Portrait

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Sammi Curr

Post by Sammi Curr »

VAST improvement on the 7 inch! The production is so fucking there, reverb is most true.

EDIT: Fuck man, these songs are so massive. Can't wait!
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I thought both songs of the 7" were really awesome. And those two new songs are excellent as well. Can`t wait for the album as well!
Lama

Post by Lama »

WOW! This sounds really good indeed! After the great debut the 7" disappointed me, but now Portrait's back on my radar! Massive sound, and the vocalist has improved A LOT!
Kampel Destruction
anthares

Post by anthares »

Oh! They did it again! Another perfect metal album coming I can see!
Sammi Curr

Post by Sammi Curr »

Lama wrote: Massive sound, and the vocalist has improved A LOT!
Eh, I don't think the vocalist was ever anything less than world class, it just sounded like he was trying too hard and way too high in the mix while the first album was more of a unified sum of parts. This new stuff sounds like they're back on track with that.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I liked the sound of the debut better. But the new line-up does sound a lot better with new material than playing stuff from the self titled.
Lukcifer

Post by Lukcifer »

Speaking of Portrait, does anyone have a contact for their bassist Joel Pälvärinne ? I had a really good conversation with him about obscure metal when I saw them in Helsinki recently but totally forgot to ask for his details.
And yes, I've tried contacting the band but I haven't recived a reply to my email.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Wow, something to look forward too!
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Crushing. If these two new tracks are anything to go by then this upcoming release will reign supreme this year.
Väänänen

Post by Väänänen »

The album was unleashed upon Metal Blades web-based promotion service yesterday so the reviews (and leaks) should start popping up all over the place any day now...

I for one really fucking like the album. If they do want to get away from the Mercyful Fate-comparisons they didn't do themselves any favours with "Infinite descension" though - the riffing and the vocal melody is extreeemely MF.
I was never a religious man, so why should I put my faith in you? I'm a heathen searching for his soul.
Satrapold

Post by Satrapold »

Väänänen wrote:If they do want to get away from the Mercyful Fate-comparisons they didn't do themselves any favours with "Infinite descension" though - the riffing and the vocal melody is extreeemely MF.
Of course I cannot speak on behalf for the band, but I got the impression they are not bothered by the comparison per se - but rather the superficial nature of the comparisons like the vocals of former singer Philip. "He sings in falsetto - therefore it sounds like King Diamond and automatically is Mercyful Fate worship" etc. kind of attitude. Anyway new songs sound great, and the sound is really crushing too! I've been listening to their material recently a lot, and can't wait for the new album!
Väänänen

Post by Väänänen »

Ah, I didn't mean that they would be trying to make any conscious move neither to or from Mercyful Fate in any way. It was merely a reflection of that songs style and quality.

I'm sure Lindell or Lagergren can come in here and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I've heard at least one drunken complaint about "what the fuck are they going on about with these MF-comparisons all the time" :wink:
I was never a religious man, so why should I put my faith in you? I'm a heathen searching for his soul.
Oliver/KIT

Post by Oliver/KIT »

I was able to hear the complete album and it is a total killer. For me the 2nd best album in 2011 after the new WHW.
Aiden

Post by Aiden »

I get to see them live tomorrow night. Can't wait! Hopefully a few new songs are played.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I also heard the whole album and it slays from start to finish. 2011 is turning into a monster of a year. I was happy already with the new albums from Darkest Era and Doomsword, but they are eclipsed by albums that are coming out now or in the next couple of months.

40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room
Portrait - Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae
Primordial - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
While Heaven Wept - Fear of Infinity
Hell - Human Remains
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D