New Darkthrone?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
tomas

New Darkthrone?

Post by tomas »

I listened to the new Darkthrone full album, 'FOAD'.
I think it's great. Total oldschool hardrock black metal, with lots of Venom, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, ... influences.
Some of the lyrics are cool as well:

'If you don't know what I mean
Fuckin' listen to Venom's Acid Queen!
I made my own code
I sold my soul to Manilla Road!'

I think it's cool that all those true nekkkro black metalers are dissing Darkthrone for not being 'true' and 'KVLT' anymore.

Any opinions?
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

darkthrone is as darkthrone does

all those who get so emotional about a band changing its sound or image or whatever need to fuck off and get a life - if what two drunks in a studio are doing will have so much bearing on their own day to day existence then they are obviously living a very empty life and should do themselves a favour & take the 7cent solution...FOAD
tomas

Post by tomas »

Yeah, you're right. The people who nag and complain about Darkthrone's change of style should fuck of and die :)

When I said 'I think it's cool that...' I meant that I thought is was funny that those losers are actually nagging about the whole thing. I completely understand that Darkthrone got tired of making the same stuff. I really like the new releases.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I've enjoyed it too, especially for the VENOM/HELLHAMMER/(early) CELTIC FROST influences, I prefer "FOAD" to the previous album "The Cult is Alive" which had more punkish influences.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Really? I'll give it a listen then. I only have "A Blaze..." on LP which is a great album, don't know the rest that much
Long Live The Loud !!!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

The Sentinel wrote:Really? I'll give it a listen then. I only have "A Blaze..." on LP which is a great album, don't know the rest that much
Yeah ''A Blaze In The Northern Sky'' is a classic for sure.I will try to listen also to their newer stuff it
seems so promising.Btw Sten does the LP of ''A Blaze..'' is so rare?How much did you paied for this?
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Fucking Åmål wrote:
The Sentinel wrote:Really? I'll give it a listen then. I only have "A Blaze..." on LP which is a great album, don't know the rest that much
Yeah ''A Blaze In The Northern Sky'' is a classic for sure.I will try to listen also to their newer stuff it
seems so promising.Btw Sten does the LP of ''A Blaze..'' is so rare?How much did you paied for this?
Unfortunately I don't know how much I paid for it, I think it will go for something like 10 - 30 euro's, it's not that rare, there's also a legal picture LP of this album
Long Live The Loud !!!
Pestkrieg

Post by Pestkrieg »

The new album is great - highly entertaining hard rocking blackish metal!
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

A Blaze In The Northern Sky is probably my fav Darkthrone album and I don't really expect that to change anytime soon or ever.
Black Metal should not be about having fun, drinking beer and listening to punk and heavy metal.

'If you don't know what I mean
Fuckin' listen to Venom's Acid Queen!
I made my own code
I sold my soul to Manilla Road!'

...and this is disgusting.
He is trying to ride the Good Ol' Heavy Metal train. Soon to be a major trend.
It is cool that Fenriz just recently discovered Manilla Road and Cirith Ungol but it is totally uncool that he is trying to convince us that Darkthrone were always about Heavy Metal, just as he tried to convince us when TCIA came out that Darkthrone were always a punk band.
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

Days Of The Locust. My blog o' movies.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Brainbiter wrote: Black Metal should not be about having fun, drinking beer and listening to punk and heavy metal
A really important issue. Seconded.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

I dunno, I have a LOT of fun getting hammered, headbanging, and yelling to VENOM & HELLHAMMER.

Mayhap I am not "teh kvlt".
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Maybe Black-Metal has become something more than simple Heavy-Metal...

Well, about DARKTHRONE, I don't know what to think about them! The music is still excellent in many ways (even if not immortal like their first albums). They still do what they want (or seem so). But these old-school statements by dozens are somewhat ridiculous.

And I'm sorry to tell you that the one who finds a copy of their early albums on LP for less than 50€ is a lucky man...
Gott ist tot.
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

I know it seems like Fenriz just started to love old heavy metal out of nowhere and is just now throwing out MANILLA ROAD and CIRITH UNGOL quotes (he told an interviewer that the interviewer HAD to listen to "I'm Alive") seemingly at random. However, I do recall one interview from like '98 or '99 ( ? ) where he noted he brought the BLACK SABBATH s/t album to the recording studio along with "The Return" to give the producer an example of the sound he wanted for one of the classic DARKTHRONE CDs.

