KIT XV

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Nicko McBuff wrote:Have a blast guys, see you hopefully next year.

so many bands i wanted to see this year.....im gonna miss even my Corro shirt :x

bring on those reviews!
GJ

Post by GJ »

Arch/Matheos is the greatest Fates Warning cover band ever! I would even consider forgiving them for inserting original material in their set. Arrrrch!
Element0s

Post by Element0s »

just saw the "Guardian" video. ugh, I don't know how I allowed myself to miss this.
Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

Arch is God.

I was gutted that I was too late for the meet and greet - organisers, if you're going to have a signing session in a different location, be a bit clearer about what/where the "fantribune" is... the security guards didn't even know. Finally found it and queued for half an hour, then got turned away as the time ran out.

Anyway it was a concert not a fan convention, and their performance was stunning. Would have loved to hear Fata Morgana, but the other classics were amazing - The Apparition was a "die happy" moment for sure, as was Exodus. Matheos didn't seem to be having too much fun with the old stuff but Arch clearly loved it! Really hope they come back to Europe.
Aiden

Post by Aiden »

Damn great weekend! Absolutely wrecked now but it was worth it.
Missed Cauchemar and Portrait due to traveling. Witch Cross were very good but I probably would have enjoyed them better if I had seen a few bands earlier. Sometimes the first band you see only start to get you in the mood.
Adramelch and Slough Feg were stunning. Mr. Scalzi really does command your attention. I missed Mystic Force and Sword due to talking shite outside. Yes, I am retarded.
Sentinel Beast were the first band of interest on saturday and they were excellent. Ostrogoth were one of my main reasons for going. The music was excellent but the vocals were fairly crap. I thought he murdered the chorus for Paris By Night. Tension were unreal. I couldn't believe how good they were. The only shit thing about them was the t-shirts - Return Of The Wrecking Crew - anyone? :lol:
Right, I didn't think about the NWOBHM set before this weekend. I just presumed it would be ok. I ws horribly wrong. It was incredible! Yes, some of those guys vocals are a bit on the rough side these days but it was great music with everyone going mental. Bloody great stuff!
How the hell does Mr. Arch keep that voice going for an hour and a half? Insane!
Cheers to all the Maltese and Croatians who put up with my nonsense! You will be rewarded in Valhalla! No thanks to Irish wankers with Buckfast! And where did that Glenfiddich come from?! Madness!
It was good to meet Dan and get a Corroseum shirt. All the ladies are going to love this! :lol:
I'm off to bed. Good night and I'll see you next year!
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Still can't believe how incredibly shitty that Arch / Matheos set list was. Yet the performance was GREAT, the 6 classic songs were definitely the highlight of this KIT festival.
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

Keep it short:

Weather - Almost too hot! Good that we got a few drops of rain.

Records fair - Spent alot on the Randy 7" so I didnt get that much else. Traded me a copy of Pentagram - Day of reckoning. Got some stuff from HRR. Some german guy gave me some german CDs as well.

Party - A bit calm in the nights, otherwise good.

Bands - I enjoyed most bands I saw. Best was probably Whiplash and Slough feg.

Travelling/camping buddies - 5/5 had a lot of fun in the car and in the camp.
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
mordred

Post by mordred »

PORTRAIT:
I've seen them like eight times or something and I'll be damned if they don't get better each time. Quite simply one of the top bands of today showed everybody how it's done.

WITH CROSS:
Lots of great songs were butchered and that Biff Byford impersonator went home to England tarred and feathered.

OZ:
What a vengeance for the lackluster show at Muskelrock last summer! They were simply firing on all cylinders and put on a high energy packed with great classics and three well chosen new songs.

SLOUGH FEG:
Truly legends in their lifetime, Slough Feg put on a class performance that few if any returncoat band could ever measure up against. Simply an amazing show that was even better than HOA last year. Mike Scalzi is one of the coolest and best front men I have seen in metal.

SWORD:
I don't feel it was quite necessary to give this one hit wonder a four hour playing time. They played all the songs of Sweet Dreams twice, in super long ten minute jam versions, and after seven and a half hours of waiting they finally played "FTW". Great song, good album, good riddance.

SENTINEL BEAST:
I woke up severly hung over but was getting back to life as Sentinel Beast, the first band I wanted to see on the Saturday, began playing. Of course it was more fun to see more of an original lineup than the Debbie Gunn featuring her high school pupils we saw a couple of years ago. They played an intense set but looked a bit, well not overtly excited if you get what I mean. An OK show certainly.

OSTROGOTH:
What, a new singer? Thought they had the original one? Oh well. Ostrogoth did quite well and played all the songs off Full Moon's Eyes, but they had a bad sound and they didn't do anything off Too Hot. Me and a friend had been talking for two years about singing along to Love in the Streets and then they don't even play it. Minor fiasco, but all in all certainly an OK show.

ANVIL:
Lip's guitar and Robb Reiner's drums put together is the sonic thunder of crushing iron. When they play their songs that is, not when they waste 15 of their given 60 minutes of Rob beating his kit and Lips grinding the guitar with a dildo. They did the same predictable classics they always do and a couple songs off the newest album. Good show, Anvil never truly disappointes, but I have seen them better.

