The North-American Heavy Metal 7" Guide (Ye Olde Obscure)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

The North-American Heavy Metal 7" Guide (Ye Olde Obscure)

Post by DaN »

This long-time-coming project of forum member Khnud is finally ready for launch. Heavy X-mas!
Khnud

Re: The North-American Heavy Metal 7" Guide (Ye Olde Obscure)

Post by Khnud »

Hooray! Thank you DaN, for your patience! I'm going to add reviews continually in batches of 20 or so. Presently there are a little more than 100 singles reviewed, and I have over 400 at home, so expect this site feature to grow significantly over time.

I see one of the BANSHEE images are screwed up in some way. I'll scan it again when I get back to work.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Was thinking of something similar just recently. But 500 singles won't cover much of the local US scene. This will be a neverending project. Keep em comin'... :lol:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Cool! Plenty of stuff to discover ahead, thanx so much!!!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Awesome! :D
This feature is right up my street in terms of era & style and already you've given me plenty of stuff to search for.
The quickfire snappy style of the reviews is perfect for the project, and there were a few really good one-liners sprinkled throughout which made me chuckle. Informative and entertaining, good job.
A couple of queries on the 1st batch of reviews; is the 'Wizard' reviewed here the band formerly known as 'Rockduster', and if so, does the Wizard version of the prior group's title song differ from that on the 1979 'WEBN Album Project 4' compilation?
Likewise, is the Royal Orleans version of 'Husslin' In Hollywood' the same as featured on the 'WRNO : The Rock Album' comp when the band was known as 'Persia'? It seems likely as both records came out in the same year, but it often doesn't pay to make such assumptions.
BTW i love the American Gothic inspired illustration for the feature, it's irreverent style perfectly encapsulates the tone of the writing & raises a rye smile of recognition as the Warhead mushroom cloud rises in the background & the Nightchild bat swoops past. Future t-shirt design?
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:18 am Awesome! :D
This feature is right up my street in terms of era & style and already you've given me plenty of stuff to search for.
The quickfire snappy style of the reviews is perfect for the project, and there were a few really good one-liners sprinkled throughout which made me chuckle. Informative and entertaining, good job.
A couple of queries on the 1st batch of reviews; is the 'Wizard' reviewed here the band formerly known as 'Rockduster', and if so, does the Wizard version of the prior group's title song differ from that on the 1979 'WEBN Album Project 4' compilation?
Likewise, is the Royal Orleans version of 'Husslin' In Hollywood' the same as featured on the 'WRNO : The Rock Album' comp when the band was known as 'Persia'? It seems likely as both records came out in the same year, but it often doesn't pay to make such assumptions.
BTW i love the American Gothic inspired illustration for the feature, it's irreverent style perfectly encapsulates the tone of the writing & raises a rye smile of recognition as the Warhead mushroom cloud rises in the background & the Nightchild bat swoops past. Future t-shirt design?
Thank you for your kind words, Sir. :)

As for your questions, Wizard seems to be the same band as Rockduster featured on WEBN. Not sure if the song is the same version though. Same goes for Persia/Royal Orleans. I haven't heard the two comps in question so I simply don't know. Remember - this is a frontier. Open for exploration and filled with both treasures and set backs.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:18 am BTW i love the American Gothic inspired illustration for the feature, it's irreverent style perfectly encapsulates the tone of the writing & raises a rye smile of recognition as the Warhead mushroom cloud rises in the background & the Nightchild bat swoops past. Future t-shirt design?
Cheers. Nothing says "Olde" like American Gothic.. Concerning T-shirts, I'll leave that up to Khnud.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I don't know the first thing about printing t-shirts. But if someone wants to commemorate my humble review project with a t-shirt, I'll salute him or her wholeheartedly.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:39 am Thank you for your kind words, Sir. :)
As for your questions, Wizard seems to be the same band as Rockduster featured on WEBN. Not sure if the song is the same version though. Same goes for Persia/Royal Orleans. I haven't heard the two comps in question so I simply don't know. Remember - this is a frontier. Open for exploration and filled with both treasures and set backs.
A few kind words of gratitude for the mammoth task you've taken on frankly seems wholly inadequate, i'm really looking forward to seeing this feature grow. More power to your elbow!
BTW, I can provide you with the compilation LP versions of both the tracks i mentioned should you wish to confirm whether or not they are indeed the same versions as on the 45s, but if you've more pressing things to do with your time i absolutely get it.
On the subject of Wizard/Rockduster, take a look over at the Rare videos thread for a full length Rockduster live show filmed for Cincinnati's WCET as part of their 'Rock Around The Block' TV series in February 1980. The show was also simulcast on the radio by WEBN. Highly entertaining stuff that suggests a full length album from those guys could have been well worth hearing. I'll post the link now.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

The next update is on its' way, but as a little teaser I've added the following bands:

DESTROYER
TORN ORPHAN
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I'd prefer instead of teasing us, if you'd send me that Destroyer 7". :twisted:
Can you? Will you? Pleeeeaaase ... :P
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

Nice work guys! Looking forward to see this section growing.
*Happy new year
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Btw, how sure are you that Uforia's single is from 1980? It isn't printed on the label anywhere. And their second single most probably was released around 1989/90 since that "Harley riders" song is taken from the 1990er vinyl (very lame stuff). I just wonder if the first single isn't from 1989 too? The whole label artwork looks similar...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Info is taken from Discogs. I guess someone (not me) must have compared the "CW306BO1" information on the label with other releases from the same pressing plant and deducted it's from 1980.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I guess that year 1980 was added by someone who saw those recent auctions of that 7 inch. The seller mentioned 1980 I remember. That's why I thought it's pretty interesting that a band uses exactly the same labels on 3 releases, while the first of the bunch was published a whole decade earlier. Nevertheless, as I said, that "Harley Riders" song definitely was taken from the first album (1990), and there's no year printed on that 7" either.
Nevermind ... I thought you got secret insider info :lol: