Headbangers Open Air 23-25 July, 2009

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
nabel

Post by nabel »

THE RODS! Easily top gigs of the weekend. Carl Canedy is the drummer. Angelwitch was scheisse, where was the power in everything, especially in vocals?

And one thing, they should have bigger area in front of the stage, too much people in there this year. And two place to buy drinks like last year.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Herr Nabel amigo mio, 1 beer in each sock, underneath your pants. 2 in your jocks. Walk in with one almost empty in your hand and have that taken away. Sneak in with 4 beers. That's what Chief Bullcock aka Rambo did last year.

I hope the Rods play at a festival next year.
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Yeap Carl Cennedy destroyed his drum kit! What a beast! Exxplorer were awesome as well! Tysondog and Tank were rulers! Doogie White put on a lil' more of a "Saxon" feelin' to Tank!

All of the bands i wanted to see kicked ass! Beer in hand ,rain ,mud and a shitload of headbangin'! THAT'S WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF!
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Am I the only one who think CLOVEN HOOF were great?
All in all, a really nice festival...present for the upcoming edition for sure !
Bane

Post by Bane »

No, Cloven Hoof were killer as ever! I have seen their setlist being better on several occasions before, but I guess given the short time slot they did great!!

I was really happy with HOA this year for the most part. Perhaps a few too many people, and I really dislike the way there's virtually NO lighting in most of the festival area after dark (makes life even harder when you're drunk), but most of the bands I seen slayed and the fun in the beer tent and on the campsite with the Aussies, Finns and Swedes... well, it's enough reason to go back again and again.
Holy Mighty Stormwitch

Post by Holy Mighty Stormwitch »

My highlights were Angel Witch, Killers, Helstar and Enforcer. It was a great festival - if you´re talking about music and all the ppl I met there.

To be honest I was really disappointed about the organization of the event. Too many people, too many wannabe-metalheads who went to Wacken afterwards, no light at the campgrounds, not enough dixies etc. I think the festival is going to lose many real underground maniacs if they don´t change.
Nocturnal Graves

Post by Nocturnal Graves »

Bane wrote:I was really happy with HOA this year for the most part. Perhaps a few too many people, and I really dislike the way there's virtually NO lighting in most of the festival area after dark (makes life even harder when you're drunk), but most of the bands I seen slayed and the fun in the beer tent and on the campsite with the Aussies, Finns and Swedes... well, it's enough reason to go back again and again.
The Aussie, was it Lee and Josh? I heard Lee got bashed haha.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i saw a video of Angel Witch on youtube, and hell it sounds way "different" the vibe is totally lost....sucks big time :(
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I'm having fantasies about the Jever, Dithmarscher and Flensburger already. One unholy trinity. Bring on 2010.
nabel

Post by nabel »

Nocturnal Graves wrote: The Aussie, was it Lee and Josh? I heard Lee got bashed haha.
Yeah, he had nice Blasphemy styled paint around his eyes at saturday morning. :P

And as HM Stormwitch said, there was too much people compared to services. And those "wacken caravaners"... There were loads of people in our camping site who just drinked there and never went to see the bands. Some of our neighbours even left at saturday morning. Or then they just did not like our "humour".
Anyway, I think i'llbe back next summer. Depends on the holidays I have...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Speaking of finnish humor, someone heard a finn at the campsite say:

"Don't touch me, I'm nazist!"

:lol:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:i saw a video of Angel Witch on youtube, and hell it sounds way "different" the vibe is totally lost....sucks big time :(
I'm feeling more & more alone in thinking they were great. Seems a lot of people are slagging them. I haven't seen that vid but being there I thought the best part was the fact that it actually sounded a lot like the old recordings. Maybe I was just in the right mood...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

DaN wrote:
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:i saw a video of Angel Witch on youtube, and hell it sounds way "different" the vibe is totally lost....sucks big time :(
I'm feeling more & more alone in thinking they were great. Seems a lot of people are slagging them. I haven't seen that vid but being there I thought the best part was the fact that it actually sounded a lot like the old recordings. Maybe I was just in the right mood...
same thing happened to me when i saw Grim Reaper at KIT 6, being there was great, later on i saw the videos, and oh shit wtf!... :(
Bane

Post by Bane »

Nocturnal Graves wrote:The Aussie, was it Lee and Josh? I heard Lee got bashed haha.
Hahaha, yeah mate. Aussie Josh, Leigh, Moonie, Inga, Laura and Dario were there. Leigh had some kvlt black eyes on the second day after taking off his belt and whipping some sleeping Mexican guy at the beer tent. Bad idea. The Mexican woke up and bashed him in. Haha.

I agree with Andrea and Nabel - too many Wacken shitheads there. I think there must have been an extra 300-400 people there as opposed to last year, but no increase in stage area or services. Total bullshit. I will go back next year regardless (bands & seeing my Euro friends), but the organisers really need to step up and sort some common issues out.
Bane

Post by Bane »

DaN wrote:I'm feeling more & more alone in thinking they were great. Seems a lot of people are slagging them. I haven't seen that vid but being there I thought the best part was the fact that it actually sounded a lot like the old recordings. Maybe I was just in the right mood...
Well ok Dan, they did play a lot of the cool old stuff, but I just thought they were so limp-wristed. No real energy and I found myself yawning through the few songs I stayed for. A total dissapointment for me.