BLACK SABBATH's s/t is some old-school classy taste.

I'm not the world's biggest DARKTHRONE fan so I may be wrong, but it seems like they are now just doing what they want. Maybe they always actually WERE into old-school heavy metal?
Brainbiter

Post by Brainbiter »

Azaras wrote:I dunno, I have a LOT of fun getting hammered, headbanging, and yelling to VENOM & HELLHAMMER.

Mayhap I am not "teh kvlt".
I am having a great time listening to Venom and Hellhammer too but Venom and Hellhammer are not black metal. Venom are a NWOBHM version of punk Motorhead and Hellhammer are Hellhammer, more thrash metal than anything else. Ok, Venom perhaps coined the term and Hellhammer gave that necro feel to the riffs but that doesn't make them Black Metal in the same way that Black Sabbath are not a Doom Metal band. When I am talking about Black Metal I refer to a code of aesthetics more than just a "satanic" image, which in the case of Venom is all fun.
Azaras wrote:However, I do recall one interview from like '98 or '99 ( ? ) where he noted he brought the BLACK SABBATH s/t album to the recording studio along with "The Return" to give the producer an example of the sound he wanted for one of the classic DARKTHRONE CDs.
I have no reason to doubt that. Black Sabbath is among the first bands anyone into HM listens to. I believe you understand the difference between BS and Cirith Ungol or Manilla Road. Furthermore, I can't remember him ever mentioning anything else apart from Bathory, Sarcofago, Venom, Hellhammer and a couple more. No classic Heavy Metal at all. I believe that if he had access to bands like MR and CU and they were "what Darkthrone were all along" he would have mentioned them. Instead, this is the second time, that I can remember, that he is re-inventing the Darkthrone past. First time was when TCIA came out. Then it was Discharge and punk that Darkthrone were always about.
It's ok and cool that he just found out about them, no problem with that. It's just that it is really suspicious that he is trying to convince us that Darkthrone always loved classic HM at a time when "cult-true-classic" HM is becoming a trend.
That's all. I smell dishonesty and business so I keep a safe distance.
"The destruction of a thousand billion sea creatures to satisfy man's appetite for metal is insane"

Days Of The Locust. My blog o' movies.
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

Brainbiter wrote:I am having a great time listening to Venom and Hellhammer too but Venom and Hellhammer are not black metal. Venom are a NWOBHM version of punk Motorhead and Hellhammer are Hellhammer, more thrash metal than anything else. Ok, Venom perhaps coined the term and Hellhammer gave that necro feel to the riffs but that doesn't make them Black Metal. When I am talking about Black Metal I refer to a code of aesthetics more than just a "satanic" image, which in the case of Venom is all fun.
I have got to disagree with you here, respectfully. HELLHAMMER and VENOM are the absolute epitome of "black metal", or "death metal", or whatever you want to call it. They are much of the deathtone of all these '80s bands with gruesome demo-covers and harsh rehearsals. The screechy vocals and razor-sharp guitar of all these '90s Norwegian bands was taken from HELLHAMMER!

You refer to it as an aesthetic, and yeah, you're right, its different now. Yet I still think VENOM were as serious about their aesthetics and music as DARKTHRONE were. Did VENOM actually believe Satan? No. Did DARKTHRONE? No, I don't think they did either. They were both totally serious about the satanic aesthetic of their music, though. Hell, Venom were 666% aesthetics!
Brainbiter wrote:in the same way that Black Sabbath are not a Doom Metal band.

BLACK SABBATH IS *THE* DOOM METAL BAND. BLACK SABBATH IS THE SOUND OF YOUR DOOM ITSELF.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Brainbiter wrote:It's ok and cool that he just found out about them, no problem with that. It's just that it is really suspicious that he is trying to convince us that Darkthrone always loved classic HM at a time when "cult-true-classic" HM is becoming a trend.
That's all. I smell dishonesty and business so I keep a safe distance.
You are right. There is a huge difference between BLACK SABBATH and CIRITH UNGOL, yeah.

The worst part about this is black metal kvltists are going to stop buying French black metal limited-to-100 LPs and start talking like they know about classic heavy metal and doom. It's going to suck! :(