The best releases of 2008

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I bought today HAIL OF BULLETS album "Of Frost and War". This band contains GOREFEST, ASPHYX & PESTILENCE members. Excellent old-school death-metal, it sometimes reminds me of early-MORGOTH.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

omen of hate wrote:I bought today HAIL OF BULLETS album "Of Frost and War". This band contains GOREFEST, ASPHYX & PESTILENCE members. Excellent old-school death-metal, it sometimes reminds me of early-MORGOTH.
Have to check this out also. Seems to be excellent
Long Live The Loud !!!
playonten

Post by playonten »

So far for me it's probably the Jex Thoth album I'm surprised to say. I didn't like it at all at first, but I'm starting to appreciate it. I loved Portrait's demo, but something about the album isn't clicking with me... none of the songs stay in my head.
If reissues counted then it would say Isen Torr hands down, but they don't, so I won't.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

playonten wrote:So far for me it's probably the Jex Thoth album I'm surprised to say.
You're nuts. Try listening to the new TGoS album for example.
playonten

Post by playonten »

You're nuts. Try listening to the new TGoS album for example.
It just came in the mail yesterday - give me a damn minute! Regardless, the Jex Thoth album rules. People can accuse them of hipster retro blah blah til the cows come home, but it won't make a difference - it's good. It won't be the album of the year by any stretch, probably won't even land on the top 10, but it's a strong record. I'm pretty sure that and Portrait are the only albums I've even heard from 2008 anyway.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Received Lonewolf - Made In Hell... pretty solid stuff, good fun! and Manilla Road - Voyager, doesnt disappoint either
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Nicko McBuff wrote:Received Lonewolf - Made In Hell... pretty solid stuff
How does that compare to their last full release?
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
playonten

Post by playonten »

Just listened to the first couple tracks on this Gates Of Slumber album... crushing indeed!
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Nightlock wrote:
Nicko McBuff wrote:Received Lonewolf - Made In Hell... pretty solid stuff
How does that compare to their last full release?
I'm not sure James as this is the first album of theirs I've heard. I stumbled across their myspace page, heard a song dug it and brought the album.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

So far i've heard these:

Enchanter- defenders of the realm. Not really a new album since it's an anthology/collection. Surprisingly good though.

Energy Vampires- another reissue, but also quite good.

Hellhammer- more good reissue stuff.

Isole- bliss of solitude. Nice oldschool doom. An improvement from their sophmore effort.

Stormwarrior- more awesome 'Walls of Jericho' worship; i do wish they'd expand the lyrical topics though... how many different songs can you write about Thor and Odin?

the Sword- gods of the earth. ok but not as instantly likeable as 'Age of Winters'.

Jex Thoth is ordered (love the songs I've heard), Gates of Slumber is back-ordered (songs I've heard are decent), and i can't quite get into Portrait... they're not bad but I find the songs kind of forgettable, and Mercyful fate wannabes rarely impress me. That's just my wacky opinion.

Will eventually check out the new Royal Hunt, and hoping the new Riot is out by year's end.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
AxeCrazy

Post by AxeCrazy »

I'll second the recommendation for the new Gates of Slumber. It's killer.

Another album which has surprised me is "Rebirth" by Rychus Syn. Maybe not album of the year material, but still really good.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I really dig the shit out of the latest Morbosidad LP, it's fucking great!!!! Also Hour Of 13 is absolutely killer. Same can be said about the Portrait LP.
Long Live The Loud !!!
msp

Post by msp »

I finally got around to getting the "new" GRAND MAGUS yesterday. I like it a lot. One of the best new releases this year I think.

I also got the new COFFINS Lp but not heaard it yet
Helm

Post by Helm »

When there's a new Esoteric album out in a given year, then that is the album of the year, for me.
msp

Post by msp »

Helm wrote:When there's a new Esoteric album out in a given year, then that is the album of the year, for me.
Yes, they are certainly a unique band. One of the best "unsung" bands here in the Uk. I played some of my non-metal friends some of their tracks the other week and their reaction was just "WOW"