New Darkthrone?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I don't understand that "BUY OR DIE" thing either it comes from Fenriz or from god himself. What the fuck is it supposed to mean? I will buy whatever i want and i'm pretty sure i won't "die" even if i buy the lamest record ever. Who are you to tell me what to buy or not? And why should i feel guilty about any purchase of mine that doesn't fit with Fenriz's or anyone else's "BUY OR DIE" list? "BUY OR DIE" lists can fuck off. Besides, will the new blakk met'l kids learn but mainly love 80's metal because Fenriz told them about it? Very doubtful. If you search and discover old metal that's because you really WANT to do that and you're REALLY INTERESTED in it, not because someone said to do so. It's very simple indeed.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Agree!

You cannot force anyone to learn anything. even one's own children.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

Did anyone else think that the album kinda sucked, regardless of the semiotics?
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

hahahaha black metal-GEORGE BUSH!!!!!! :evil: NOW THATS NOT FUN HAHA...

SERIOUSLY, finally, all these guys are growing up, this case darktrhone, which btw i really like thier early albums, and come on "they were teenagers when they started" now i think that they finally realized that the "im serious black-and-white black metaller" comes also from another place....the 80's, even bands like Ripper, or Death SS can be considered direct influences of "im not having fun black metal" :roll:

and come on...even "troo" black metal bands have fun while they play, if not, whats the point, they do it it because they like it-if-they-like-it=they-have-fun-if-people-like-their-music=they have fun too

go terrorists and not "evil musicians" instead :wink:

its good to find this kind of albums, thumbs up for DARKTHRONE!
Helm

Post by Helm »

Professor Black wrote:Did anyone else think that the album kinda sucked, regardless of the semiotics?
Some good riffs here and there... But there's good riffs here and there and everywhere anyway, that's dressing. The music must have some cohesive aesthetic going for it otherwise it's just ear candy.

Ion, I bet there WILL be a new interest in HM by black metal 'kids' actually.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Helm wrote:
Ion, I bet there WILL be a new interest in HM by black metal 'kids' actually.
By black metal teenage fans maybe, but by blakk met'l kids, no. :)
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Kinda semi-offtopic, but it's always fun reading those early MAYHEM-interviews where they totally slag classic Heavy Metal (Maiden, Priest etc..). Considering how much Respect For The Elders there is in the BM-scene you'd think the kids would follow suit.
Helm

Post by Helm »

I remember a Euronymus interview where he said he listens to Marillion and projects his own evil feeling on top of it so...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

DaN wrote:Kinda semi-offtopic, but it's always fun reading those early MAYHEM-interviews where they totally slag classic Heavy Metal (Maiden, Priest etc..). Considering how much Respect For The Elders there is in the BM-scene you'd think the kids would follow suit.
I'm not big into Black Metal, but if at all possible could you please give me the links to these interviews?

I think that it would make for a decent read.

It would be appreciated.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

These were ancient interviews I've read in some old 80's zines. Don't know if they're online. Maybe they softned up on the anti-Metal thing later..
Helm

Post by Helm »

A lot of that stuff is indeed transfered on the internet as the black metal fanbase is pretty historical about their favourite oldish bands pretty much as we are about our own loved heavy metal bands. Just googling for 'Mayhem interview Euronymus' will get you a lot of interesting reads.
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

My favorite page for early black metal photos/scans and history is the UNHOLY BLACK METAL CULT website
http://www.blackmetal.nu/~ubc/
I personally like the new Darkthrone album. I don't think it's trying super hard to BE anything or some clever marketing move to turn black metal kids on to 80's heavy metal. Looking at Darkthrone's musical history it's clear to see that they do whatever they want in most cases. Fenriz seems like he is just expressing his possible "rediscovered" interest in classic 80's metal. It's clear that black metal as a incredibly powerful form of metal is almost completely gone. Most of those great bands from long ago are older and have settled down. Can anyone really expect Darkthrone to still be making intensely evil and raw minimal black metal like they once did? Darkthrone have probably come to realize that they aren't able to make music like that with any genuine emotion. It took them a few years to fully realize this, thus we have their 1996-2002 period of experimentation/failure/stumbling..kind of looking for a solid identity. They obviously don't want to stop making music. So they kind of take it back to complete basics. I can appreciate the last 4 albums for what they are.
Old,slightly bitter, alcoholic metal dudes making dirty/raw heavy metal.
That is basically it. Are the more recent albums fucking amazing? Not really.
But they are still pretty good.
Helm

Post by Helm »

Can anyone really expect Darkthrone to still be making intensely evil and raw minimal black metal like they once did?
No but one can expect them to at least retire the name and do their heavy metal project under something else.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, I liked the last album better than the rest, but that's actually because I never like Darkthrone, nor Black Metal, so I understad the anger of their older fans, and probably the best would've been a name change.
IronBloodBlasphemy

Post by IronBloodBlasphemy »

FOAD is a really bad joke of an album. It's not that I dislike the new direction (I liked The Cult is Alive), but this new one is so lazy. It sounds as if it was slapped together in about a week. Plus the liner notes are some of the most condescending things I've ever seen in a release. Who do they think their audience is after all, the hot topic crowd????