2011

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8188

Post#16 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:06 am

mordred wrote:It isn't opinion, it's common sense. I don't know why I keep trying talking sense to you on occasion but yeah, why don't you start e-mailing all the magazines that has Human Remains in their 2011 end of year polls and educate them how Hell's new album is in fact not new.
I think it's obvious from our indifferences in the past that we aren't going to agree any time soon. I tried to take the high road and leave it at that stating that it’s is a matter of opinion but you want to push your side like there is no alternative. Stating that because many other sources share your point of view makes it the correct one is a poor argument. Since when did the opinion of the masses become the right one? By this logic top 40 charts would be the golden standard in which lies musical quality because the general consumer determines these albums to be ranked higher then everything else out there. They don’t take into account the marketing push and the money thrown around to ensure that X new artists single is widely accessible. Just because many people share your same opinion doesn't make it the right one, it simply makes it the popular one. Popularity isn't determined by honesty.

I guess all of these discography compilation albums popping up should be in 2011 lists as well, right?.
Last edited by Avenger on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

User avatar
mordred
Posts: 1719

Post#17 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Avenger wrote:By this logic top 40 charts would be the golden standard in which lies musical quality because the general consumer determines it to be ranked higher then everything else out there.
Top 40 charts determines nothing else than what is selling the most copies, which incidentially is not a matter of opinion either, sales are facts. Bad comparison.
Avenger wrote:I guess all of these discography compilation albums popping up should be in 2011 lists as well, right?.
If compilation albums would have belonged in the 2011 lists with the new Hell album and other new albums, well then they would have been.

I think if you think one step further you'll realize you're not making sense. Any album released at any time might contain songs or ideas that are age old wether you know the origin of the idea or not. Half of the songs on Overdrive's 2008 album were written back in the 80's but never released before. What does that make it, half a new album? The opening song on the newest Candlemass album had its riffs lifted off an unreleased song from Leif Edling's pre Candlemass band Witchcraft. So what's that, a 90 percent new album? While Heaven Wept's album Vast Oceans Lachrymose (2009) was written in the 90's except for the lyrics. Wasn't that a new album either, or are the 90's new enough?

Really not important issue this, but merry christmas anyway.
In some lost corner of the world there sits a leprechaun laughing merrily atop a mountain of mysteriously lost LP innersleeves

User avatar
Marken
Posts: 453

Post#18 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:06 pm

But the most important thing is that Revenge (Colombia) has released a new album! Sadly I can't find it.
I found it in one japanese shop, but they are sold out. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
I will probably have a hard time sleeping until the cd has arrived. Probably have to order a flight-ticket to Colombia and bring it home myself. Sometimes I hate that Revenge are that fantastic.

If anyone of you have some suggestions to where to find it, I would really appreciate it!
Revenge "Metal is: addiction and obsession" - that's the name of the game.

User avatar
nightsblood
Posts: 2407

Post#19 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:49 pm

I got about 36 new releases this year.

(lists below do not consider Anthologies, reissues, etc; sorry if a couple of '2010s slipped in by mistake)

6 Favorites:
Twisted Tower Dire (probably just edsges out Riot for my favorite of the year)
Riot
High Spirits
Black Oath
Storm Warrior
While Heaven Wept

6 Other Good Ones:
Primordial
Argus
Hibria
Gates of Slumber
Graveyard
Necros Christos

5 Disappointments:
Pentagram (and I'm a huge Penta-mark, but I knew this would be weak as soon as the track list was revealed)
Burzum
40 Watt Sun
Condenadoes
Procession

Just my opinions, so anyone disagreeing with these lists is obviously wrong :D
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky

User avatar
daniel
Posts: 1992

Post#20 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Not sure if anything I bought was released this year, did receive a few CD:s though, and listened to a bunch.

Necros Christos was great, as an album whole, unlike most else which had some good songs here and there.
Riot sounded good, a lot of cheesy moments there however.
While Heaven Wept - "Fear of Infinity" was disappointingly sappy :/
40 Watt Sun was also very poor, enough with the whiny relationship lyrics already, and as a friend described it; like Warning stripped of the metal elements they had left.
Enjoyed seeing The Gates of Slumber and Pentagram live, haven't listened to the albums that much.
Listened to the Portrait album twice, and all I hear in almost every track is how they DIRECTLY rip of Mercyful Fate over and over - pointless.
I'd also view the Hell album as a new release.
There was more but don't feel like typing.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.

