Aurophon "Brainstorm" CD series bootlegs

...and all CD issues goes here.
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

There are just versions pressed in two different pressing plants, that's all.

The lordisc version has "made in france" printed, whereas the helstar one has "made in germany". I'll say it again - just two different versions.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

I also made Vectom "Speed Revolutions" scans, I forgot to copy them from the HD ... will do too.

The only Aurophon cd I bought back then that I still got is the SDI, and ... it's another made in W.Germany "AU" press.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Heathen wrote:I'd prefer a scan of the original...
The problem is that I don't even know how the original should look. I have seen this specific disc with 3 or 4 variations of the Matrix. Aurophon was very inconsistent with the text and format when they pressed these CD's. Even comparing to some of the other titles in the series is not necessarily helpful.

Maybe I should just take the time to scan every single Aurophon CD I have that is a first pressing to show you what I mean.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Yakish wrote:promised that he bought them sealed in 1991
If I had a dollar for every time I was told this over the years I would be a rich man. I don't believe what I am told by those that are trying to sell me something unless of course it is an answer to a specific detail that I have asked for.

I have to say that I am partial to the scan Helstar provided. This one so far looks the most authentic to me and is of course different from many of the other Aurophon "Brainstorm Series" discs so using them as a reference is rather pointless.
Last edited by Avenger on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Heathen wrote:There are just versions pressed in two different pressing plants, that's all.

The lordisc version has "made in france" printed, whereas the helstar one has "made in germany". I'll say it again - just two different versions.
Here's the problem though. Not every single disc in this series has two different versions with one set being made in France and one in Germany. So why this one? Is this really a case with there being two different versions or just a mistake that was made when the bootleg was created?
Yakish

Post by Yakish »

Avenger wrote:So why this one? Is this really a case with there being two different versions or just a mistake that was made when the bootleg was created?
Many questions about old CDs will stay unanswered, until someone who was related in producing them back in those ancient days can tell us.
For example:
Why 2 on 1 versions of Gravestone and Stormwitch on Scratch Records (Japan) or 2 on 1 Artillery on Roadrunner version omitted tracks?
Why pricekillers, aurophon and other rotated or resized covers?
etc., etc.
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Yakish wrote:
Avenger wrote:So why this one? Is this really a case with there being two different versions or just a mistake that was made when the bootleg was created?
Many questions about old CDs will stay unanswered, until someone who was related in producing them back in those ancient days can tell us.
For example:
Why 2 on 1 versions of Gravestone and Stormwitch on Scratch Records (Japan) or 2 on 1 Artillery on Roadrunner version omitted tracks?
Why pricekillers, aurophon and other rotated or resized covers?
etc., etc.
or - why some pricekillers have dates printed from the time of actual pressing (1990) and others from the date of the original release of the album? (like Whiplash Ticket to Mayhem - the only date on the artwork is 1987)

What I know for sure about the Darkness pressing - just from a detailed matrix analysis and comparison - is that it came out of a legitimate pressing plant before 1995. It is not a bootleg replica (why print made in france?!), not a different release either. We know many releases with different matrix variations and noone doubts their authenticity.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Avenger, please stop confusing people with wild guesses. Record labels have no control over the font and format of the matrix, it is solely set-up by the pressing plant when the glass matrix is created.

Pressing plants do not keep glass stampers for long, usually 6 months to an year maximum. If a label decide to re-print a release outside that period, an entirely new glass matrix is created, which could have different format, and/or text used. And in some cases even extra or different numbering. This is something which is solely controlled by the pressing plant and may change whenever they do something.

And since record labels usually do not care to change/update insert layouts, you get cds which look identical and are all legit originals, but have different looking matrix-es.

Unless you worked for the label/pressing plant and know the inside info, you can do nothing but guess.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

GandALF wrote:Avenger, please stop confusing people with wild guesses. Record labels have no control over the font and format of the matrix, it is solely set-up by the pressing plant when the glass matrix is created.

Pressing plants do not keep glass stampers for long, usually 6 months to an year maximum. If a label decide to re-print a release outside that period, an entirely new glass matrix is created, which could have different format, and/or text used. And in some cases even extra or different numbering. This is something which is solely controlled by the pressing plant and may change whenever they do something.

And since record labels usually do not care to change/update insert layouts, you get cds which look identical and are all legit originals, but have different looking matrix-es.

Unless you worked for the label/pressing plant and know the inside info, you can do nothing but guess.
But I remember that you as band/label can ask for the glass matrix. Since you've paid for it, it's legally yours.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

GandALF wrote:Avenger, please stop confusing people with wild guesses. Record labels have no control over the font and format of the matrix, it is solely set-up by the pressing plant when the glass matrix is created.

I'm not confusing anyone. I'm simply stating facts to show why I have doubts and concerns. When I return home I will post the scan and we'll see what people have to say then.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I was going through this thread looking for something and realized that I forgot to post the scan of the bootleg Darkness - "Deathsquad" CD.

For all those that think this pressing is legit are you mistaken. It doesn't look bad when scanned but in person you can tell for sure.

Heathen

Post by Heathen »

With all due respect - you know a lot about CDs - but as anyone you have been wrong before and you are wrong this time. Don't know about this scan but my copy is certainly original. At least it is from a legitimate pressing plant back printed in early 1990s.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Heathen wrote:Don't know about this scan but my copy is certainly original
Is your copy looking like the Avenger's one or the one I posted ?

(I'm not saying that this is a boot or an original, actually I don't know).
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

I think I posted it here... it has a similar looking LORDISC matrix.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Then it could even be that yours is the genuine original and Avenger's one is its fake replica ^^