What recent Aria releases are good?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Keir

What recent Aria releases are good?

Post by Keir »

I just found out that Aria is playing in Boston this November, which absolutely blew my mind. Of course I bought a ticket immediately. However, I'm really not familiar with anything after Кровь за кровь. What should I check out?
Element0s

Post by Element0s »

I have a serious soft spot for Ночь короче дня from '95. After that they go straight downhill for me. Their post-Kipelov albums have some good material on them though, I liked Крещение огнём and some tunes from the latest album as well.

Seriously thinking about hitting the Toronto show...
mordred

Post by mordred »

You should get Ночь короче дня (Night Is Shorter Than Day, 1995) and Крещение огнём (Christening by Fire, 2003). Both are excellent albums in my opinion. In Sweden this summer they played a bunch of songs off both.

I have all Aria albums. The rest of the post 1991 albums are more hit and miss, some good stuff on all of them, some more than others, but the two I mentioned are definitely the most solid so you should start there.

The worst album is Chimera.
Last edited by mordred on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

I think you should check their version of "Fear Of The Dark", "Ночь Короче Дня" from 95 and also "Химера" has some very good tracks. I have not listened to the other albums as well.....
Shimrod

Post by Shimrod »

I personnaly enjoy every studio album from them including those with the new singers, especially "Армагеддон".
mordred

Post by mordred »

A little rundown

Ночь короче дня (1995) - Bloody excellent album pretty much as good as anything they did before. Maybe their most Iron Maiden influenced? Title track is just so amazing. 8/10

Генератор зла (1998) - Their most progressive effort perhaps? Sounds like they were trying to find new ways in a changing climate. Some rhythms are so strange. Deserter is a bloody genius track, Deception is great and the most reminiscent of their older stuff and the opener Behold is a guilty pleasure of mine but much of the album is bloody hard to listen to. 5/10

Химера (2001) - Last with Kipelov and seemingly uninspired. Title track is excellent and both ballads are good for what ballads are. The rest range from boring to horrible. Worst album of theirs. 3/10

Крещение огнём (2003) - First album after Kipelov left. New singer Artur Berkut has a bit of a rougher voice but does a great job and the album is an excellent return to form. Just classic, pounding metal. Huge, intense and melodic. 8/10

Армагеддон (2006) - They retained the style of the previous album but with more filler material. The 9 minute track Blood of the Kings is amazing. Hit and miss but worth getting in my opinion. 6/10

Феникс (2011) - First album with current singer Michael Zhitnyakov. His voice is more similar to Kipelov but he lacks some of the edge and power that both Kipelov and Berkut had. Still good vocals but huge shoes to fill. Like the previous album this has some filler material but some great moments also. 6/10
snaps666

Post by snaps666 »

Anyone know a good place to buy Aria CDs? . I also need to get up to date, only have the old vinyls.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

As others have said already I'd stick up to 1995
J.

Post by J. »

Армагеддон rules!
Keir

Post by Keir »

Thanks for the recommendations!
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

mordred wrote:You should get Ночь короче дня (Night Is Shorter Than Day, 1995) and Крещение огнём (Playing With Fire, 2003). Both are excellent albums in my opinion. In Sweden this summer they played a bunch of songs off both.

I have all Aria albums. The rest of the post 1991 albums are more hit and miss, some good stuff on all of them, some more than others, but the two I mentioned are definitely the most solid so you should start there.

Isn´t the 2003 album translated as Baptized by fire? Album #4 is Playing with fire.
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
mordred

Post by mordred »

Le fjump wrote:
mordred wrote:You should get Ночь короче дня (Night Is Shorter Than Day, 1995) and Крещение огнём (Playing With Fire, 2003). Both are excellent albums in my opinion. In Sweden this summer they played a bunch of songs off both.

Isn´t the 2003 album translated as Baptized by fire? Album #4 is Playing with fire.
Yes you're right I mixed up the titles. Although I think Christening by Fire is a more common and correct title translation for the 2003 album.
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

Yep, Christenining might me more correct. But most important: mordred was wrong :twisted:
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
mordred

Post by mordred »

You waited a long time for that to happen didn't you. :shock: