Sonic Age Records

...and all CD issues goes here.
Shiremen

Sonic Age Records

Post by Shiremen »

I just found http://sonicagerecords.com/_shop/

As I collect CDs, this place seems like a dream come true. But then I discovered it's a Greek site. So does anyone know if all these records are bootlegs or not?
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

AGONY - The First Defiance CD 13.00EUR

Thrash Metal

Later Edition

UNDER ONE FLAG RECORDS

I don't think there are any doubts...
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Yes this is a well-known bootleg seller on ebay. They've got some legit stuff (new releases etc) but mostly bootlegs.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

If you're in Sweden, you should support your local metal shop.

http://www.ihate.se/

They carry good stuff here and nice people to deal with.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Seconded!
ARC

Post by ARC »

Mr Kingdom speaks the truth
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

perishinflames wrote:Yes this is a well-known bootleg seller on ebay. They've got some legit stuff (new releases etc) but mostly bootlegs.
I'll vouch this statement.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Even their new releases are a little iffy. They've gotten worse again after a period where they seemed to head for a more legit way of business.
heavymetalmaniac

Post by heavymetalmaniac »

Does someone remember "Cult Metal Classics"? I speak about the original label, which released very fine albums like "Valhalla" or "Black Knight". Their first releases were numbered and of an awesome quality, made by fans for fans.

Later on Sonic Age Records took them over and all the later releases got a very poor quality. One of the worst examples are the Brainfever CD reissues. They got the "rights" for these releases from Shark Records and pressed them from whatever sources. Especially "Capture The Night" sounds like if it was taken from an LP. I had the old Mausoleum CD pressing of this album, which sounds much better.

How happy I was when they announced the CD issue of "Cerebus - Too Late To Pray" but when I got it, it was a huge disappointment. The paper was so thin and overall it was/ is not a worthy reissue for this album. Ann Boleyn still claims that Sonic Age Records don't have the rights for this album, since Shark Records (who sold these) didn't have them either. Hoewever, I hope Ann will release this including the bonustrack and delivering a better quality - at least she wanted to do so some time ago.

I really hate this term "Later issue" and everything this way, it just means "not legit" or another word for bootleg.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

heavymetalmaniac wrote:I really hate this term "Later issue" and everything this way, it just means "not legit" or another word for bootleg.
Yes, "fanclub release" sounds much more elegant :P
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

heavymetalmaniac wrote: I hope Ann will release this including the bonustrack and delivering a better quality
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ann has never made a quality pressing, she simply does not know how to.
heavymetalmaniac

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
heavymetalmaniac wrote: I hope Ann will release this including the bonustrack and delivering a better quality
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ann has never made a quality pressing, she simply does not know how to.
I know you're right BUT her reissues are still better than those made by Sonic Age/ CMC.
Nothing to compare with Shadow Kingdom, Stormspell or whatsoever... but at least less painful than the greek crap -IMO.

M.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

There are some Sonic Age/CMC releases that are actually well done. OK, no comparison to Stormspell or SK with those 10+ booklets and if you exclude the thin paper on almost all of them, I don't think it's fair to say that all of them suck. I mean there are lyrics, bios and bonus tracks on many of them, can't see why for example the old Slauter Xstroyes CD releases of Monster records can be considered superior to some of SA/CMC releases. Or for example the latest TYRANT CDs released thru Battle Cry records with those awful front cover prints. Surely there were some major disappointments like the BRAINFEVER CDs you mentioned, but I really can't say that they're of the lowest quality either, generally speaking.

As far as the 'bootleg or not' issue is concerned, their own releases are 99+ per cent legit. The items they sell on their webstore is a different story though as there are many bootlegs among them, usually those that are described as 'later release' which you should avoid if you are totally against bootlegs.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
heavymetalmaniac

There are some Sonic Age/CMC releases that are actually well done. OK, no comparison to Stormspell or SK with those 10+ booklets and if you exclude the thin paper on almost all of them, I don't think it's fair to say that all of them suck.
You're right but there was a bunch of releases which actually had quality problems (thin paper, bad sound quality). Main examples are Brainfever, Cerebus and some others. To be fair I have to admit that later releases like Phantom, Death Dealer and others were slightly better.

Didn't Sonic Age/ CMC release the two Atlain Albums "G.O.E" and "Living In The Dark"? Before they released "Living In The Dark" Shark Records did this in their shaby (IMO) "Rusty Diamonds" series. I think the Sonic Age reissue was a big improvement compared to the Shark Recodrs release... .

M.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

heavymetalmaniac wrote:
There are some Sonic Age/CMC releases that are actually well done. OK, no comparison to Stormspell or SK with those 10+ booklets and if you exclude the thin paper on almost all of them, I don't think it's fair to say that all of them suck.
You're right but there was a bunch of releases which actually had quality problems (thin paper, bad sound quality). Main examples are Brainfever, Cerebus and some others.
I won't argue with this and like I've said there were some disappointments on their catalogue... I'm not extremely picky about sound quality, but I must admit that there was enough space for improvement. I don't mind a few flaws in old rereleased stuff as long as it's listenable and it doesn't sound like some shitty mp3 transfer, various stuff from other labels isnt exactly flawless in the sound quality department either, but I have no problem enjoying it
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart