Sonic Age Records

...and all CD issues goes here.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

In some labels defense, some bands don't have any material for booklets, so sometimes these small skimpy booklets aren't the label's fault.

Also some bands don't even have the best quality of their music to give to the label and for some reason a bootleg version has a better sound which sucks again for a label.

Some bands refuse to have nicer artwork for their releases, refuse to have lyrics, etc (I've ran into it all).

Cheap thin paper pressings is 100% label's fault though, tray cards that don't fit into the jewel cases are label's using cheap pressing plants, etc.
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

Shadow Kingdom wrote: Cheap thin paper pressings is 100% label's fault though, tray cards that don't fit into the jewel cases are label's using cheap pressing plants, etc.
I don't understand about the tray card problem. Just wonder how can that happened? Didn't they realise the problem when doing the packaging at the factory? I read about your grumble on certain CDs on your website so I'm curious.
I did encounter a problem with CD tray card when I ordered one CD w/o jewel case. I didn't know that CD actually uses a 'special' (thicker) jewel case and til today I still haven't found a suitable jewel case for its tray card. :x
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

No idea how that can happen, my only guess is cheap pressing plant.

Anyway the problem is fixed now and the new batch of CDs that arrived have tray cards that all fit now. :shock:
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I HATE it when I get trades with cheap-ass tray cards without perforation or couldn't fit in the jewel cases. Just finished dealing with one such package and am about ready to kick puppies out of frustration... probably from the same label Tim was angry about. :evil:
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

Leave the puppies alone! :( :lol:

Cats on the other hand..... :twisted:
heavymetalmaniac

Post by heavymetalmaniac »

Regarding inlays, which don't fit:

I've bought some Steel Legacy CD's in Oberhausen, namely Amon-Ra, Daggers Edge and Force Majeure. They all have the same issue with non fitting inlays BUT that's not all, the cd's itself do have very poorly printed labels, the all over impression is: BOOTLEG. I know they aren't but they look like and feel like boots. However, I wrote to them and got an answer which shows that the label is not interested in changing anything.

At the same place I bought the Jameson Raid CD, what a difference. Not that I wouldn't have known but this is a real killer release. Not only from the look and feel, it's just awesome but this was already discussed in another thread.

I paid 10 Euros for every CD, so it's not such a big loss but I already told the seller that I will give him back the Steel Legacy CD's to take some other. He agreed.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Actually I think that the FORCE MAJEURE CD looks great, this is probably their best effort as far as artwork+presentation is concerned.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

heavymetalmaniac wrote:Regarding inlays, which don't fit:

I've bought some Steel Legacy CD's in Oberhausen, namely Amon-Ra, Daggers Edge and Force Majeure. They all have the same issue with non fitting inlays BUT that's not all, the cd's itself do have very poorly printed labels, the all over impression is: BOOTLEG...
Oh man! I just got a package from them. Now I'm afraid to open it up... :(
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Why the hell do you really care about how other labels want their releases printed when they are 1000% legit?
Never trust the Goblin King....
heavymetalmaniac

Post by heavymetalmaniac »

Meanwhile the label told me that only around 10-15 cd's were affected by the problem with too large inlays. I don't know how it is with the printing of the cd labels, maybe the same and I got the luck to get some of these. However, I can give them back so for me the problem is solved.

They actually do have a strange policy - IMO. The band counts more than the customer as it seems, so they care about that the band gets money out of their cd's (which surely is more than okay) BUT if the way how a CD is presented doesn't count anymore (like they said it's "the music" which counts above everything, then they could also put out CD-R's instead. They compare their releases with private pressings but from what I've seen there are bootlegs, which look better.

However, this is just my opinion, others might see it different, since their releases are legit but at least some minimum standards should be met.
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

I just wonder, do the audio CD manufacturers today still follow the old Redbook standard? :roll:

Talking about CD labels, it seems like most of the companies today prefer to use picture CD labels. Why no one makes 'silver' CD like the old days?
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Trigger wrote:Why the hell do you really care about how other labels want their releases printed when they are 1000% legit?
Please don't ask me dumb questions as I'd say things I'd regret afterward. Thanks.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

TRAMONTANE - S/T CD from Arkeyn Steel tray card doesn't fit either. Strange, maybe they're both using the same pressing plant (Steel Legacy and Arkeyn Steel)?

You would think that a plant would cut every single tray card the same size...... I guess not.
GJ

Post by GJ »

I did some investigation at the plant (Günter Wallraff-style) and managed to take this photo:

:D
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

You think it's so dumb?Why don't you indicate how a CD should be pressed,set the standards.They want to use that material,it's their problem and the buyer is free to decide if he buys it or not.You are not forced to distribute it and if you ask me,it's dumber to think that they wanted to make the tray card unsuitable for the case,isn't it?My copy is fine anyway....
Never trust the Goblin King....