"RED, WHITE, and HEAVY" demo series

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Then here are a few recommendations that quickly come to mind:
Wrathblade
Midnight Priest
Portrait
Enforcer
Convixion
Vigilance
Trial
Attic
Boomerang
Alpha Tiger
Released Anger
Litany
Menace
Deceptor (UK)
Air-raid
Green & Wood
Renacer
Icaro
Razorwyre
Borrowed Time
Skullfist
Evil-Lyn
Still Heaven
the list is endless really, I can write many more and there are good bands in every genre.
Never trust the Goblin King....
Lama

Post by Lama »

Trigger wrote:It's sad some people look at the release date of an album and then decide if they want to listen to it or not! I can see a statement like "new bands are boring while old ones rule" at least as a hilarious one, as much as a childish and immature generalization like "new bands are worst than the old ones". This only proves you haven't listened to more than 5 new bands. It's better comparing music per se than dates. How long do you think that metal will last without new bands coming out by the way, if you believe that metal is still alive because of underground demo bands? Saying all new bands suck doesn't do justice to hundreds of worthwhile new comers that do a fantastic job, maybe you should try checking out a few and do yourself a favor dude! no matter how good some old bands were, good music didn't stop in the 80's.
100% agreed.
Kampel Destruction
mordred

Post by mordred »

Touchy subject eh?

Firstly, I have several boxes full of cd-rom discs with demos, rehearsals and all kinds of "odd" recordings so I listen to that kind of material quite often. It's just that I genuinely think that every decent metal recording that was ever made doesn't have to be released and certainly not 25 to 30 years later. For example, I've had the Battlecry "Cry of the warrior" and Valkyrie "Deeds of prowess" demos on cd-r for many years. It's OK stuff (though not one cent more original than Midnight Priest just because it's older) but I'm not gonna rush out and buy the recordings on shiny silver disc just because such suddenly becomes available. I'm happy for everybody who enjoy releases like that, but for me they're a waste of time and I got better things to do with my money.

Lastly it's quite amusing how you're trying to flame Marken... it's just that to him the Angel Witch debut album isn't automatically more interesting than the new one just because it's from the 80's, which is the case with you.
daniel wrote:Bizarre comments. People acting as if EVERYTHING MP do hasn't been done, and better in the past, they are in no way original. I have the demo tape and thought it was forgettable. The latest album which I'm again listening to on YouTube to make sure, is ok, much better than the demo, but it's not hitting me hard and saying I need this now.

It's surprising that attitudes so negative towards old demos even exist here on this board, to me I can't think anyone really likes metal unless they have some love for the lo-fi demo stuff with all of their sometime shortcomings. Again, this Marken guy, just baffles me. From calling Angel Witch "generic" and "boring" and getting their new record but refusing to do so with their debut simply because it's "old", and now saying no 80's demos are interesting, sorry dude, but have you got some mental issues? "Everyone's preferences are different" and all that PC bullshit aside it's on par with saying my gay lover, Iron Savior, Nightwish, are superior to Judas Priest Maiden and Omen.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
daniel

Post by daniel »

You might have realised all that wasn't aimed at you.

I listen to new bands as much as old ones, and certainly don't limit myself to metal(only listening to metal is an impossible idea and can't say I'd assume anyone to be too interesting if that were the case with them). Just last night I heard Tim Hecker's "Ravedeath 1972" which was amazing ("The Piano Drop") and Peaking Lights who had some nice songs :)
I don't think all old demos need re-releasing either and I'm also happy to have the music in any form, though you are the one who pitted the validity of either choice here against each other.

Wouldn't agree that once something has been copied or an abundant influence incorporated, that the measure of unoriginality would somehow freeze. Bands copying bands who copied others back then, are certainly less original in my mind, I don't get where you're coming from on that.

Yeah, I made it clear I have an issue with Marken's weird attitude. He already said it's not only AW, so your reaching with your provocation. And I don't know in what world AW would be considered generic seeing how varied the record is compared to tons of other bands at the time, it was 1980 for fuck's sake. Nor was it a case of something being more interesting because of the year with me, but for him, as he plainly stated.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I don't see as many Stormspell releases in European distro's than I did about 2 years ago. I had to search for them rather than just selecting a random distro like I used to. :(

I usually check out samples of the new albums too, but I just don't like them as much as I do the archival releases.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Everyone's tastes are different.

People buy releases that they like and that they can afford, end of story.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

nightsblood wrote:end of story.
But I wanna argue, dammit! :lol:

Looking forward to the Iscariot.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

nightsblood wrote:Everyone's tastes are different.

People buy releases that they like and that they can afford, end of story.
That they want to afford. I can afford a 100+ dollar LP, but I'll never pay such a ridiculous amount for it.

I'm not very familiar with the newest upcoming batch of RWH releases, so I'm looking forward to some samples.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Next installment on our RWH collectors demo series - the cult and arcane thrash masters ARACHNID from Portland, Oregon. Pure, raw, and aggressive thrash with looming, dark, and mysterious atmosphere. For fans of Sindrome, Morbid Saint, and Sepultura (Beneath the Remains circa)

Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

stormspell wrote: Sindrome, Morbid Saint, and Sepultura (Beneath the Remains circa)
Judging by the tracks I have heard off myspace Morbid Saint is the most fitting comparison, although Arachnid doesn`t sound that 'scathing'.
BTW, are you going to update your webpage?
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Herkus Monte wrote:BTW, are you going to update your webpage?
Eventually I will. I'm actually tired of fiddling with the ancient html code every time I have to post an update, so I'm looking for knowledgeable and affordable (strong emphasis on both words) person who can set up and customize a wordpress or joomla website for me.

Meanwhile, for news and updates, go to: http://www.facebook.com/Stormspell.Records
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I've never heard of Horror Piknik before but a big FUCK YES for these:
stormspell wrote:ARACHNID, RESTLESS BREED, ISCARIOT, CHALICE
stormspell wrote:Image
Also, this is a pretty damn kick ass cover but I still think you should consider putting the original tape cover on the reverse side like you have some of your other releases.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Avenger wrote:
Also, this is a pretty damn kick ass cover but I still think you should consider putting the original tape cover on the reverse side like you have some of your other releases.
I agree, the original art doesn`t deserve to fall into oblivion.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Sorry dudes, this is an RHW release and the specific RWH layout requirements apply to it.

Besides, the original art is lost and all I've been given is a scan from an inkjet printout made from a low-res image (probably the same taken from M-A). Which would be sufficient if I was releasing a postal-stamp version of the album, but definitely not good for CD cover artwork... :lol:

So yeah, in a nutshell, unless you are, or know the original artist and can provide me with the original art in native hi-resolution, we go with the options currently available.

But no worries, the original art will be included in the booklet somewhere, as part of a collage or something.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

stormspell wrote:Sorry dudes, this is an RHW release and the specific RWH layout requirements apply to it.

Besides, the original art is lost and all I've been given is a scan from an inkjet printout made from a low-res image (probably the same taken from M-A). Which would be sufficient if I was releasing a postal-stamp version of the album, but definitely not good for CD cover artwork... :lol:

So yeah, in a nutshell, unless you are, or know the original artist and can provide me with the original art in native hi-resolution, we go with the options currently available.

But no worries, the original art will be included in the booklet somewhere, as part of a collage or something.
I know someone with an original copy of the demo tape. Would a 600 x 600 scan of the j-card suffice?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."