"CORE VALUES"!!! :D

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
DaN
Administructor

"CORE VALUES"!!! :D

Post by DaN »

So it's FINALLY out!! :D

I know opinions have differed quite a lot since they released those clips on their home page more than a year ago, but personally I loved every second of them. I can honestly say I have NEVER heard an old cult band who managed to both renew themselves and still keep their original, obscure sound so well. "Core Values" WILL be the album of 2007, of this I have no doubts what so ever.

So have anyone gotten a chance to listen to the whole CD yet? Opinions? Expectations? Fuck-U-DaN-your-taste-is-HORRIBLE's?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

now this is good news! must buy....
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

For a second there I thought this would be a thread about hardcore ethics hehe. (Me taking no heed to what the forum section was)
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I'll have to give this a try! I love Sarcofagus but when I had a listen to the samples of Core Values a year back they didn't sound right to my ears and I wasn't impressed. Still waiting on the Motorbirds DVD!
Mattila

Value is the lightness or darkness of a colour

Post by Mattila »

Achtung! Acquired Taste Hazard!

It’s decidedly Sarcofagus from the word ‘go’ till the end of the French version of “2nd Coming”, the last cut on offer. Then again, they were always experimental, weird, and OTT on the first two albums as well, and “Moottorilinnut” wasn’t all fun and hit singles either, was it? “Core Values” is heavy in every sense of the word. It is non-compromising, nerve-wrecking, creepy… etc. And quite possibly unlistenable in places. To put it simply, Sarcofagus are not exactly doing their darnedest to be agreeable in the ears of people on the lookout for some “safe” old school metal. This is *not* old school metal, you see. At times, calling it metal is a bit of a stretch in itself (e.g. “Self Dysmorphic Disorder” to a certain extent). This is Sarcofagus, and the very word is synonymous with modern/mystical/mind control/pyramids/ageless conspiracies et cetera ad infinitum.

Dammit, do I freaking love the track “Techgnostic”, for example! Makes my skin crawl… reminds me of Mana Mana, actually. On acid, to boot. And the title track is another success, and then there’s “2nd Coming”… The black contract still applies--sworn to the dark, brothers and sisters, don’t break the oath!

Fantastic guitar work from mastermind Kuusniemi throughout, riffs to die for, the drum programming is as good as it can be (needless to say, I’d prefer a real life drummer), and Tanja Katinka Karttunen’s vocals are a hell of a lot more convincing than I expected… She does a great job.

Loathe it if you must, but you cannot possibly argue with Kimmo Kuusniemi ‘cause for once, here’s an artist with a voice of his own.
to the death!
Noisenik

Re: Value is the lightness or darkness of a colour

Post by Noisenik »

Mattila wrote:Achtung! Acquired Taste Hazard!

It’s decidedly Sarcofagus from the word ‘go’ till the end of the French version of “2nd Coming”, the last cut on offer. Then again, they were always experimental, weird, and OTT on the first two albums as well, and “Moottorilinnut” wasn’t all fun and hit singles either, was it? “Core Values” is heavy in every sense of the word. It is non-compromising, nerve-wrecking, creepy… etc. And quite possibly unlistenable in places. To put it simply, Sarcofagus are not exactly doing their darnedest to be agreeable in the ears of people on the lookout for some “safe” old school metal. This is *not* old school metal, you see. At times, calling it metal is a bit of a stretch in itself (e.g. “Self Dysmorphic Disorder” to a certain extent). This is Sarcofagus, and the very word is synonymous with modern/mystical/mind control/pyramids/ageless conspiracies et cetera ad infinitum.

Dammit, do I freaking love the track “Techgnostic”, for example! Makes my skin crawl… reminds me of Mana Mana, actually. On acid, to boot. And the title track is another success, and then there’s “2nd Coming”… The black contract still applies--sworn to the dark, brothers and sisters, don’t break the oath!

Fantastic guitar work from mastermind Kuusniemi throughout, riffs to die for, the drum programming is as good as it can be (needless to say, I’d prefer a real life drummer), and Tanja Katinka Karttunen’s vocals are a hell of a lot more convincing than I expected… She does a great job.

Loathe it if you must, but you cannot possibly argue with Kimmo Kuusniemi ‘cause for once, here’s an artist with a voice of his own.
Whoa! If you say so, then I really have to check them out. I love items which acquire taste. From Gentle Giant onward.
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Re: Value is the lightness or darkness of a colour

Post by DaN »

Mattila wrote:Achtung! Acquired Taste Hazard!

A description that coincides with my expectations for sure :twisted:
Just one week left before I will hold it in my hands! No, SARCOFAGUS were never about playing it safe and for once and old band seem to have the decency and pondus to keep the homefires burnin'... Can we expect an exclusive Kimmo-interview in a future Isten?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Just broke my "Core Values" virginity. First sex feels like an unsignificant anecdote... Best. Comeback. Album. Ever.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Another title for the want list, Sarcofagus is GREAT!!!
Long Live The Loud !!!
anthares

Post by anthares »

Have to find this asap!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN, is it possible to obtain this outside of Finland. browsed web but found only finnish addresses ...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Noisenik wrote:DaN, is it possible to obtain this outside of Finland. browsed web but found only finnish addresses ...
I have absolutely no clue. I was handed my copy from Mr. Pentagramophone when he visited Sthlm. (for the TREAT re-union show :lol: )
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Damn! Seems that outta Finland not one distributors cares for it. Got to go to Google again ...
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

For all people from EU countries, this place has the album. http://www.cdon.com/

For what it's worth though, my first impressions were very negative. I just hated it, but I loved the first two and the Kuusniemi album, so I'm going to listen to it again. There's a modern element that just comes over as very "nu-metal" to me. Sorry, but as of now this was a huge disappointment.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

great_knuthulhu wrote:For all people from EU countries, this place has the album. http://www.cdon.com/

There's a modern element that just comes over as very "nu-metal" to me.

I haven't heard CV yet, but why do i have a feeling that you're telling the truth?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart