Cloven Hoof ripped on Friday night

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
msp

Cloven Hoof ripped on Friday night

Post by msp »

Cloven Hoof played a small warm up show for the British Steel festival at Bar Monsta in Camden on Friday night. This was a really small venue so it made for quite an intimate atmosphere.

There were two other bands on the bill. First up was Dark Forest. They took to the very small stage clad in Spandex in front of about 10 people (including roadies) and proceeded to play a short set of Heavy/power metal. They had a few good riffs but the sound was a little muddy.

Next up was another UK called Desolation. They were a melodic/atmospheric black metal band which I thought may be a little out of place on the bill. However, they turned out to be quite enjoyable.

When Cloven Hoof hit the stage the place was fairly well packed out. As they hit the stage they kicked off with "Inquisitor" from their new album "The Definitive: Part One" and proceeded to tear the place down in my opinion. Probably 90% of the songs were from this new album and they came over well in the live environment, helped by a good clear sound. One of the highlights of the gig was when they played "Notre Dame" from the Sultans Ransom LP - the first time live in 20 yearsn which resulted in a mass of banging heads and pumping fists. Later in the concert some maniac in POKOLGEP shirt invaded the stage and head banged with the band.

Got to chat to Lee Payne for a bit and it seems like the back catalogue is going to be re-released. Bought a great looking t-shirt, drank shit-loads of beer and woke up on Saturday with a hangover the size of Jupiter;s red spot.

Excellent evening
Fucking Åmål

Re: Cloven Hoof ripped on Friday night

Post by Fucking Åmål »

msp wrote:
Probably 90% of the songs were from this new album and they came over well
Too bad such a band forgets its past.Count me off when they come if they play 90% :evil: new tracks.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

Cloven Hoof is one of my favourite bands, and I'm really excited by the thought that they will come and play in Greece...on the other hand, I prefer their old era, and I'm sending a mesage through this board, come on and honor your past, be fair enough at least and play 50% from your old stuff.. :!:
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
msp

Post by msp »

Bear in mind they only played for about one hour though plus one encore so the amount of material played was not like twelve new songs and two old ones.

I'm sure they realise that people want to hear the old stuff but at the same time if they think their new material stands up well are they not supposed to play it?
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

ofcurse, that's why I put 50%...
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I'm such a fan of the new material that even if their show is based 100% on the old albums i wouldn't really bother...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

ION BRITTON wrote:I'm such a fan of the new material that even if their show is based 100% on the old albums i wouldn't really bother...
True come on Mr.Msp you can't deny this.The new stuff by CLOVEN HOOF is crap.The name this band carries is due to the four 80's albums this band released.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i dont have any clue of how Cloven Hoof is sounding nowadays...but in my opinion it would be dissapoiting if their set is full of new songs knowing that one of my top 5 nwobhm albums is the Cloven Hoof LP....
msp

Post by msp »

Okay, I confess they were fucking gay crap.

I lied to you all.

I am obviously not allowed to enjoy the gig because they played new material that I think is quite good.

Fuck this fucking thread. Please close it down
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Great to hear they played mostly old stuff. The new album rocks.
I hope to catch a gig of theirs this year.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Are Cloven Hoof doing any dates in Germany in the coming months, I'd love to see them! ?
Bane

Post by Bane »

I think there might be some confusion here... I was at that gig too and yes they did play 90% of the material from their new album, but their new album is a "Best of" compilation with re-recorded classics!! This is the full setlist they played:

Inquisitor
Nova Battlestar
Gates of Gehenna
King For A Day
Astral Rider
Highlander (crowd singalong)
Mistress Of The Forest
Jekyll And Hyde
Mutilator
Notre Dame (their first time playing it in over 20 years!!)
Forgotten Heroes (crowd singalong)
Road Of Eagles
Kiss Of Evil

Encore: Laying Down The law

They blew the roof off the place. Killer gig. The Saturday evening British Steel gig was just as much fun. MSP - are you even familiar with Cloven Hoofs material?! If you recognise 90% of that setlist as "new songs" then I would guess the answer to that question is NO!

- Barry
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Bane wrote:I think there might be some confusion here... I was at that gig too and yes they did play 90% of the material from their new album, but their new album is a "Best of" compilation with re-recorded classics!!
Was I the only one who got that? :lol:
Bane

Post by Bane »

Yes, it looks that way!!
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

:D entertaining