"The New Heavy Metal Movement"...

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Louise

Post by Louise »

I know I'm a little late to the party and this thread covers so much of what I'd like to put my two pence worth in (this is essentially my first 'proper' post after trawling and loving this forum for a while so let's take it easy), so anyway... let's focus on one thing, and that is about Enforcer's so-called popularity. What? I just saw them play to about 100-150 in Norway. Not a bad turnout, a fair few were singing along and raising their fists, but it's hardly Wembley fucking stadium. And they've not sold that many records, they're not #1 chart-topper (who is #1 in the UK at the moment... oh wait... Maiden :) )
They've played a few shows outta Sweden, granted. First UK shows were in tiny bars to not many people, then they came back this May, again tiny bars, very few people, they're slowly building up, having just played Bloodstock and Sonisphere thanks to "that" cover. This is no shoe-in, this is no manufactured band put together by the bigwigs at Earache. The band were licenced by Dan Tobin, a full-on metalhead who would fit in here with tales of trawling charity shops to find rare metal gems on 12". He loved them and wanted to help, simple as. Then I, as editor of Terrorizer, heard them, loved them and wanted to do my bit. I think it was pure chance that both Dan and I got together years after originally getting into them and thought we could push this band and push 'heavy metal' back into our own agendas. Do you think I sold many magazines? Do you think my boss is pleased with me right now? Do you think that she wouldn't have much rather me put, I dunno, Arch fucking Enemy on the cover? Of course she would but that's not my jam. When I see a band as passionate about heavy metal as I am I want to support them and with Enforcer I saw a chance to put my stamp on the magazine and somehow help them and bands like them, new and old, get heard.
I just wanted to come on and explain the story behind that cover, if I'd known that people were calling this band sellouts because of what I did then I need to apologise because they're not, I just dig them a lot and since becoming editor I'm trying to crowbar as much of the good shit in that mag as I can. It'll take a while but I'll get there.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i have to thank Dan Tobin for inviting my band to participate in the "heavy metal killers" compilation,which btw most of the people here trashed it like hell (no surprise in that really) :D
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

I mean Cauldron and White Wizzard and all are total bollocks.
I love you Dark Stranger haha!!

ENFORCER have strictly nothing in common with that new wave of crap....
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

big mouth wrote:

Ok,but weren't you disappointed guys by the 2nd album?There's something "fake'' in it that I don't like.....these catchy melodies,don't know,as if they were forced by their label to record something fast.Maybe it's me being weird,but I don't know...
Never trust the Goblin King....
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

big mouth wrote:

didnt Cauldron were around before Enforcer? i would like to know what makes Enforcer no to have strictly anything in common with the new wave of crap
The_Elite

Post by The_Elite »

Trigger wrote:
big mouth wrote:

Ok,but weren't you disappointed guys by the 2nd album?There's something "fake'' in it that I don't like.....these catchy melodies,don't know,as if they were forced by their label to record something fast.Maybe it's me being weird,but I don't know...
Those same catchy melodies of Scorpions and Priest in the 70's...
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

The_Elite wrote:
Trigger wrote:
big mouth wrote:

Those same catchy melodies of Scorpions and Priest in the 70's...
True, but to me Enforcer have lost some of their "bite" while incorporating those melodies. I'm not saying they are "betraying metal" or that "their steel is not true" but they are moving in a direction away from where I'd prefer them to be. I've seen them a few times thinking they were acting big-headed, but I've also met Olof and he acted anything but big-headed so I don't really think Enforcer are any kind of "fake band" or Trojan horses.

Cauldron weren't always what they are now. There was a time when they were a really decent metal band, but they turned out differently after they got signed. Don't really know what happened to them.

White Wizzard are a really, really bad joke.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Yeah the 2nd ENFORCER is not as interesting as the 1st album but it still sounds good, enjoyable so.... nothing like the happy/ wimpy stuff delivered by CAULDRON....

Another band which sounds decent are SKULLFIST from Canada... they could be another CAULDRON -aty times they're close to the limit- but still they've managed to inject enough power and energy in their material to make it sound enjoyable...
Marken

Post by Marken »

The new album from Immaculate sounds pretty good. More thrashy than most of the bands mentioned in this topic, so this post might not belong here.
Both the vocals and music reminds me very much of Realm.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:the whole deal makes me wanna listen to Master´s Hammer,dont know why
Maybe because they are the first black meta band caught in Hawaiian shirts and flip-flops in front of the camera :lol:
jared

Post by jared »

big mouth wrote:Yeah the 2nd ENFORCER is not as interesting as the 1st album
silliest statement ive heard on this forum in awhile
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

silliest statement ive heard on this forum in awhile
Oh it's because you don't know me enough... otherwise you would often hear silly/ jerky statements like this coming from me :lol:
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I just had the new Enforcer playing in my car and it is an awesome album! Fast, catchy, melodic - exactly the album I'd love to listen to while having a nice mug of ale and tapping my foot to the rhythm.

And I'm not going to ditch em just because they were born 20 years later and are a current band sounding like Tokyo Blade or whoever else. There were plenty of derivative 2nd rate bands in the 80s too, and today their albums are mega kvlt and cost hundreds of dollars on eGay (Leather Nunn, Salem's Wych, X-caliber anyone?) - should I listen to them instead of something much better and interesting? I dont think so :)
msp

Post by msp »

Only 80's Rarities are True!
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

msp wrote:Only 80's Rarities are True!
Or the new stuff from bands like Twisted Tower Dire, Pharaoh, Hammers Of Misfortune, Slough Feg etc.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance