least 666 times better musicians than this band you're trying to sell us. So why should a label do that HORRIBLE band if it could re-release a MUCH more professional real Metal band from the same area. I love exotic Metal too but I have to split between good bands and crap.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
snaps666

Post by snaps666 »

jnfernal wrote:... a vinyl edition is something just made for collectors and for feticism, not for real music listeners...
This is just about the most stupid thing I have ever read in here... And that says a lot!