Martin Walkyier goes to HELL

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Stormspell

Martin Walkyier goes to HELL

Post by Stormspell »

Martin Walkyier has posted his version of "Let Battle Commence" on his soundcloud page.

I'm really blown away of how great it actually is. I understand why Dave Bower got the gig, but Martin's rendition rings truer to the original, imo of course.

http://soundcloud.com/martin-walkyier/m ... -to-hell-1
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

This is AWESOME !!!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

"Steph Rodger" lays it on pretty thick in the comments regarding the song and Mr. Walkyier.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. The whole Hell ordeal doesn't necessarily bring happy thoughts when I go back and think about it. Oh well, they did deliver on the promise of the extra CD containing the original demo tracks so I have purchased that version of the "Human Remains" record to show my support for those that follow through with their word.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

I prefer David Bower's voice.
I know that many of you will mock me but i must admit that i am not very fond of Skyclad.
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

chatzial wrote:I prefer David Bower's voice.
I know that many of you will mock me but i must admit that i am not very fond of Skyclad.
Pretty damn off topic but the only good Skyclad record in my opinion is the first one. I'm not a fan of folk Metal bullshit.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
mordred

Post by mordred »

Who the fuck is that Steph Rodgers clown? What difference does the obvious fact that Walkyier didn't write the Hell song make? Why does she go on about how Walkyier didn't write music for Sabbat either? Is it an obligation to write music to be in a band? Walkyier never wrote any music for Skyclad either but he wrote all the lyrics in both Sabbat and Skyclad so he obviously contributed a great deal of creativity. Obviously she is the daughter of somebody who has some sort of beef with Walkyier, but who? :lol:

On topic I can't wait to listen to this as I'm sure it will sound great.

As for Skyclad some of their early stuff is some of the most unique metal ever produced. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th full lengths are all superb with 1994's masterpiece Prince of the Poverty Line being the pinnacle.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Ironhead

Post by Ironhead »

mordred wrote:Why does she go on about how Walkyier didn't write music for Sabbat either? Is it an obligation to write music to be in a band? Walkyier never wrote any music for Skyclad either but he wrote all the lyrics in both Sabbat and Skyclad so he obviously contributed a great deal of creativity.
Specially in Sabbat's case Walkyier made a huge difference, without his lyrics, image and themes Sabbat would have been just another progressive thrash group... I don't even want to imagine how dull it would be if Sneap for example had taken over the writing of lyrics etc. :lol:
And I think Martin did write something for Sabbat, at least When All Else Fails?
The Devil is within us all...
mordred

Post by mordred »

Ironhead wrote:Specially in Sabbat's case Walkyier made a huge difference, without his lyrics, image and themes Sabbat would have been just another progressive thrash group... I don't even want to imagine how dull it would be if Sneap for example had taken over the writing of lyrics etc. :lol:
Maybe "Mourning Has Broken" is what would have happened? :lol:
Anyway, I totally agree about Walkyier's importance for Sabbat. The same could be said about Skyclad, sure it was original quality music to begin with but Walkyier's inrecible lyrics and avantgardeism definitely made a huge difference.

Young ms Rodger's rant about how Walkyier is hard to work with etc surely suggests hell hath no fury like a band mate scorned. :lol:

Edit: Seems the song was taken down before I got to hear it. :(
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

Ooh, it was good Mordred.

You missed a nice little treat.
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
Marken

Post by Marken »

mordred wrote: As for Skyclad some of their early stuff is some of the most unique metal ever produced. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th full lengths are all superb with 1994's masterpiece Prince of the Poverty Line being the pinnacle.
This, only that A Burnt Offering...is my favourite.

Never been much of a Sabbat-fan.
Ironhead

Post by Ironhead »

mordred wrote:
Ironhead wrote:Specially in Sabbat's case Walkyier made a huge difference, without his lyrics, image and themes Sabbat would have been just another progressive thrash group... I don't even want to imagine how dull it would be if Sneap for example had taken over the writing of lyrics etc. :lol:
Anyway, I totally agree about Walkyier's importance for Sabbat. The same could be said about Skyclad, sure it was original quality music to begin with but Walkyier's inrecible lyrics and avantgardeism definitely made a huge difference.

Young ms Rodger's rant about how Walkyier is hard to work with etc surely suggests hell hath no fury like a band mate scorned. :lol:

Haha, I have Mourning Has Broken LP but listened it through only once or twice and it was HARD! Sneap unleashed!
And yeah, Walkyiers input in Skyclad was extremely important as well. He's a real magician with his lyrics and vocals, made both of those bands so unique and important for me. Of course the songs and riffs themselves had to be great as well...
Funnily enough, my fave from them is Jonah's Ark so to each their own, eh? It has a perfect mix of the older thrash roots and the folk stuff, the balance is just right for me even though I like for example Irrational Anthems a lot too.

Never saw those comments, they were on Soundcloud? Would have liked to! Let Battle Commence with Walkyier was a bit lazy, they played it a lot better on Human Remains but of course it was interesting to hear because of Martin's vocals.
The Devil is within us all...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

mordred wrote:Edit: Seems the song was taken down before I got to hear it. :(
I guess it rained. :(
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Next time I will take a snapshot for you guys. I didn't anticipate this being taken down but I guess it was due to the comments. This could have made for an interesting discussion had more people seen it.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

It's a shame it was taken down. Worth hearing and definitely in par, if not superior to Dave Bower's version.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Ironhead wrote:
mordred wrote:

Haha, I have Mourning Has Broken LP but listened it through only once or twice and it was HARD! Sneap unleashed!
And yeah, Walkyiers input in Skyclad was extremely important as well. He's a real magician with his lyrics and vocals, made both of those bands so unique and important for me. Of course the songs and riffs themselves had to be great as well...
Funnily enough, my fave from them is Jonah's Ark so to each their own, eh? It has a perfect mix of the older thrash roots and the folk stuff, the balance is just right for me even though I like for example Irrational Anthems a lot too.

Never saw those comments, they were on Soundcloud? Would have liked to! Let Battle Commence with Walkyier was a bit lazy, they played it a lot better on Human Remains but of course it was interesting to hear because of Martin's vocals.
I don't hate Mourning Has Broken. It's got some cool original riffing going on and the vocals aren't bad at all. It's just the edge Walkyier gave them is missing, and the complexity of the music tends to give me a headache if I try to listen to the album from beginning to end. The thin production also doesn't help.

To each his own, sure. I like Jonah's Ark too, it has one of my favorite Skyclad songs "The Cry of the Land". It's just with me Prince of the Poverty Line struck the strongest chord. I feel they went downhill after 1995 but I enjoy some of the later stuff as well. Like you said Irrational Anthems is quite good and actually I'm quite fond of A Semblance of Normality, the first one they did without Walkyier. Very different from the older stuff, but good.