The Heavy Metal Mania - The German HR/HM guide

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
bigfootkit

Re: The Heavy Metal Mania - The German HR/HM guide

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:05 pm Another NWOGHM 7"-obscurity added:

KHAILY - No Sex For The Priest 7" 1982 review
Many thanks for the review & share DaN.
This is a great 45, right up my street musically with both songs very strong & particularly well arranged. Heavy enough to satisfy, but still quite sophisticated & melodic, well played & sung with decent production values to boot. I absolutely hear the comparison you made with some of their Scandinavian peers. A nice find indeed.
I wonder how many people have happened across it & just dismissed it out of hand as likely being some throwaway novelty Euro-Pop based on the sleeve, pics & songtitles?
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I had a feeling this would be up your alley. I wouldn't say it's as special as Trivales, but both singles has definitely motivated me to dig deeper into the small & elusive NWOGHM 7" scene..

Trivial anecdote: While doing the sunday house cleaning I came upon a small piece of paper that I almost threw in the trash, thinking it was just some of Mia's random scriblings. Luckily I unfolded it before throwing it away and it turned out to be the lyrics insert of the single that must have fell out of the sleeve during First Play :lol:
Image - Finally here!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:38 pm I had a feeling this would be up your alley. I wouldn't say it's as special as Trivales, but both singles has definitely motivated me to dig deeper into the small & elusive NWOGHM 7" scene..

Trivial anecdote: While doing the sunday house cleaning I came upon a small piece of paper that I almost threw in the trash, thinking it was just some of Mia's random scriblings. Luckily I unfolded it before throwing it away and it turned out to be the lyrics insert of the single that must have fell out of the sleeve during First Play :lol:
Most definitely my cup of tea. Many more releases of the calibre of this & Trivales & i may yet be forced to recalibrate my long-standing preconceptions about the olde Germanic scene.
BTW, you seem to have an uncanny knack for picking out really specific musical comparisons & you nailed it yet again when you likened the B-Side of this one to something off Rainbow's 'Down To Earth'. Spot on.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:38 pm I had a feeling this would be up your alley. I wouldn't say it's as special as Trivales, but both singles has definitely motivated me to dig deeper into the small & elusive NWOGHM 7" scene..
This compilation & the forthcoming 2nd volume might be good for some pointers re the olde German 45 scene:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2000967 ... 8-Volume-1 :shock:

emosteel

Post by emosteel »

From the track list of ''SOUND & ACTION – Rare German Hardrock And Heavy Metal Vol.2" (https://vampster.com/news/sound-action- ... vol-2-v-a/), I discover two German bands unknown to me who released on vinyl:
SKY – Can You Hear Me (1979, 7″ Single)
and
BLAST – Deep In The Night (1983, 12″ EP)

There is information about BLAST here - https://www.discogs.com/release/1367626 ... one-Affair
Unfortunately, I can't find any information about SKY on the web. Perhaps Prowler will know something about.