User avatar
mordred
Posts: 1719

Post#21 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:36 pm

@nightsblood
Procession was actually December 2010, but you being disappointed in it is shocking! To me "Destroyers of the Faith" is the best doom album in the last five years together with Warning "Watching From a Distance" and Spiritus Mortis "The God Behind the God".
In some lost corner of the world there sits a leprechaun laughing merrily atop a mountain of mysteriously lost LP innersleeves

User avatar
nightsblood
Posts: 2407

Post#22 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:51 pm

mordred wrote:@nightsblood
Procession was actually December 2010, but you being disappointed in it is shocking! To me "Destroyers of the Faith" is the best doom album in the last five years together with Warning "Watching From a Distance" and Spiritus Mortis "The God Behind the God".
Thought it might've been late 2010.
What can I say? I thought the production was awful and robbed it of a lot of heaviness, and I didn't think the songwriting was very good either. I played it repeatedly and never even came close to liking it. I really liked their 1st release, so this one was a big disappointment to me. It's cool if you liked it. 2 people have said they didn't like 'Fear of Infinity' but you and I ranked it high; I thought it was a great follow-up to the godly 'Vast Oceans Lachrymose' but others complain about it for reasons I don't get :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky

The_Elite
Posts: 129

Post#23 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:22 am

Nothing even remotely comes close to In Solitude or The Devil's Blood albums for me.

Also: Necros Christos, Negative Plane, Portrait, Hell, High Spirits, Blood Ceremony, Reverorum Ib Malacht, Morbus Chron, Sonne Adam, Vanhelgd, Maim, Invidious mlp, Reveal, Antichrist, Numinous, Black Oath, Craft.... +some more

Lots of AWESOME reissues: Cloven Hoof, Boss Tweed, Frigid Bitch, Satan demo lp, TONS of High Roller lps.

(Plus a bunch of non-metal: Feist, Grimes, Tori Amos, Owl Service eps, The Unthanks)

Gig highlights.... bear with me I can't really think right now.... The Devil's Blood, Satan (twice!), Pentagram/Horisont last week, Witchgrave/In Solitude/Morbus Chron and others @ live evil festival....

Disappointments: Hell live.

User avatar
sovdat
Posts: 2609
Contact:

Post#24 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:24 am

I only bought one 2011 release: DYZ - Welcome to My World. Not sure if it counts though, since the tracks were written during the last 15 years ;)

User avatar
Trigger
Posts: 856

Post#25 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:03 am

The_Elite wrote:
Disappointments: Hell live.
Really?I have no idea how they played there,but watching them play here was a huge shock for me and loved them even more!This band would have been huge,next to the big names out there as they have both a killer setlist and a tremendous show and performance on stage!
Never trust the Goblin King....

The_Elite
Posts: 129

Post#26 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 pm

It just seemed really over rehearsed and sterile to me, the frontman especially- like he'd literally had a choreographer and practiced his 'moves' in front of a mirror for weeks to show how 'insane' he is... But hey, then again many of my friends thought they were one of the best live acts they'd ever seen!

User avatar
dford
Posts: 230

Post#27 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:19 pm

The lp's I listened to the most this year would be
WHILE HEAVEN WEPT FEAR OF INFINITY
BLACK OATH THE THRID ARON
40 WATT SUN THE LISTENING ROOM
CIANIDE GODS OF DEATH
FLOGGING MOLLY SPEED OF DARKNESS
PESTILENCE DOCTRINE
HEATHEN HOOF ROCK CRUSADER

User avatar
dford
Posts: 230

Post#28 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:25 pm

Can't believe I forgot Motorhead The World Is Yours, so impressed with this one. Most of the their albums have been hit and miss lately, this one could be added to the "listen from beginning to end" thread for me.

User avatar
Black Axe
Posts: 3098
Contact:

Post#29 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:36 pm

dford wrote:Can't believe I forgot Motorhead The World Is Yours, so impressed with this one. Most of the their albums have been hit and miss lately, this one could be added to the "listen from beginning to end" thread for me.
You had it right the first time around. TWIY is a 2010 album. ;)

User avatar
Warepire
Posts: 1356
Contact:

Post#30 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Trigger wrote:
The_Elite wrote:
Disappointments: Hell live.
Really?I have no idea how they played there,but watching them play here was a huge shock for me and loved them even more!This band would have been huge,next to the big names out there as they have both a killer setlist and a tremendous show and performance on stage!
I have to agree with Trigger, when I saw they played only killer tracks and had a great audience interaction, sadly the show was a little dull but that's typical Sweden for not letting them use all their props due to "safety".
What good is a life that leaves nothing behind, not a thought nor a dream to echo in time...
So what have I done in the eyes of the world, what have I done that will remain?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron