STUTZ - 3CD Box Set

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Stormspell

STUTZ - 3CD Box Set

Post by Stormspell »

Cult and arcane band STUTZ from Ohio which was active during the 80s and managed to release one 7" EP in 1981, vinyl LP in 1983, and one Cassette album in 1987, all of which came self-released in micro-quantities on their own Electric Ice records, impossible to find nowadays. They had a cult following and almost signed to Geffen in 1989, but in the end it wasn't meant to be and the band faded out...

This is a massive 3CD Box set with basically everything the band managed to record throughout their career - from AOR on early days to killer hair metal in the later stages. Each CD comes in separate packaging with 12-page booklet with band story, info, lyrics, archive photos and more.

CD1: Contains "Made in USA" LP 1983, 7" EP'81, and bonuses
CD2: Contains "Tearing Up Tonight" 1987, and bonuses
CD3: Contains previously unreleased songs from 1988-1990

CDs can be purchased individually as stand-alone releases, or together as Box-set, hosted in a nice hand-numbered slipcase box.

We're still debating on which artwork goes where, so all previews posted are to be considered "work in progress"

Audio samples:

http://www.youtube.com/v/SWtivEaApZM

http://www.youtube.com/v/rvQA2kNXTjY

http://www.youtube.com/v/My939TI2X5w

_
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

You've got to use the awesome "Marching Into Hell" art on the front surely?
It looks like a long-lost Angel album. :shock:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Oh man, that last audio track is like some terrible disco.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
xr2m

Post by xr2m »

A bit of thread necromancy here, but I recently got this 3CD box on a whim. Bad news first - the "Killer" CD is unlistenable for me except for comedic value (sorry, just not into that style at all), and the "Keep Runnin" CD is pretty unremarkable except for the killer title track...

However, I absolutely can't stop listening to the "Marching Into Hell" disc! It's so goddamn catchy and well done! Man, they were really firing on all cylinders on that one! I think I've listened to it just about every day for the past week or so, and have tormented my wife with it enough that she recognizes Stutz whenever a track plays. :)

So if anyone doesn't have this yet, it's worth it for the "Marching Into Hell" disc alone. If you dig that "Prophecy" track that was posted, the rest of the album will appeal to you as well. The other stuff is just a bonus, IMO, if you're into that kind of thing.
Last edited by xr2m on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

I like that Prophecy song. Too bad I didnt order the box with the last order.
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Aaah, STUTZ, my pride and my bane. I've put so much work and funds into this release, at some point it became a personal hobby project, as there was a zero chance to recoup the expenses that went into it... a true "blood, sweat, and tears" release for sure.

The problem with first album is more due to the band's youthful naivete and lack of experience. They went to record it at a small local studio, and let the owner talk them into letting him produce it. And as you can imagine the dude was pop/AOR kind of guy, and managed to convert a hardrock/melodic metal album into a cheerful keyboard-driven AOR :). Still, this album has been a guilty pleasure of mine, with some very catchy tunes on it, keyboards and all.

I actually was given a master tape recently and managed to lift off some demo tunes recorded prior to the album, and those are some cracking nasty dirty rock'n'roll tunes. If I ever manage to break even on the box-set, I may consider making a follow up release, although the realistic chances are quite slim to be honest...

Here, I'll put a couple of songs from those demos here for whoever may want to check 'em out: http://snd.sc/XblpFC
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

You dont happen to have a spare copy of the Marching CD perhaps from a broken box?
Aiden

Post by Aiden »

Any chance of picking this up at KIT? Those new US postal rates rule out any orders in future I'm afraid.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Le fjump wrote:You dont happen to have a spare copy of the Marching CD perhaps from a broken box?
The box set is actually 3 full-blown separate releases each hosted in its own jewel case, with 12-page booklets each. All bound together with an over-sized wrap-around sticker. I've decided not to sell them separately as they were designed as a set (like the band story runs through all 3 booklets, etc.)

In any case, I'm selling the box set heavily discounted at $18 (less than 13,50 Eur), so basically for the price of one CD you get all three...

But if you insist, please by all means, contact me and I'll break and sell any single cd from the set at regular cd price, thanks.
xr2m

Post by xr2m »

GandALF wrote: I actually was given a master tape recently and managed to lift off some demo tunes recorded prior to the album, and those are some cracking nasty dirty rock'n'roll tunes. If I ever manage to break even on the box-set, I may consider making a follow up release, although the realistic chances are quite slim to be honest...

Here, I'll put a couple of songs from those demos here for whoever may want to check 'em out: http://snd.sc/XblpFC
Thanks for uploading these! Too bad the first LP wasn't in this vein. "Masters of Time" kicks ass, and I'd definitely pick up this stuff on CD if you reissued it. Anyway, I think "Marching Into Hell" was worth the price of the whole set.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Aiden wrote:Any chance of picking this up at KIT? Those new US postal rates rule out any orders in future I'm afraid.
Please contact your favorite KIT vendor and request that particular title. There is a score of KIT vendors which will be restocking from me (I hope), although they usually pick only the current/hot stuff and neglect picking on the lesser titles, unless requested.
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

GandALF wrote:
Le fjump wrote:You dont happen to have a spare copy of the Marching CD perhaps from a broken box?
The box set is actually 3 full-blown separate releases each hosted in its own jewel case, with 12-page booklets each. All bound together with an over-sized wrap-around sticker. I've decided not to sell them separately as they were designed as a set (like the band story runs through all 3 booklets, etc.)

In any case, I'm selling the box set heavily discounted at $18 (less than 13,50 Eur), so basically for the price of one CD you get all three...

But if you insist, please by all means, contact me and I'll break and sell any single cd from the set at regular cd price, thanks.
Very generous. But I cant ask for that.

Might buy the whole thing instead.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Yes, Marching Into Hell is great. I was planning to buy this when you first released it, but didn't because it was being sold as a box set and I already had both vinyl releases. However, I recently bought it from Sentinel Steel during the 30% off everything sale. (Ironically I only saved a few cents now that you are offering the set for $18.) Anyway, as xr2m said, worth the price for Marching... alone.