Ragnarokkr 2013

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Friends, if you are planning to see WRATH at Ragnarokkr Festival this coming Friday, please make sure you can make it early to the venue.

This was supposed to be a special one-time "Fit of Anger" line-up reunion with a full FoA set. However, the Ragnarokkr organizer has opted to put Wrath on an early opening slot at 6:45pm with approx playing time of around 30 minutes (45 min slot, including the change-over time between bands). So please make sure to arrive early.

Friday
Earthen: 5:30 - 6:00
Paradoxx: 6:00 - 6:45
Wrath: 6:45 - 7:30
Blood Feast: 7:30 - 8:30
Eldritch: 8:30 - 9:30
Ashbury: 9:30 - 10:30
Tyrant's Reign: 10:30 - 11:30
Omen: 11:30 - end
Oliver/KIT

Post by Oliver/KIT »

30 Minutes playing time? Sorry, but I do not understand stuff like that..
Element0s

Post by Element0s »

The cool thing about having so many bands is that you get the chance to see so many bands... the bad thing is that if your festival starts at 5:30pm then your time slots end up being horribly congested. :(
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I for one prefer 30 killer minutes over a boring and lifeless 1,5 hour.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Oliver/KIT

Post by Oliver/KIT »

ION BRITTON wrote:I for one prefer 30 killer minutes over a boring and lifeless 1,5 hour.
45 minutes should be the minimum for a band to play at any festival. Its just the respect towards the bands playing. I would never do 30 minute slots at any of my festivals..
Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

I agree with Ion Britton - if a band can't deliver a convincing assault in the space of 30 minutes, why would it be so much better stretched over a longer period?

Obviously no band wants to be deprived of stage time, but neither should they take offence at being handed half an hour if they're early on the bill.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

The organizer decides the order and how long bands play. It is their decision and I don't question that.

What I cannot understand is why a local band which announced a one-time original line-up reunion for this very fest and is going to bring a massive local support is given an early slot, while a band like Eldritch, which is not even relevant style-wise to this festival got much higher slot.

Or even ASHBURY, with one good album in their entire career, yet they get to play a full set... Even if they play Endless Skies in its entirety, they still will have 20 minutes left on the set... don't get me wrong, I like Ashbury, but a full hour set is definitely too much for them. The band order just doesn't make sense to me, that's all.

Not to mention that Chicago's traffic is one of the worst in the world. Especially on Friday afternoon. I can guarantee you that if you work in Chicago and have to leave work at 17:30, unless you are close by, there is very good chance you will never make it in time to the venue.
Element0s

Post by Element0s »

GandALF wrote: Or even ASHBURY, with one good album in their entire career, yet they get to play a full set... Even if they play Endless Skies in its entirety, they still will have 20 minutes left on the set... don't get me wrong, I like Ashbury, but a full hour set is definitely too much for them. The band order just doesn't make sense to me, that's all.
Check it out--the organizers factored change-over time within the bands set times. Ashbury will probably get 40 or 45 minutes total.

Also, some of the bands on the two stages are overlapping so the organizers tried to come up with a schedule where similar bands wouldn't overlap or something. At least, that's what the organizers have told me. Also, I think they gave Eldritch the higher slot because they are coming from Europe. They're certainly the odd-ball on this billing though. Then again so is Ashbury, and they're one of my most anticipated performances...

EDIT: Will we see you at the fest, mate? I'm really looking forward to it, flying out tomorrow
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

The "second stage" is basically a small back room where bands in attendance are allowed to play for free (given they buy festival tickets to enter the venue)

It should not be a consideration for the main event schedule since it does not affect the festival outcome, as described on the organizer's 2nd Stage Official Flyer

Anyway, I was just taken a back by the strange schedule decisions, hence my initial reaction, that's all.

I'm not coming, its 3000+ miles from where I live, and I've been saving all my vacation time (and money) to go to Europe in July.
Keir

Post by Keir »

It does seem as though Wrath is getting a bit short changed here, but on the other hand Ashbury is a huge draw for the festival this year. Personally, I would have removed Blood Feast entirely and given Wrath both slots, but then someone would complain about that. :)
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I think you are drastically overrating ASHBURY. They could draw some people in Europe, maybe, but here in USA all 10 people that know about them would be at the festival anyway.

Blood Feast are okay, given they stick to playing mainly Kill for Pleasure / Face Fate stuff.

I'd have rather saved money and removed that Eldritch entirely - a huge waste to bring prog band all the way from Italy, totally irrelevant to this festival. In my own opinion of course.
Keir

Post by Keir »

ION BRITTON wrote:I for one prefer 30 killer minutes over a boring and lifeless 1,5 hour.
I can safely say now that they did the former!

As for Ashbury even I was surprised by the overwhelming response they got. Many people I talked to said they were the highlight of the festival and I agree.
Element0s

Post by Element0s »

GandALF wrote:I think you are drastically overrating ASHBURY. They could draw some people in Europe, maybe, but here in USA all 10 people that know about them would be at the festival anyway.
You might be surprised to hear that Ashbury had a massive crowd response and the house was totally packed for them and they completely sold out of all the merchandise they brought with them. Oh yeah, they sounded fucking incredible too! Winterhawk was also astounding.

More in-depth review when I'm not so hung over...
Aiden

Post by Aiden »

I'd love to be able to afford to head over for this sometime but alas....
An in-depth review would be great though.
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

Ashbury was a really special moment, the clear highlight of Friday I think anyone would tell you who was there.

Saturday my favorite was Oz but I didn't go in the small room at all, where I'm sure Winterhawk was every bit as good as everyone was saying.

No band seemed short on time, although a few played too long!