The new No Remorse Records - Dubious Business Practices?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
jnfernal

The new No Remorse Records - Dubious Business Practices?

Post by jnfernal »

New or second hand.
But not at the assassin/disgusting prices found on internet. It's a CD out just a few months ago. Also trade
Priamos

Who is to blame for the shortage of some recent reissues?

Post by Priamos »

jnfernal wrote: But not at the assassin/disgusting prices found on internet. It's a CD out just a few months ago.
Hm...Already??? It seems we must be very careful about what we pick to buy or not when it is originally released, because the next sellers forgive no mistakes.
Last edited by Priamos on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

The fact is that with less and less copies pressed - 500 - it's easy that a CD would go out of print fast and/or some resellers buy big stocks to make them disappear from the market and pump the price

And in the following years it will be even worse, with microscopig pressings - 100, 200 copies - and collectros/reseller who will try to milk money as much as they can, stocking and hiding the few copies available

And as for Northwind, I really believe that there are still good quantities, but unfortunately they must be in the hands and secret vaults of a few, elected people. Just like Warlord. I can't believe 500 copies can be sold out in a few months, expecially for a virtually unknwn greek band.

In any case I'm quite sure - and other people on other metal forum confirm - that there's something dirty behind this quick disappearence. Some believe it's the record label itself who's hiding stock copies...in any case I really can't believe it went out of stock because of enormous sales. Outside of Greece it would sell no more than 40 copies, such a record....
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

I've been looking for a copy too. It's really weird how it sold 500 copies in a few weeks and how is it possible not a single copy appears nowhere.
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

jnfernal wrote:The fact is that with less and less copies pressed - 500 - it's easy that a CD would go out of print fast and/or some resellers buy big stocks to make them disappear from the market and pump the price
That´s like all the recent Ghost singles....Some distributors take multiple copies and they don´t sell a single copy for a regular price but all for collectors prices with the "excuse" that they are "sold out" on presale :?
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Same happened as well with the Protector boxset on Areadeath....the "boss" said it was sold out already during pre-orders....
and I wonder why on Taobao they surface from time to time....

In any case I would like to know how to get a copy of this Northwind CD, as well as the other on EMI/Universal that is sold for almost 20,00 euros too...
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Well, if the CD sold so incredibly fast and so incredibly well, No Remorse should reprint it....I guess also the second run will go out of stock in a few months :wink:
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

"El vendedor ha finalizado este anuncio porque había un error en el anuncio"

The seller ended this auction because there was an error in the ad...

http://www.ebay.es/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0566513828

Probably the error was that the price was too low :wink:

In any case it seems it's unavailable everywhere. At this point I really think that there was a dirty game behind it. Also the first album "Northcomin" it's sold for 20 euros by No Remorse, while by other greek websites it's sold for 9,90....I really believe there's some really shitty move behind....
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

jnfernal wrote:"El vendedor ha finalizado este anuncio porque había un error en el anuncio"

The seller ended this auction because there was an error in the ad...

http://www.ebay.es/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0566513828

Probably the error was that the price was too low :wink:

In any case it seems it's unavailable everywhere. At this point I really think that there was a dirty game behind it. Also the first album "Northcomin" it's sold for 20 euros by No Remorse, while by other greek websites it's sold for 9,90....I really believe there's some really shitty move behind....
That auction was from High Roller Records, to be honest I can´t imagine he is involved in such dirty business like some other distributors. Maybe he sold out those CDs from his website...but the next months will show if there will be a copy sold for collectors price :wink:
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

In any case the CD is totally unavailable elsewhere. Even in Japab at Diskunion that usually has everything, they just told me they never received it though they ordered it. Also other shops where they are used to carry No Remorse records they said they never got it, it's special order only.
At HRR they said they retired it and it's not available now

I am more and more convinced that it was given away to some greek resellers only. The few items appeared on Ebay all come from greek resellers. The last price was already over 40 euros.

Probably it was never officially out and a few - stolen? unauthorized? - copied were just given to some local friends in order to let them make some money through some doubt auctions....otherwise I really can't believe that a CD out 8 months ago became one of the rarest, one of the most unavailable, one of the most mysterious and one of the most invisible and elusive CDs in the story of metal....honestly there's something dirty
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

jnfernal wrote:In any case the CD is totally unavailable elsewhere. Even in Japab at Diskunion that usually has everything, they just told me they never received it though they ordered it. Also other shops where they are used to carry No Remorse records they said they never got it, it's special order only.
At HRR they said they retired it and it's not available now

I am more and more convinced that it was given away to some greek resellers only. The few items appeared on Ebay all come from greek resellers. The last price was already over 40 euros.

Probably it was never officially out and a few - stolen? unauthorized? - copied were just given to some local friends in order to let them make some money through some doubt auctions....otherwise I really can't believe that a CD out 8 months ago became one of the rarest, one of the most unavailable, one of the most mysterious and one of the most invisible and elusive CDs in the story of metal....honestly there's something dirty
You are right to be puzzled but some of your "conspirancy theories" are risky. The CD was indeed available from the No Remorse store for at least some months (got it myself since the day it was released) and it was met with very good reactions from the local press and fans. I believe that it indeed sold well in the local market. I'm not sure if it can be reissued, though, (either because of the label's policy or because this CD was made after an agreement with EMI Greece). Speaking of EMI/Gr it has terrible promotion and distribution, at least when it comes to metal.The "Northcomin'" reissue was quite hard to find for some years, for the simple reason that the label itself didn't bother to have it properly distributed and left the stock rotting in the warehouses instead. Same goes for the Exoristoi back catalogue which despite of being a wellknown local band in a major label (EMI) it was impossible to spot their CD, even recently after its release. I don't know if there is really something fishy going on (probably) but in this case we should probably blame EMI's policy as well. Because it's difficult to believe that someone has chosen a band with questionable response outside Greece (as you said yourself) to create an artificial shortage for commercial reasons. Nevertheless, I don't reject your or any other theory as impossible but I would like to listen also to what the label itself (No Remorse) has to state on this matter.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

