Tales Of Medusa

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
roihlem

Tales Of Medusa

Post by roihlem »

Anyone listened to them?
Quite a new band from Canada, which released a few demos in ultrasmall editions...their biggest edition being 25 copies.
Now a new 7" called "Legions Of Medusa" is out, which is again superb! To me the band is superior to most nowadays Heavy Metal bands. They sound quite original combining crushing headbanging riffs with slow melancholic and mystic sounding parts. That 7" is again radically limited, this time to just 100 copies!
So if you are interested, hurry up!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Sounds interesting. Any soundbites out there to check out?
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Unfortunately not. Ask the band, maybe they have some...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I recently heard the 7''. Weird production, the guitar sound brought to my mind a mixture of Bathory's "Hammerheart" and classic Us metal. The two songs' structure is similar somehow, half slow-tempo, half speedy metal. Cool leads, but both weak in the choruses and the basic riffing. Not dissapointed but not excited either. 100 copies are very few indeed, why did they press it at these quantities? Makes you suspicious...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

The band seems to want to keep a very low profile, and secrecy.

That reminds me that I have yet to hear their 7". The demo pleased me quite a lot.
Gott ist tot.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

I liked the 7"! Perhaps I can agree that the choruses aren't the strongest ever but there's a easy-listening feeling that I appreciate for this time at least. I was very positively surprised that the band sent the EP for free! Including patch and a pin. Now that's a cool attitude.
Fun records
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Yeah, I also got it for free, so I do want to help the band spread their name. Why only 100? I guess, it is because of the lack of interest in Heavy Metal these days. The band told me they had problems their demo, which was limited to 10 copies and which they gave for free as well.
Well, I still think that the opener of the demo is the best TOM track, but these new ones are also better than most of todays HM imo. It does not have the fat productions that I annoy so much. They also do not use the cliche twin guitars, etc. It reminds me somehow of a mix of pure US Metal and the melancholy of old Norwegian Black Metal. The only a bit negative thing is maybe, as Ion Britton already said, that both songs have a similiar song structure...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

roihlem wrote:It reminds me somehow of a mix of pure US Metal and the melancholy of old Norwegian Black Metal.
Hmm, when i first heard 'em Darkthrone came to my mind, but i thought that that would be an extreme comparison so i avoided mentioning them. Yes, the sound of the guitar is cold and quite Bathoric somehow and i'm glad you made that comment because sometimes you hear such strange/politically-incorrect things and you start to wonder if everything's ok in your head.

I still don't understand what purpose do the 100 copies of the 7'' or the 10(!) copies of the demo serve. I have some evil thoughts about that, but i'd better not share them. Just remember these lines in 10 years in case you see the 7'' hitting a three-figure price number and dozens of copies seeing the light of day all of a sudden.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

I'd finally let my ears into it. The track on side II is so-so, but the first track is really great, with a good epic feeling. The comparison with old norwegian Black-Metal isn't the worst that comes to mind. In fact, some Black-Metal musicians went to play Heavy-metal, so it's maybe their case.
This move is a kind of trend or move nowadays. But well, if some are sincere and really like Heavy-Metal, and even draw influences from HM in their music, they aren't half as great when they play pure HM. It often sounds too simplistic/cliché to be good.
Gott ist tot.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

the guy I emailed in the band (he never did tell me his name) told me they would have made less copies of the 7" if they could find someone to press less! I guess they just do it to please themselves and no one else.
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

doomedplanet wrote:the guy I emailed in the band (he never did tell me his name) told me they would have made less copies of the 7" if they could find someone to press less! I guess they just do it to please themselves and no one else.
:shock: you got a lot more words from him than i did then!

i got no reply to my email but i did get a 7" w/pin & patch (all odd numbered eps come with embroidered patch!) i really dig this EP, I agree both songs are of similar format/structure but I think they're great - it was the only EP i had in my office at work the other night so i had no option than to play it for a few hours solid, the riffs really sink into your brain, the chorus' don't but personally i don't care for remembering song names/lyrics anyway, such tasks are a waste of brain cells and i have too few too spare :P for me metal is dependant on hooks hooks and more hooks...

....have to clarify that I do remember some lyrics - just like the next metalhead all worthy metal anthems are of course seared into my brain (iron maiden, wasp, accept, dio, sabbath, running wild...etc)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

doomedplanet wrote:the guy I emailed in the band (he never did tell me his name) told me they would have made less copies of the 7" if they could find someone to press less! I guess they just do it to please themselves and no one else.
They should had destroyed the rest 96 copies of the 7'' then. Why didn't they do it? Since they did it only for themselves and didn't want anyone else (or at least as few as possible) to hear their music, they should have done it no matter what. It seems like they have done some kind of ''favour'' to the rest of the world by releasing a bunch of copies they didn't want to. And i personally don't NEED this 7''... I'm not commenting you doomedplanet, it's just that some people act very strangely sometimes (according to me of course). Anyway...

doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I think I got more words out of him because I live in Oregon and am not too far away from Vancouver Canada in relative terms (only 300+ miles).

Truer words have never been spoken. I have been collecting and enjoying records and books for 20+ years and I've met some strange and unusual people over this time. All I can say is: GOOD FOR THEM! If that is what they want, GREAT, let 'em do it. It is their money after all, haha, so enjoy life and appreciate that everyone has different eclecticisms and picadillos.
ION BRITTON wrote: it's just that some people act very strangely sometimes (according to me of course). Anyway...
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Maybe keeping low profile is just their way of living. We know about the music, not who they are, how cool (or not) they are, how they play in other more well-known bands, etc. to avoid eBay mania, some labels have a one copy per customer policy, etc. It doesn't help a lot to limit speculation, IMO. But at least they try.
Gott ist tot.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Just wanted to add that TALES OF MEDUSA released a new demo called "Into The Undergloom", pro pressed and limited to 50 copies. Again a very good and original recording! Listen to "In The Beams Of Light" and worship! I really love that bands like this keep supporting the old tape format! What do you think of this demo?
There is also a shirt out there with the great logo.
Also soon "Triumphant Serenade" will be released on vinyl LP, which will be limited to 100 copies, so mail the band if you want to reserve a copy!