80's Heavy Metal Heroes new releases

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
omen of hate

80's Heavy Metal Heroes new releases

Post by omen of hate »

What do you think of this year releases from 80'S H-M legends ?

With albums such as :

RIOT - Army of one
HALLOWEEN - Horror Fire
ATTACKER - The Unknown
CLOVEN HOOF - Eyes of the Sun
VIRGIN STEELE - Visions of Eden
VICIOUS RUMORS - Warball

mordred

Re: 80's Heavy Metal Heroes new releases

Post by mordred »

omen of hate wrote:What do you think of this year releases from 80'S H-M legends ?

With albums such as :

RIOT - Army of one
HALLOWEEN - Horror Fire
ATTACKER - The Unknown
CLOVEN HOOF - Eyes of the Sun
VIRGIN STEELE - Visions of Eden
VICIOUS RUMORS - Warball

CLOVEN HOOF and VIRGIN STEELE's new releases are disastrous. HALLOWEEN has some great tracks on Horror Fire, such as "The Crush", "Wake up Screaming", "Nobody's Home" etcetera, but it's not a top release as a whole. I haven't heard the others.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'm as clueless as ever. I think I've been let down too many times. When I've run out of yet-to-hear unknown 80's releaes I guess I'll try and catch up on the new/reunion releases of the classic bands.

Come to think of it I did hear the new ATTACKER CD at a friend's place. Good one if I recall correctly, but not earthshattering enough for me to remember any details.
mordred

Post by mordred »

DaN wrote:I'm as clueless as ever. I think I've been let down too many times. When I've run out of yet-to-hear unknown 80's releaes I guess I'll try and catch up on the new/reunion releases of the classic bands.

Come to think of it I did hear the new ATTACKER CD at a friend's place. Good one if I recall correctly, but not earthshattering enough for me to remember any details.
You should put the reunited Manilla Road on top of your list. Really, Atlantis Rising and especially Gates of Fire are as worthy of the Manilla Road name as any previous MR album. Mindblowing, earthshattering stuff.

In fact, Gates of Fire is the third best album Manilla Road ever did in my opinion.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Most of these releases are very disappointing.

The worst are RIOT, VIRGIN STEELE and CLOVEN HOOF.
RIOT and VIRGIN STEELE albums are disasters. It's a shame that such bands don't respect their (brilliant) past with such pitiful releases.

CLOVEN HOOF "Eye of the Sun" is a real deception, too. My expectations about it were so high !! They've modernized their metal and they sound like a lame version of bands such as ANNIHILATOR, NEVERMORE, ...

The HALLOWEEN LP is quite average with a few good songs.

The only good ones are ATTACKER and VICIOUS RUMORS.
I really enjoy the ATTACKER one, the production is raw, they play their speed metal in a very aggressive way. Very enjoyable.

VICIOUS RUMORS ( with James Rivera on vocals, hey, hey !!) is the better one.

Another deception is METAL CHURCH's "A Light in the Dark", boring, boring, boring !! The band has nothing more to offer. They have re-recorded "Watch the Children Pray" (an hommage to David Wayne), the new version is so weak !!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Another great deception : new SARACEN album "Vox in Excelso".
It's prog-pop rock, AOR now. :cry:

Gimme my "Heroes, Saints & Fools" back !!
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

omen of hate wrote:Another great deception : new SARACEN album "Vox in Excelso".
It's prog-pop rock, AOR now. :cry:

Gimme my "Heroes, Saints & Fools" back !!
What are you talkin about ???
"Heroes, Saints & Fools" was Melodic Hard Rock and "Vox in Excelso" is too ! Just with a much better production and this Concept-Album-Thing !
Both Albums are absolutely fantastic !!!

I also like quite much the new CLOVEN HOOF, it's not the same anymore, but i find it very interesting !
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

tbieri wrote: What are you talkin about ???
"Heroes, Saints & Fools" was Melodic Hard Rock and "Vox in Excelso" is too ! Just with a much better production and this Concept-Album-Thing !
Both Albums are absolutely fantastic !!!

I also like quite much the new CLOVEN HOOF, it's not the same anymore, but i find it very interesting !
"Heroes, Saints & Fools" was an excellent, inspired, melodic HM album. The song writing was brilliant, the musicians were at their best.

"Vox in Excelso" is an uninspired, pompous, empty album.

