Non-urgent CD questions (READ OP!)

...and all CD issues goes here.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

I've had 8 original copies of Live to Die from various sources, and the only one with a full back insert was the one bootleg that I got :lol:

Also the inserts on the cut copies feel very cheap and almost 'new', it was my thought that there were a bunch of orig discs left and Dave just re-printed some cheap covers to sell them (and cut the spines to mark them?) of course I have no proof and it's not a serious accusation, but it would make sense as the discs are identical and I'm sure that pressing plant is long gone so more identical discs could not have been pressed.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Recently i've noticed that 2 of my cd's don't have barcode on the backcover. Instead there is something like this:

What it means? Why there is no barcode?
Shiremen

Post by Shiremen »

It means that it is a Record Club Issue. You could only get them if you were a member.
rooster

Post by rooster »

i see. They are more/less worthy than normal isse ?
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

I've often seen sellers try to advertise a CD as a "very rare version" because it is a record club release and increase price because of this. But most of the time - from what I've seen - they are worth less than normal releases as far as collectors are concerned. They are worth less for me for sure. I've heard some people even argue that they... sound worse, but thats of course bullshit. Oh and be careful - Columbia House record club releases have barcodes, and they can only be distinguished from regular releases by locating a "CRC" text on the CD and/or inserts.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

rooster wrote:Recently i've noticed that 2 of my cd's don't have barcode on the backcover. Instead there is something like this:

What it means? Why there is no barcode?
It means that it's a cheap record club issue that's quite common among North America. Avoided by collectors as these are not the original pressings. It should have a different CAT # as well.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Anyone knows what the "DIDX ####" or "DIDP ####" text printed on some old US CDs (sometimes also on matrix) means? It can be found on CDs from different manufacturers (EMI, Elektra, Epic and others).

edit: I found the answer, but I won't delete my post in case someone is also interested:

http://www.discogs.com/help/forums/topic/171820
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Avenger wrote:It means that it's a cheap record club issue that's quite common among North America. Avoided by collectors as these are not the original pressings.
Unless it's Metallica :wink:

I got $65 for an RCA Record Club cassette of Master of Puppets. Also seen various record club releases of a lot of Metallica stuff go for quite a bit. For completists only I guess...
DMR

Post by DMR »

perishinflames wrote:
Avenger wrote:It means that it's a cheap record club issue that's quite common among North America. Avoided by collectors as these are not the original pressings.

I got $65 for an RCA Record Club cassette of Master of Puppets. Also seen various record club releases of a lot of Metallica stuff go for quite a bit. For completists only I guess...
I was a member of Columbia House and BMG in the early '90s and I always wondered why they never had any Metallica albums. Many years later I found out that bands don't get any royalties from albums sold through the record clubs, so I think that explains it.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

perishinflames wrote:

Yes, but I've also seen Metallica Japanese pressing sample CD's go for outragous amounts as well... so...
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

All those sealed Ashen Existence copies... Can anyone tell me what they are? Are these first press releases found "in someones basement", or are they current, new re-releases? Maybe they are bootlegs? Anyone has any knowledge on this?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

pan_Heathen wrote:All those sealed Ashen Existence copies... Can anyone tell me what they are? Are these first press releases found "in someones basement", or are they current, new re-releases? Maybe they are bootlegs? Anyone has any knowledge on this?
Ask Nebuchadnezzar.

Apparently he knows every single seller of these.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Split due to size ...and again tomorrow for different formats, probably/aDmiN
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Avenger wrote:
pan_Heathen wrote:All those sealed Ashen Existence copies... Can anyone tell me what they are? Are these first press releases found "in someones basement", or are they current, new re-releases? Maybe they are bootlegs? Anyone has any knowledge on this?
Ask Nebuchadnezzar.

If he was going to tell us he would have done so already.

Never mind, I contacted one of the sellers myself and I have my answer.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

pan_Heathen wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Ask Nebuchadnezzar.

If he was going to tell us he would have done so already.

Never mind, I contacted one of the sellers myself and I have my answer.
I was kidding.

He doesn't believe that there is a possibility of a bootleg.