The best releases of 2008

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Ironsword - Overlords of chaos: got this from Shadow Kingdom a couple of days ago. Have listened to it repeatedly and Tim is right; it's one of the very best releases this year.

Lamp of Thoth - Omens, portents and dooms: A perfect record. A revelation. If they never do anything again, I'll still count them amongst the greats of metal.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Witchfinder General - Resurrected 8)

I expect Ironsword and The Lamp of Thoth will be contenders too, but I've yet to hear those.
daniel

Post by daniel »

What is the point of calling it, anything, 'album of the year'? It's only what YOU have heard that you are rating, no one's heard all albums released this year, and even though it enters the realm of the absurd demanding such a thing it also illutrates how bloody pointless it is calling anything album of the year.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
great_knuthulhu

daniel wrote:What is the point of calling it, anything, 'album of the year'? It's only what YOU have heard that you are rating, no one's heard all albums released this year, and even though it enters the realm of the absurd demanding such a thing it also illutrates how bloody pointless it is calling anything album of the year.
But Daniel, everyone here knows that everyone else is saying just that: "these are the best albums I've heard this year". It is understood, by everybody I thought before you wrote this, that the point here is to recommend albums to those who haven't heard them yet or to discuss in short the relative merits of some select albums.

Daniel, you really are a miserable whiner.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

daniel wrote:What is the point of calling it, anything, 'album of the year'? It's only what YOU have heard that you are rating, no one's heard all albums released this year, and even though it enters the realm of the absurd demanding such a thing it also illutrates how bloody pointless it is calling anything album of the year.
All the best albums on the planet have a distinct smell. And if you climb upon a high hill or mountain on a cold morning during the winter solstice, which takes place near the end of every year(on the northern hemisphere), one can actually smell all these albums from all over the earth and pass judgement on them.
GJ

Post by GJ »

:D

I didn't know that.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Black Axe your explanation is reasonable ;)

Knut, it may have been a bit out of place since it was a comment about 'album of the year' threads etc. in general, but tell me how, as has happened at times, 'everyone' posting the same favourite albums is worth shit?
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
great_knuthulhu

daniel wrote:Black Axe your explanation is reasonable ;)

Knut, it may have been a bit out of place since it was a comment about 'album of the year' threads etc. in general, but tell me how, as has happened at times, 'everyone' posting the same favourite albums is worth shit?
Well, I'll admit you've got me there. Probably should be more actual discussion of WHY those albums are any good and why others should not be considered among the year's best. I think you were out of place in this thread, but the discussion you're on to now does have merit. Sorry if I came across a bit heavy on you.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I haven`t listen to an album from this year so far, but I am sure that the Sister Sin album will kill....
Obsessed by Metal

Post by Obsessed by Metal »

I'd vote for Portrait as well, just because it spins all the time in my disc eater so there must be a reason

I liked the new The Gates of Slumber, it is shit heavy as usual but it is drawing out and a tad repetitive, I prefer them on stage to be honest

The new Cacodaemon is really cool too, I received the promo a while ago, it said it should be out by august but I don't know if it's out or not yet. I recommend it to those who like their metal old-school and gritty, somewhere along the line of the Swedish Guillotine but more rotten
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

NOMAD SON - First Light is quite good.Really enjoyed this debut.
El Loco Diablo

Post by El Loco Diablo »

I've never heard of this Portrait band. Anyone care to give me a link so I can give it a listen?

My favorites this year include Pharaoh, Abysmal Dawn, Zimmers Hole, Nachtmystium, Nifelheim, Equilibrium and Enslaved.

The worst I've heard was the new Judas Priest. Worse than Turbo? Yes, indeed I think so.
great_knuthulhu

El Loco Diablo wrote:I've never heard of this Portrait band. Anyone care to give me a link so I can give it a listen?

My favorites this year include Pharaoh, Abysmal Dawn, Zimmers Hole, Nachtmystium, Nifelheim, Equilibrium and Enslaved.

The worst I've heard was the new Judas Priest. Worse than Turbo? Yes, indeed I think so.
You've really been missing out. Portrait are great, so here is their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/portraitmetal

And FWIW I agree on the new Judas Priest. Where's Mordred BTW? :wink:
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
El Loco Diablo wrote:I've never heard of this Portrait band. Anyone care to give me a link so I can give it a listen?

You've really been missing out. Portrait are great, so here is their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/portraitmetal

And FWIW I agree on the new Judas Priest. Where's Mordred BTW? :wink:
PORTRAIT's guitarist is registered here.. awesome band!

looking back the last few months, for me I think GRAND MAGUS - Iron Will comes near though.. (Sweden rules or what?!)

about Nostradamus, I definitely was hoping for more than it was able to achieve.. can't say it's BAD or anyway near Turbo :evil: - but it is so fucking monstrous and (over- ?) ambitious I still can't really get into, no matter how often I listen to it (and I tried hard to like it.. )
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

LICH KING - Toxic Zombie Onslaught