The North-American Heavy Metal 7" Guide (Ye Olde Obscure)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
Khnud

Re: The North-American Heavy Metal 7" Guide (Ye Olde Obscure)

Post by Khnud »

khiijol wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:38 pm totally awesome! thank you for all the hard work, looking forward to your thoughts on shyzgifter :)
Yeah, Shyzgifter will be added in the near future.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

shyzgifter
I can't stop reading this as Scheißgifter...
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

i've always wondered if thats what they were going for with the name, or at least something along those lines
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

New update today, sorry it took so long. Opting for an all picture sleeved cast this time:

ALECSTAR
BLOWN FREE
ESSIE X AND THE BANNED
KING NEPTUNE
LACE
QUICK CHANGE
REX VECTOR
ROCK CORPS
SIREN
VXN
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:27 pm New update today, sorry it took so long. Opting for an all picture sleeved cast this time:

ALECSTAR
BLOWN FREE
ESSIE X AND THE BANNED
KING NEPTUNE
LACE
QUICK CHANGE
REX VECTOR
ROCK CORPS
SIREN
VXN
Thanks for yet another entertaining & informative batch of reviews Khnud. A few acknowledged classics, a great less-celebrated one (Blown Free) & a bunch of stuff i don't know that i'll now have to go & check out.
You reminded me of something i've been asking myself for a long time, namely, what were the motivations behind making these records? I'm talking specifically about the countless number of US 45s from this era with the 'commercial' A side & the killer tr00 flip.
On paper this stategy seems to make sense. Maybe a label will see we can write hit songs & sign us or we'll get some airplay on radio & get a deal through it. Seems reasonable enough, except i can't think of a single Hard Rock/Heavy Metal act that you could look to & say that this strategy worked for them, which is weird as it seems like everyone was following a tried & true formula, except the formula didn't actually produce results. Whilst the likes of Motley & Ratt obviously did start out with indie albums & Mini LPs, i'm talking about 7"s specifically here.
Maybe i've got it all wrong and i'm doing the bands a grave injustice, perhaps they were genuinely conflicted songwriters who just loved to play Hard Rock, AOR & trad Metal in equal measure, but i'm inclined to think not. :?
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Interesting question, and I don't have a good answer.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:19 pm Interesting question, and I don't have a good answer.
I must put the question to Alan Nightsblood, he's bound to have an interesting theory (that may or may not somehow involve time travel). :D
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:34 am
Khnud wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:19 pm Interesting question, and I don't have a good answer.
I must put the question to Alan Nightsblood, he's bound to have an interesting theory (that may or may not somehow involve time travel). :D
Feel free to cc yours truly, I'd like to hear both your thoughts on this! :-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Merry Christmas! Your Heavy Metal Santa has graciously brought you 10 new hard packages, this time featuring no less than three holiday themed items. Will they deliver? You decide. New additions:

BT&T
DEAD SERIOS
FRICTION
HOT HEAD SLATER
REDDI KILLOWATT
RUDOLF'S NIGHTMARE
SHARKS
TOYS

And finally two ultra rarities - the M-80's / WORLD ALLIANCE split 7" plus WRATH.

Enjoy!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:40 pm Merry Christmas! Your Heavy Metal Santa has graciously brought you 10 new hard packages, this time featuring no less than three holiday themed items. Will they deliver? You decide.
Merry Kristian to you too Christmas! :D Many thanks for bringing us a fresh sack-load of reviews & arranging them neatly under the tree for us to marvel over. This selection is mainly unknown to me so it looks like i have some research to do.
Of the 2 records i do know, that Sharks single is one of the few Xmas songs that i willingly listen to & it deserves credit also for predicting the modern phenomena of the musical 'mash-up'. I know i have a rip of Hot Head Slater too but i can't recall anything at all about it, which seems to more or less echo your impression (or lack thereof).
Great work as always Khnud, though your talk of 'hard packages' did put an unpleasant image in my head where there should have been images of sugar-plum fairies dancing instead. :lol:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:48 am
Khnud wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:40 pm Merry Christmas! Your Heavy Metal Santa has graciously brought you 10 new hard packages, this time featuring no less than three holiday themed items. Will they deliver? You decide.
Merry Kristian to you too Christmas! :D Many thanks for bringing us a fresh sack-load of reviews & arranging them neatly under the tree for us to marvel over. This selection is mainly unknown to me so it looks like i have some research to do.
Of the 2 records i do know, that Sharks single is one of the few Xmas songs that i willingly listen to & it deserves credit also for predicting the modern phenomena of the musical 'mash-up'. I know i have a rip of Hot Head Slater too but i can't recall anything at all about it, which seems to more or less echo your impression (or lack thereof).
Great work as always Khnud, though your talk of 'hard packages' did put an unpleasant image in my head where there should have been images of sugar-plum fairies dancing instead. :lol:
Thank you. Hard packages might be a Swedish expression that translates poorly. In Sweden - hard packages (i.e. gifts) = not clothes, soft packages = clothes. Sorry about that.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Funny to see my image scans are now finding their way into Discogs entries (not added by me) and even band interviews (definitely not conducted by me). And of course no one has asked permission to use the images - this really proves that once you add something to the internet, it is automatically free for everyone to use in every way they desire. :mrgreen:
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
The Ripper

Post by The Ripper »

Ha ha...you mean that Wrath vinyl pictures I guess! By the way, I 'd bought from that guy and he is reliable with good prices too. He even sent me some rare mp3's I asked him once...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:31 pm Funny to see my image scans are now finding their way into Discogs entries (not added by me) and even band interviews (definitely not conducted by me). And of course no one has asked permission to use the images - this really proves that once you add something to the internet, it is automatically free for everyone to use in every way they desire. :mrgreen:
Unfortunately i see this happen often. Some custom CD art that i knocked up to accompany something i uploaded elsewhere has also been added to discogs by someone as if it were the real McCoy, despite the fact that i clearly labelled it as custom. I feel really sorry for the poor sods who add this 'version' to their wants lists as a result.
And relating to my prior post, in American slang: package = male genitalia, so 10 hard 'packages' = :shock: :cry: :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yankee cultural imperialism destroys minds & reaps souls. :lol:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:30 am
Khnud wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:31 pm Funny to see my image scans are now finding their way into Discogs entries (not added by me) and even band interviews (definitely not conducted by me). And of course no one has asked permission to use the images - this really proves that once you add something to the internet, it is automatically free for everyone to use in every way they desire. :mrgreen:
Unfortunately i see this happen often. Some custom CD art that i knocked up to accompany something i uploaded elsewhere has also been added to discogs by someone as if it were the real McCoy, despite the fact that i clearly labelled it as custom. I feel really sorry for the poor sods who add this 'version' to their wants lists as a result.
And relating to my prior post, in American slang: package = male genitalia, so 10 hard 'packages' = :shock: :cry: :cry:
Yankee cultural imperialism destroys minds & reaps souls. :lol:
Wow, this gave me a hearty laugh. Well, for those that claim really sought after items give them hard-ons, Khnud was on the spot. So 10 hard packages ... :lol: :lol: :lol: To go back to image scans being used already for "commerical" purposes, I wonder how long will it take to Cult Of The Underdog serie to emerge on Discogs, if it is not already.
I am ... the One you warned me of