KIT X: The review + pictures

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
tomas

KIT X: The review + pictures

Post by tomas »

Just got back home from KIT. Man, I had such a great time. And I probably wasn't the only one here. I finally met some Corroseum metal nerds. Cheers to Dan, Humus, Levi, Ion Britton, Sentinel, ... and all the others.
Extra cheers and ultra respect to NicoMcBuff for coming all the way from Australia to party in Germany. RESPECT!

I saw some great bands. Omen, Manilla Road, Fueled By Fire, Merciless Death and Jag Panzer SLAYED! Best song of the entire festival: Warfare!
Boring shows: Cage, Doomsword

This was probably the best festival I've ever been too. Great vibes and drunken yet friendly mayhem :)

I know I put the word 'pictures' in the title of this thread but they're all on Andreas' camera. So they will be posted later on.
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Can anyone tell how did Sentinel Beast perform?Does Debbie Gunn still got the edge?
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
tomas

Post by tomas »

Sentinel Beast was good as well. Debbie still has a powerful voice!

Metal finds at KIT:
Sadomator - 2nd LP
Retrosatan LP
Have Mercy demos 2LP
Hour Of 13 LP
humus

Post by humus »

Third time I went to KIT and what to say...probably the best festival around. Great atmosphere, great music, great laughs. Cheers to all the people from the forum I saw there. Guess some nice pictures will show up in the next couple of days.
Maybe I'll write a longer review later, but till then i will just limit myself to saying that Fueled by fire was for me the band of the festival.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Please tell me how my ex band played! :shock: StrikeMaster...what about Titan Force and Pharao???...so which of the three new thrash acts was better, Merciless Death, FBF or Strike....?
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

Had a great time. I had not been overseas since 1997. The atmosphere of the festival was great, lots of comraderie among the fans, decent food, great shopping, etc. No drugs or violence that I saw either, which makes it completely different from typical USA fests...

My favorite band was Omen. I think someone handed Kenny Powell an out of tune guitar for the first song ("The Curse") and he was visibly pissed off, but once that was sorted out, the whole band was on FIRE for the rest of their set. I definitely preferred the fill-in guy over Kevin Goocher.

Also enjoyed Metal Inquisitor and Manilla Road sets.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Cheers to all of you who showed up at the camp, even though I forgot to put my picture up. Sorry 'bout that.
tomas

Post by tomas »

@MEXDefender:
Fueled By Fire was definitely the best of those new thrash bands.
Merciless Death is a good band as well but they suffered from bad sound.
Strikemaster was a bit too monotonous for me, and they also suffered from bad sound.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

It was bloody great, cheers to all who were there. Best bands for me were Manilla Road, Jag Panzer, Helstar, etc. I come back here when I have more time
Long Live The Loud !!!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

How was the OMEN show ?
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

omen of hate wrote:How was the OMEN show ?
Omen were really great. Had some bad luck at the start, but they performed brilliantly. 6 out of 6 points from me, but Dan still rated it higher than I did!
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I had a great time... I met so many wonderful nice people and hope to keep in contact with them all, great memories, beer drinking, and the bands yes... there wasnt a bad performance! all good to great. I really enjoyed hearing the whole Battle at Helms Deep album live so for me Attacker was the favourite one. Then Jag Panzer, Manilla Road, Omen and Metal Inquisitor. I sit here in Würzburg (Ive changed by route a bit) now trying to get some kind of internet blog happening for the folks back home after a week of no contact before I head to Nuremberg, collecting my memories, I´m also grinning at some of the drunken photos I have in my possesion of people! Thankyou
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

tomas wrote:@MEXDefender:
Fueled By Fire was definitely the best of those new thrash bands.
Merciless Death is a good band as well but they suffered from bad sound.
Strikemaster was a bit too monotonous for me, and they also suffered from bad sound.
ok i can get the picture now.....so far Omen and Manilla Road seems to be the highlights, what about Attacker and Helstar????
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Finally back at home since a few hours. As usual an awesome festival on all accounts!

The bands:

OMEN were probably my main reason for coming this year and they lived up to and even surpassed all my expectations. Stand-in WhatsHisName couldn't have done a better job - great stage personality, great vocals - and the setlist was flawless! The fact that they finished with "Die By The Blade" alone made the festival for me. That was the first OMEN track I ever heard, on some shitty tape 23-24 years ago and it has always been a very special song for me. An extra plus for Kenny Powell's insane, speedfreak-look too. Misery = Metal :twisted:

JAG PANZER were #2 on the awesomeness-list. A perfect band to end the festival. Opening with "Generally Hostile" was a stroke of genious. It's only these last few years that I've gotten into JP for real so I really need to fill up the holes in their discography asap. Not many bands could get away with ending a show with covers of such classics as "Gypsy", "Where Eagles Dare" and "Electric Eye". It's also rare to see 2 old singers on the same stage, both making awesome performances and not being at eachother's throats half the time :lol:

SENTINEL BEAST did an awesome show as well. Debbie had probably gained a pound or 10 since the 80's but the voice was perfectly intact and she got the crowd going. We had some speculations about her being a high-school teacher nowdays and the rest of the band being her students but we really don't know. (It sounded funny at the time we thought it up)

More bandcomments soon..

Many HAILS to all the great people there: Sentinel, Nicko, Ion (too bad we didn't find time for more Cardiacs-talk;), the childfu.. I mean nice, non-molesting citizens of Belgium- Levi, Andreas, Humus and Tomas, Khnud, the other Knut, Sovdat, msp, Pedro Anthares (really dug Forca Macabra!), Manuel, LindellInHell and the rest of Portrait - the CD blew me away!
..and probably more.

Comments on the KIT XII line-up in the other thread soon, and the record-loot in the apropriate thread..
tomas

Post by tomas »

@McBuff
You know what you have to do .... Upload those drunken pictures! :)

Some more reviewing:
Great metal market! Some dealers/sellers had reasonable prices and there were lots of cool records.
Although we stayed in a hotel, the camping site looked great. Too bad it rained and most people had their speed metal afterparties in a car. For those of you who spent the nights there, I hope it wasn't too cold and your nuts didn't freeze off. When we left it got really muddy. Thanks to the anonymous people who helped to push our car out of the mud! Hope you didn't get to dirty. The inside of my friend's car was covered with mud when we arrived at our hotel. We wanted to take pictures but we ran out of batteries.
The food: The only thing I bought inside the venue was fries, and I have to say that Germans don't know how to make them. But it's probably because I'm spoiled (Belgian fries are number one!).

And I wish I had some pictures of Dan's insane balcony headbanging during the first songs of Jag Panzer :lol: