Corroseum Facebook page?

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

Corroseum Facebook page?

Post by DaN »

:shock:
Sounds insane, doesn't it? I could rant & rant forever about the evils of Web 2.0, social media and the privatization of the internet, BUT... as a sheer promotional and communication tool for a trivia-based webpage I don't have quite as many objections. I've toyed with this idea for a couple of years now and I'm leaning more & more towards starting something up in the near future. Still have a dozen or 2 old-man "how to FB" youtube clips to watch tho' as I'm 100% ignorant in this field.

So - would this be useful/helpful for visitors? The idea is it would sort of a complement to the News/updates-page, and also allow me to find/contact various hard-to-find individuals for various site-projects. The will be NO like-buttons or other changes to the actual site, just a link from the Contact-page..
mordred

Re: Corroseum Facebook page?

Post by mordred »

You will discover there are RECORDS FOR SALE AND TRADE on Facebook and you'll be down the rabbit hole and quite possibly die.

But yeah, it is useful for the purposes you have in mind. :wink:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I am kinda glad that you decided to at least start pondering this option. I am certain FB site would do you a lot of favour and very little of a harm, although I am everything but social e-networks fan.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I'm equally ignorant of fb & take nothing to do with it, but as a promotional tool it seems to be essential circa 2022. One potential upside is that it may attract back some former members who lost track of the site over the years.
On a related note, what's become of Ernest Thesiger? He's been omnipresent here for many a year but has disappeared of late.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Facebook has honestly become one big cesspool of advertising. I personally only use it for Messenger with friends. Most people left for other platforms like Instagram (which is clean of adds on the desktop version) which means that most people still remaining on FB are bored dads. So yeah that matches 100% the Corroseum demografics :D.

But honestly FB is outdated and as filled with ads.
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

Facebook is a place I can only stomach for short periods of time. Seems like everything posted there ends up in an argument, one way or another. I use messenger quite a bit just to keep in touch with certain friends, but that's a different deal altogether. But, you could try it out and see if you like what happens. Always the option to stay or leave.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cheers for the feedback. Agree on 'bored dads' and possible addiction to record-collector groups.

My main obstacle now is figuring out the various settings and functions for both my actual personal profile and the 'Page' - 2 different things it seems...
humus

Post by humus »

Zombie Dance wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:23 pm Facebook has honestly become one big cesspool of advertising. I personally only use it for Messenger with friends. Most people left for other platforms like Instagram (which is clean of adds on the desktop version) which means that most people still remaining on FB are bored dads. So yeah that matches 100% the Corroseum demografics :D.

Any platform goes down the drain after a certain amount of time. Myspace, facebook, instagram, initially it's interesting and then it isn't anymore.

I've unsubscribed from most of those facebook collector groups because you have the same problem. Either you end up with a bunch of people posting coloured vinyl reissues or you do get the occasional interesting post, with exactly zero feedback or discussion.

Instagram is more like window-shopping. Nice to look at things but seldom do you get a lot of background or an interesting discussion. Interesting people with interesting collections are on there but they will eventually run out of things to post and after that you'll only have the coloured vinyl people left again.

With this whole vinyl ressurection thing you just have a lot of people into metal record collecting that have very little to do with my outlook on things. They are a different generation/different breed. I don't really mind them but they just bore me.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

humus wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:45 pm
Zombie Dance wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:23 pm Facebook has honestly become one big cesspool of advertising. I personally only use it for Messenger with friends. Most people left for other platforms like Instagram (which is clean of adds on the desktop version) which means that most people still remaining on FB are bored dads. So yeah that matches 100% the Corroseum demografics :D.

Any platform goes down the drain after a certain amount of time. Myspace, facebook, instagram, initially it's interesting and then it isn't anymore.

I've unsubscribed from most of those facebook collector groups because you have the same problem. Either you end up with a bunch of people posting coloured vinyl reissues or you do get the occasional interesting post, with exactly zero feedback or discussion.

Instagram is more like window-shopping. Nice to look at things but seldom do you get a lot of background or an interesting discussion. Interesting people with interesting collections are on there but they will eventually run out of things to post and after that you'll only have the coloured vinyl people left again.

With this whole vinyl ressurection thing you just have a lot of people into metal record collecting that have very little to do with my outlook on things. They are a different generation/different breed. I don't really mind them but they just bore me.
I have to agree with most of what you're saying. But I don't think the new collectors out there are a different breed, I think they simply didn't get the chance of having access to any way to fill their collection with exciting, vintage stuff. Colored vinyles and pre-fabricated rarities are all that left to stimulate the young brains to release these cool collector endorphines :) It's all in all a really sad state of affair, it used to be possible to be broke and have a cool collection... The demand is simply huge nowadays and the a lot of greed is making price simply inaccessible (needless to say I couldn't afford to gather the collection I have today).
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Matches most other stories I've heard. In the best of worlds I'd start up a Corroseum instagram-account to set things straight but I really need yet another project like I need a hole in my record collection.

Concerning a Corro-FB page:
The first major function and reason for starting up one would be to simply announce site updates. You'd follow the page and instantly get Corro-updates & announcements in your feed. I guess there would be some other bonuses like just better exposure, searching for people and resources, messaging, following a few noteworthy Metal pages etc, but I would like to do this as The Corroseum and not Dan Edman and I'm not sure this would always be possible..?
mordred

Post by mordred »

DaN wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:47 pm Matches most other stories I've heard. In the best of worlds I'd start up a Corroseum instagram-account to set things straight but I really need yet another project like I need a hole in my record collection.

The first major function and reason for starting up one would be to simply announce site updates. You'd follow the page and instantly get Corro-updates & announcements in your feed. I guess there would be some other bonuses like just better exposure, searching for people and resources, messaging, following a few noteworthy Metal pages etc, but I would like to do this as The Corroseum and not Dan Edman and I'm not sure this would always be possible..?
You can post and act as The Corroseum from the page but you need a personal Dan Edman account to create and manage the Corroseum page. You don't need to be active with your personal account if you don't want to. You can message as The Corroseum, but following other pages, joining groups etc you must do as your own person.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

mordred wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:44 am
DaN wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:47 pm Matches most other stories I've heard. In the best of worlds I'd start up a Corroseum instagram-account to set things straight but I really need yet another project like I need a hole in my record collection.

You can post and act as The Corroseum from the page but you need a personal Dan Edman account to create and manage the Corroseum page. You don't need to be active with your personal account if you don't want to. You can message as The Corroseum, but following other pages, joining groups etc you must do as your own person.
Cheers for crash-course! What about commenting? I guess this mysterious "Dan Edman" character would have to be used as well?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:27 am

Cheers for crash-course! What about commenting? I guess this mysterious "Dan Edman" character would have to be used as well?
I think it is worth to try to go with a nickname, if it suits you better that way. I have one account with nickname. Only make sure that it has first and second name, like "Admin Corros" or sth.
mordred

Post by mordred »

DaN wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:27 am

Yes I believe so, but not when you comment on posts at The Corroseum page itself of course.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:28 amOn a related note, what's become of Ernest Thesiger? He's been omnipresent here for many a year but has disappeared of late.
His last activity on RYM dates to mid-december. There's also message "Sorry for all delays", which means he will have some work to do upon return.. I guess he will come back soon.