The first CD - whose existence I learnt only last January - is available from 9,00 up to 20,00 euros and I ordered it. You never know: major labels simply donìt put any attention on such releases and it wouldn't be the first time that a "minor" release by a major label will disappear fast.
I was searhing for DORSO (Chile) first CD released by BMG in 1997 - that is not exactly a small label - and for years and years and years nobody was aware of its existence on CD. I just found a copy for sale now, after - let's say 5 or 6 years of not only unsuccessful hunting but even without finding any image, any scan, any reproduction, any proof of the CD version!

But as for the CD on No Remorse...if it actually sold THAT well, why not reprinting it? A second run of 500 items would sell as fast as the first run, I guess. Then...looks strange that EMI gave licence for 500 copies only.
For sure it could have sold well, very very well in Greece but....in this case 99,99% of copies should have been sold in pre-orders already. Because shops like Diskunion, Rock Avenue, Record Boy from Japan (whose I contacted last night and receiving answers right now) said they never received any copy. I usually check a 20-30 good online metal stores, including japanese ones, before giving up. If it's not there, it means it's seriously rare or got a failing distribution or it never came out at all or just locally. Well....until now the best and most organized/efficient metal distros scattered in Japan and Europe don't have it at all or list it as "currently unavailable" or they simply never rreceived it...

Then - that's another doubt - I've seen that on Ebay auctions (always from the same 2 greek resellers) ended already on last February and April 2013 (so just 4/6 months after the release date) described it as "Out of print, RARE"....seems strange - isn't it - that you describe a CD with 4-6 months only of existence as "out of print, rare"....don't know, I have many doubts, really.

so, that's why - of couse glad to see it sold out even before the official release date - I have some doubts.
And, at this point, I really hope for a second re-release, looks like one of the top seller of the last years' "independent" productions...

From their facebook (February 19th, 2013: 4 months after the release):

"Yes, it is sold-out because it was only 500 copies... However, when we contacted EMI to see if they can license to us another pressing (he had a negative response) we found in their stock the last copies of NORTHWIND first album. That's the only available NORTHWIND CD at the moment... but it won't stay long either.

1) Seems strange EMI doesn't want to re-release a second run, if the first sold so quickly and well
2) The first CD is absolutely not hard to find and not almost out of stock. While No Remorse charges 20 euros for a supposed "last copies in stock", you can easily find it for 9,00-10,00 euro in many other greek online shops...that's were I found it

So....seriously....I wanted to buy the Northwind CD but the more I think about it, the more I feel smell of big business...
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I'll see if I can help you out with this...
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

jnfernal wrote:

"Yes, it is sold-out because it was only 500 copies... However, when we contacted EMI to see if they can license to us another pressing (he had a negative response) we found in their stock the last copies of NORTHWIND first album. That's the only available NORTHWIND CD at the moment... but it won't stay long either.

1) Seems strange EMI doesn't want to re-release a second run, if the first sold so quickly and well
2) The first CD is absolutely not hard to find and not almost out of stock. While No Remorse charges 20 euros for a supposed "last copies in stock", you can easily find it for 9,00-10,00 euro in many other greek online shops...that's were I found it

So....seriously....I wanted to buy the Northwind CD but the more I think about it, the more I feel smell of big business...
I don't want to act like No Remorse's spokesman but they sell "Northcomin'" for 17 Euros not 20. I also bought from them the reissue of "heavy metal drill" (Metalucifer) for 17 euros (I think) while other Athenian store had it for 10 Euros(!!!damn it!!!). On the other hand they sell other stuff for 13 Euros while other (greek or not) stores sell them for 15+. This is not an indication of a scam or a bad professional; this is how things work in general.Different stores have different "strategy". So as a customer you should make an inquiry and buy from the cheaper one.

About EMI: As I told you, I don't think they are even capable to work in a normal way (they are unable even to make a decent distribution or reasonable bussiness plans). Let alone to make cunning plans or a scam!!! They seem like they don't want to make any money from their label!! They are either too stupid or they just use it for money laundry!!! :lol:
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

In general, when a big major label such as EMI, Universal, BMG decided to re-release a local cult band (Northwind for Greece, Dorso for Chile, Trust's Demo/MCD in France, Lefthanded's "Kabul" in Malaysia and many other examples) expect no promotion at all, scarce and disorganized distribution and a quick disappearence from the market. And consequentely a quick rising in resell prices on Ebay or Discogs or local online collectors stores

It seems they just re-release on CD albums which they don't give a fuck about, they reprint them as it comes, and advertising is generally scarce or even unexisting....as I told you, I was completely unaware of the existence of such CD. And I came to Greece 3 times in the last 2 years, spending almost 2 months in search of local CDs....and I never found it, neither in Athens nor in Thessaloniki where I checked a 10-15 specialized shops and lots of "generic" music stores...

Universal is not exactly an unknown/undistributed label...

At this point better giving printing licence to a dedicated music label and they'll get for sure a proper distribution/advertising campaign

looks like they "must" print them for some contractual reason or just to say "ok, we printed it, thanx and goodbye, don't bother us anymore...those who get it will get it and sorry for those who couldn't"