NWOBHM sausage fest
It was so hot inside the venue I watched most of this set from just outside the main exit which didn't turn out to be such a bad spot after all. Somehow I feel like this set was a more well oiled machinery than the similar set two years ago. I loved most of this, with a highlight being Carl Sentance appearing to sing Persian Risk's "Riding High". A great NWOBHM gem, probably a bit overlooked because it's not so rare?

ARCH/MATHEOS:
Words can not describe. John Arch sang with the heart on his sleeve and worked the crowd amazingly considering he hasn't played a concert since 1987. If I ever heard anybody sing everything like he truly meant and believed in every word, this was it. I liked the original Arch/Matheos material that was performed, but just as soon as they went into the intro of "Sorceress" I spontaneously ejaculated. "Guardian" was the biggest die happy moment though. Matheos looked bored yes but I know he looks bored as hell when playing with Fates Warning too so that probably doesn't mean so much. Anyway certainly the most intense concert experience of the weekend for me. I could have done with a little longer show, to get to hear "Fata Morgana", but I was completely floored after the "Exodus" encore nonetheless.

Otherwise all in all a great weekend. I missed Tytan because I was feeling way to comfortable drinking grogg in a chair in the sun, but stuff like that always happens.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

CAUCHEMAR - Fans of the band will have to excuse me, but their material is unlistenable for me. Very bad Candlemass cover as well, worst band of the festival.

PORTRAIT - Can't say that I find their albums mindblowing, they gave a pretty good show though and played with passion. I prefer their current singer to their previous one.

WITCH CROSS - What mordred said

OZ - Very energetic and good selection of songs, I thoroughly enjoyed them although I only like a few of their tracks from here and there

ADRAMELCH - Basically only heard them, I thought they were at least as good as in UTH festival few years ago in Athens even though most people got disappointed by the sound and the vocals.

MYSTIC FORCE - Good perfomance, but this was not Mystic Force and they shouldn't be called like that.

SLOUGH FEG - Watched half of their set and they were pretty good. Another band that never really clicked with me although I do enjoy several of their tracks.

SWORD - Was very very positively surprised by the singer who has kept his voice almost intact. OK, Sweet Dreams is not really a great album, however Metallized was always a highly enjoyable album for me from which I have very fond memories. With a shorter set and less tracks from Sweet Dreams this would have been a really killer show.

PSYCHOTIC WALTZ - This was pure magic. Totally unbelievable. Rock/McAlpin must be the best guitar duo I've ever seen on stage. Even though we were really exhausted the time they started this is something that will be remembered for many many years.

OSTROGOTH - Have seen them before with the original singer, but this time I felt they were much better. Great setlist, 45 minutes full of metal hymns.

WHIPLASH - Enjoyed them very much. Total mayhem in the arena in tracks like Burning of Atlanta and Power thrashing death.

TENSION - Really good show from guys that know what heavy metal is about. Tom Gattis is a great figure and a great frontman as well.

ANVIL - Half the set was based on old tracks and the other half on newer tracks which don't really impress me. Something like 10 tracks in total. Their perfomance was good though. Lips' and Rob Reiner's soloing could have been missing in this 1 hour set. A rather forgettable Anvil show.

ARCH/MATHEOS - The new album is not really my cup of tea and therefore the show had its ups and down. Arch was in top form and seemed to enjoy the hell out of it, can't say the same thing for Matheos who at the end left the stage first while the rest were still thanking the crowd. Rude and direspectful, if you don't want to play old Fates material, Jim then don't play it.

Cheers to everyone I've met and, at last, we got those Corroseum t-shirts in our hands!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
Nonseinormale65

Post by Nonseinormale65 »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
Nicko McBuff wrote:Have a blast guys, see you hopefully next year.

so many bands i wanted to see this year.....im gonna miss even my Corro shirt :x

bring on those reviews!
Reviews?i recorded almost all the bands shows...and let me tell you the quality is quite good,wait and see!!!

P.S. I finally got a Corroseum t-shirt from Dan :D
Solo i morti hanno visto la fine della guerra.
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

Divine Victim wrote:Arch is God.
Yes Sir.

´The Apparition´, ´Damnation´ and especially ´Guardian´ = best KIT moments ever for me, and I´ve been there since KIT number two.
Divine Victim

Post by Divine Victim »

Exodus was the pinnacle for me. Unbeatable set closer!
ION BRITTON wrote:PSYCHOTIC WALTZ - This was pure magic. Totally unbelievable. Rock/McAlpin must be the best guitar duo I've ever seen on stage. Even though we were really exhausted the time they started this is something that will be remembered for many many years.
Wow, really? Their set literally bored me to sleep on the balcony - so many plodding numbers with very little technical coolness like the records (unless they were at the end and I slept through them of course). Great reviewing there by me.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I assume you're not a big fan of theirs, right? Anyway, I still think that PW are not a band that fits perfectly in the atmosphere of KIT. Far from it actually. As a fan I enjoyed their show a lot, they gave much more than I could ask for in year 2012. Duration of the set probably was an issue for the majority since it was already late by the time they started and 2,5 h live can tire someone, fan or no fan, much more when he has been watching shows from 11 a.m.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Lama

Post by Lama »

Thanks a million guys for the reviews! Aaarrgghh soooo pissed that I wasn't there when I read all of this. However, ticket for next year is already in my claws :twisted:

No Corroseum-shirts left I suggest :evil: ?
Kampel Destruction