"RED, WHITE, and HEAVY" demo series

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

doomedplanet wrote:Iscariot great news!!!!!
Too right!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

stormspell wrote: The one thing is certain though, if you want to speed things up - support the current releases so I can recoup cash for next ones. I'm in a bit of hardship with all medical bills piling in my mailbox, and this could slow the label down considerably. Thanks in advance!
How things are going concerning the sales of the first three, Iordan? I was almost 100% sure that they would have gone away like fresh bread! If not, something is rotten in the metal kingdom!
Right now I can't think something more enjoyable to listen that a nice 80's demo reissue! Apart from your great series, I enjoyed very much, recently, the Valkyrie and Overlorde ones!
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I wish I could report overnight sellouts like some lucky fellow labels seem to score these days. Unfortunately, this is not the case and all 3 current RWH volumes are still in stock.
mordred

Post by mordred »

It's far more disturbing if killer stuff like Midnight Priest and The Horde doesn't sell than if some darned demo reissue doesn't.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

mordred wrote:It's far more disturbing if killer stuff like Midnight Priest and The Horde doesn't sell than if some darned demo reissue doesn't.
Demo re-issues sell far better than MP and The Horde combined. That's why I'm shifting my focus primarily on RHW these days.
Marken

Post by Marken »

That's a shame.
Stuff like Midnight Priest, Space Eater and Immaculate are brilliant bands that should have made both you and them swimming in luxury.
Old demostuff are of no interest for me, but I'm happy for you, mr. stormspell, that other people buy those kind of releases.
By the way, really looking forward to the Air Raid-cd.
leifkr

Post by leifkr »

I like your releases in both categories, but I agree with the posters above that its crucial to support new releases from up and coming bands. Really enjoy the Airraid-CD, and have also purchased the Battlecry-rerelease. Will get Aerian Rage as well, but since I already own Max Planck on vinyl, I will pass on the CD-version.
mordred

Post by mordred »

stormspell wrote:
mordred wrote:It's far more disturbing if killer stuff like Midnight Priest and The Horde doesn't sell than if some darned demo reissue doesn't.
Demo re-issues sell far better than MP and The Horde combined. That's why I'm shifting my focus primarily on RHW these days.
I was pretty sure of that and like I said it's disturbing, and gay. Not to mention the Midnight Priest album is quite simply put much better than 95 percent of the old demo archive stuff that is being put out by many labels for posterity. Personally I have very little to no interest in that.

I genuinely wish Stormspell all luck and success anyway.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
daniel

Post by daniel »

Bizarre comments. People acting as if EVERYTHING MP do hasn't been done, and better in the past, they are in no way original. I have the demo tape and thought it was forgettable. The latest album which I'm again listening to on YouTube to make sure, is ok, much better than the demo, but it's not hitting me hard and saying I need this now.

It's surprising that attitudes so negative towards old demos even exist here on this board, to me I can't think anyone really likes metal unless they have some love for the lo-fi demo stuff with all of their sometime shortcomings. Again, this Marken guy, just baffles me. From calling Angel Witch "generic" and "boring" and getting their new record but refusing to do so with their debut simply because it's "old", and now saying no 80's demos are interesting, sorry dude, but have you got some mental issues? "Everyone's preferences are different" and all that PC bullshit aside it's on par with saying Hammerfall, Iron Savior, Nightwish, are superior to Judas Priest Maiden and Omen.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Marken

Post by Marken »

Not even demostuff of my favorite-bands would be very interesting to me. It's not just that it's old, I don't buy new demos either.
Anyway, I like metal, believe it or not. And I have some albums from both Hammerfall and Nightwish in my collection. Shoot me.

I'm on this forum to check out and get info on new releases and also start some topics about new releases I think deserve some attention.
It's not only on this forum, but often it seems like most people find old records more attractive than new releases. Well, I'm the other way around. Simply because I think there are so much great new music to discover, and I like to support bands that COULD have a future and release more killer albums in the coming years.
By stating this I can see that I SHOULD take interest in buying new demos, but those releases just don't attract me. It's just the way it is. Fullengths please me much more.

I checked out the Angel Witch-debut. Sounded average/ok.

But like I stated earlier, I really hope Stormspell can gain some good sales from these RHW-releases. He deserves it. Really hope he put out some killer new bands in the future as well.
akira

Post by akira »

New bands are boring and uninspired, and I don't listen to them at all. Old bands rule. There was so much unexplored and unknown and i can't believe there are people who say that new bands are better. Never in the Million years. These 80's metal bands are 1000 % better than anything new. Iordan keep on releasing demos, cause it's the only way people to find out how much bands like Black Bible, Blacklist (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) or Vatican ( Ohio) were awesome.
Underground metal and demo bands kept metal rolling and because of them metal is still alive.
All who say that new bands are good listen both cd's of Commandment and then say that we don't need old demo rereleases :roll:
Last edited by akira on Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

It's sad some people look at the release date of an album and then decide if they want to listen to it or not! I can see a statement like "new bands are boring while old ones rule" at least as a hilarious one, as much as a childish and immature generalization like "new bands are worst than the old ones". This only proves you haven't listened to more than 5 new bands. It's better comparing music per se than dates. How long do you think that metal will last without new bands coming out by the way, if you believe that metal is still alive because of underground demo bands? Saying all new bands suck doesn't do justice to hundreds of worthwhile new comers that do a fantastic job, maybe you should try checking out a few and do yourself a favor dude! no matter how good some old bands were, good music didn't stop in the 80's.
Never trust the Goblin King....
akira

Post by akira »

Trigger wrote:It's sad some people look at the release date of an album and then decide if they want to listen to it or not! I can see a statement like "new bands are boring while old ones rule" at least as a hilarious one, as much as a childish and immature generalization like "new bands are worst than the old ones". This only proves you haven't listened to more than 5 new bands. It's better comparing music per se than dates. How long do you think that metal will last without new bands coming out by the way, if you believe that metal is still alive because of underground demo bands? Saying all new bands suck doesn't do justice to hundreds of worthwhile new comers that do a fantastic job, maybe you should try checking out a few and do yourself a favor dude! no matter how good some old bands were, good music didn't stop in the 80's.
Of all new bands that I listened I only liked Dexter Ward and Italians Sign oF the Jackal. I am not to blame that new bands are nothing special. There should be new bands for the sake of metal and they will always have an audience.
Element0s

Post by Element0s »

I hate to take away from Stormspell's topic any more, but I don't get these sweeping generalizations about new bands or old. I have many releases by underground 80's bands and I keep myself in the loop with the new groups these days because it's important to acknowledge both sides. Sure, the 80's was a magical time when good heavy metal was exploring and fresh, but there were loads of shitty, generic bands from that time period. As far as new bands go, I don't give a fuck if they are super original or just old worship, as long as they are honest, write good songs and have some energy than I'm all for it. If you write off all the new bands then the genre stagnates and dies, and if you ignore the old music, you're denying yourself some forgotten metal gems and the chance to learn and grow from what these older bands have done.

If you just happen to really love the production of 80's demo bands then to me that's just as superficial as loving modern production, just in the other direction. I've heard some nearly unlistenable 80's demos and the same goes for brickwalled modern albums.
Marken

Post by Marken »

I should point out that I really enjoy 80s metal too. I have been a metal-fan since 1985, so I have my share of 80s and 90s stuff, but I truly think there are just as many, and maybe even more, great releases these days than it was in the 80s.

That's it for me. Now back to Stormspell...