Roots to Metallica

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Tim Batkin

Roots to Metallica

Post by Tim Batkin »

Hi All,

Bit of news from the Myspace site -

Roots to Metallica
The Cynic (UK) track, "No Time at All", from the B Side of the 1983 Suicide single vinyl release, has been selected to be part of a 12 track promotional CD, (which also features Tygers of Pan Tang, Witchfynde, Raven amongst others) being issued with the Slam Media GMBH magazine special, titled, "The Roots to Metallica". This magazine hits the shops in Austria, Germany and Switzerland on 14th April. Much has been written generally regarding the NWoBHM influence on Metallica, and in particular the similarity between the Suicide Single and Master of Puppets.

Further information available from http://www.slam-zine.de/rockclassics/

Keep rockin........Cynic (UK)

Best wishes,

Tim
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Whatever one may think about NuTallica's desperate means to reacquire their old Metal-cred - if it results in some exposure to good honest Heavy bands like CYNIC it can't be all bad. Congratz for the exposure, Tim! Hope it will result in some gigs & increased album sales :D
Buried By Time and Dust

Post by Buried By Time and Dust »

I hope Bleak House gets mentioned.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Buried By Time and Dust wrote:I hope Bleak House gets mentioned.
They definitely should get.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Good to see these bands getting exposure again.

Too bad that band never managed to record anything on the same level as these bands/songs that influenced them. And never as heavy either.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I'm not the biggest fan of Metallica but I think Kill 'Em All and AJFA are both better than stuff like Spartan Warrior or Samurai for example. Anyway it's kind of unfair to compare band with such a long carreer and discography to bands who only released a single or two or demos.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

The Erlking wrote:I'm not the biggest fan of Metallica but I think Kill 'Em All and AJFA are both better than stuff like Spartan Warrior or Samurai for example. Anyway it's kind of unfair to compare band with such a long carreer and discography to bands who only released a single or two or demos.
its unfair that one band got rich and famous by ripping off bands who only released a single or two or demos
msp

Post by msp »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote: its unfair that one band got rich and famous by ripping off bands who only released a single or two or demos
That's life for you!
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Ripping off.. Jesus. Do you really think all that there was to Metallica was used riffs? I really don't like to cover their asses but I think some of you are going a bit overboard with this. So 98% of the NWOBHM were just Judas Priest/Motörhead/AC-DC rip offs?
msp

Post by msp »

Even though you are not supposed to like them, Metallica were a massive part of my metal childhood. I think i will always love the first four albums no matter what anyone says. I don't like what they turned into after that though.

Music history is littered with bands who deserved a lot better then they got

If only Metallica had just released a private 7" of 150 copies with hand printed picture sleeve then we could cheer them to the rafters and the ebay mafia would be wanking themselves into a frenzy over it.
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
mordred

Post by mordred »

Metallica's influences cleraly showed, that's for sure. But if there's anything to be said about that, I think it's great of them that they acknowledge their influences and try to put some exposure on them by recording covers, releasing compilations, putting them in their video games and whatnot. Let's face it, Metallica has done more for Diamond Head and Blitzkrieg than anybody else ever did or will ever do.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Yeah, I don't think that Metallica's biggest problem was ripping off. 90% of bands started ripping off other bands, at least a couple of riffs or ideas, and like other users said, at least they aknowdelged their influences and recorded a few covers. To me the main problem of Metallica is that even in their best era they were nothing but a mediocre band that got lucky. There were always much better bands around them.
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

Right, most bands borrow ideas from other bands. Only thing is they will only cite bigger/successful bands as their influences or just mention those bands that are in a different league (to avoid direct competition?). Say, a Thrash band will usually tell people they draw influences from some old punk or NWOBHM bands and will never mention any Speed/Thrash band of his peer group.
Tim Batkin

Post by Tim Batkin »

Hi Guys,

Seems there is a lone voice supporting Cynic (UK) at a couple of UK sites - if you feel like giving whomever it is support and us a nod the links are -

Bloodstock is probably a waste of time however, (looking at their artists etc and we have spoken to them before) but the Hard Rock one does at least mention a NWoBHM stage.......who knows?

http://www.bloodstock.uk.com/community/ ... 24&t=22541

and

http://www.hardrockhell.com/community/v ... f=5&t=3182

Keep rockin

Tim