CLOVEN HOOF had nothing to gain by modernizing his music. They just try to jump in the US metal wagon, copying band such as ICED EARTH, NEVERMORE, ...
If it was their purpose, it would have been better to change the band's name or to start a new project.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

omen of hate wrote:
CLOVEN HOOF had nothing to gain by modernizing his music. They just try to jump in the US metal wagon, copying band such as ICED EARTH, NEVERMORE, ...
If it was their purpose, it would have been better to change the band's name or to start a new project.
I fully agree. Personally, i expected something more than an ''interesting'' album from the band that released eternal metal masterpieces like ''Dominator'' and ''A sultan's ransom''. If you want to experiment on new music styles, it's ok with me since you do it under a different name. Using the name Cloven Hoof to release this atrocity it's indeed a shame. They ruined their whole fuckin' legend. I'm sorry but you must be really demanding with your favorite bands.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

ION BRITTON wrote:
omen of hate wrote:
I fully agree. Personally, i expected something more than an ''interesting'' album from the band that released eternal metal masterpieces like ''Dominator'' and ''A sultan's ransom''. If you want to experiment on new music styles, it's ok with me since you do it under a different name. Using the name Cloven Hoof to release this atrocity it's indeed a shame. They ruined their whole fuckin' legend. I'm sorry but you must be really demanding with your favorite bands.
I do partially agree whit what you said, but what is wrong with ICED EARTH and NEVERMORE ? Aren't they good ???
''Dominator'' and ''A sultan's ransom' are good albums, but "eternal metal masterpieces" ??? Come on !!!

This reminds me bit at the hype around GAMA Records Bands. I don't know how it feels to discover them today, but in the eighties they where already completetly dated and quite boring ! There are some good ones (RESTLESS, GRAVESTONE, NOISEHUNTER, STORMWITCH) many average ones, but not 1 really outstanding Album !!!
Can this be cult ???
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

tbieri wrote: I do partially agree whit what you said, but what is wrong with ICED EARTH and NEVERMORE ? Aren't they good ???
''Dominator'' and ''A sultan's ransom' are good albums, but "eternal metal masterpieces" ??? Come on !!!

This reminds me bit at the hype around GAMA Records Bands. I don't know how it feels to discover them today, but in the eighties they where already completetly dated and quite boring ! There are some good ones (RESTLESS, GRAVESTONE, NOISEHUNTER, STORMWITCH) many average ones, but not 1 really outstanding Album !!!
Can this be cult ???
I've nothing against ICED EARTH or NEVERMORE. They're both good bands.
I'm just disgusted to see that CLOVEN HOOF (one of my all-times fave)has become a pale copy of such bands !!

I agree with ION BRITTON "Dominator' and "A Sultan's Ransom" are masterpieces !!!

There's a thread on this board concerning GAMA records, I think Fuckin' Amal will answer you soon about this !!! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

tbieri wrote: II do partially agree whit what you said, but what is wrong with ICED EARTH and NEVERMORE ? Aren't they good ???
''Dominator'' and ''A sultan's ransom'' are just good albums? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ICED EARTH and NEVERMORE were good very long time ago. Now they suck. And even the slightest comparison between these two and CLOVEN HOOF is a blasphemy.

Also, what the hell have to do most of the GAMA bands (which are indeed overrated) w/ CLOVEN HOOF?

It's really not a shame if you don't like CLOVEN HOOF. I really mean that. However, it is one calling them overrated.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

A sultan's Ransom IS an eternal masterpiece as said before. Everything on that album is perfect, just everything. Listen for example to the third track and especially to the underlying RIFFS, man what a genious.

The first 2 iced earth albums are great, the rest is lame, and the last albums are crap. Nevermore were never my favourites. I can't believe they once started with the great first Sanctuary album.

So, the new Cloven Hoof isn't worth getting, well I thought it would be crap, almost everything is crap nowadays.

I heard some tracks from the new Vicious Rumors and they did not sound bad, so I'll try that one.
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Sentinel wrote:I can't believe they once started with the great first Sanctuary album.
...which is, by the way, a US metal Colossus. Warrel Dane screamed like if he was possessed that time. Compare also ''Refuge Denied'' with the new NEVERMORE. Feels pretty awkward i guess, huh?
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

I'm liking the new manowar-sons of odin ep, I was quite suprised by it after the rather shitty warriors of the world.