The Complete* Encyclopedia Of FWOEHM Singles

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
Prowler

Re: The Complete* Encyclopedia Of FWOEHM Singles

Post by Prowler »

Here's Mech from Poland:
B-side of the "Kaskader" single:
DivShare File - Mech.mp3

Sounds totally NWOBHM/Boogie inspired to me.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Thanx alot for the uploads! I'll dive into this info in the coming week - have to prepare for this weekend's record fair in the next few days...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Prowler wrote:Listen to the whole song, I don't know how to label their style. Starting as Rock then getting faster with doublebass drums at the end Heavy Metal solos, the other track sounds similar, almost epic:
Index Y (Cze)”Zas uz v tom litam/To se stava” 7”EP 86
DivShare File - Index Y.mp3

Markyz John (Cze)”Lesni Muz/Ve Stinu Slovanske Lipy” 7”EP 89 (both trax)
DivShare File - Markyz John.mp3

John Dovanni (Cze)”Nejde to” 7”EP 91
DivShare File - John Dovanni.mp3

While looking thru my list I found these too:
Arena (Cze)"Hrdina z k nizky/Bezi serial 7"EP 1986
Vilem Cok a Spol (Cze)”Televize/Sen” 7”EP 88
Karamel (Cze)”Finska Sauna/Strelnice” 7”EP 85
Karamel (Cze)”Ma hlava je telefoni seznam/Navrat z kosmu” 7”EP 84
Krizek (Cze)”Zlatej Chlapec/Posledni Den Jsi Ma” 7”EP 91
Michal Penk (Cze)“Horsi kdyz se neotevre padak/Jsem asi cvok“ 7“EP 87
Michal Penk (Cze)“Hydromaniac/Ma daleka“ 7“EP 88
Michal Penk (Cze)”Odpust’te nam/Hlad me” 7”EP 89
Nova Ruze (Cze)”Ten stroj ses ty/Nenapravitelny hrich” 7”EP 89
Nova Ruze (Cze)”Zly svedomi/Teleci leta” 7”EP 90
Odyssea (Cze)”Horecka patecni noci/Backora Blues” 7”EP 85
Odyssea (Cze)”Hrajem vsechno/Nekdy si vzpomen” 7”EP 85
Tanja (Cze)“Thava cesta/Pulnocni stiny“ 7“EP 88
Tanja (Cze)”Nad hlavou leta rokenrol/Par prani” 7”EP 89

Basically in remembrance that it's your "complete encyclopedia" but if the Messlatte are singles like the ones of Vilem Cok, Karamel, Signal, Extra Band, first Turbo (Pol) and few others, then there's definitely no "excuse" to not feature bands like Nova Ruze, Odyssea, Turbo (Cze), some Katapult or even late 80's Olympic material. It definitely can't be a wrong turn ... :?
Been doing some catching up on this list (most of which I've heard before). Some comments:

Mech - That B-side is decent 70's Hard Rock, but nothing really 'proto-metallic' about it in my ears. (I got dozens of Yugoslavian singles in this style that didn't make the list either...)

Markyz John - This is a weird one. Horrible, horrible schmalz production on the A-side, but some neat parts as well. I'm expecting a copy of this and will listen more to it then...

Index Y - This song was decent Rush-proggy melo-hr but I still think it's just below the Heaviness level for the page atm.. Still curious about that 2nd single though. (The 3rd was awful...)

John Dovanni, Arena, Vilem Cok, Karamel, Michal Penk - Nope, doesn't sound like something for this list at all.

Nova Ruse - Such a weird band... I think Vilem's new wave origins shine through a bit too much at times, and overall they're very Mainstream Rock, even though there's a few heavier riffs in there.

Odyssea, Tanja - Almost eligible, but still very mainstream/middle-of-the-road rock at heart. Would like to hear Odyssea's "Hrajem Všechno" 7" coz I can't find the music anywhere..

About me still featuring:
...Vilem Cok
- Purely for oddity/novelty-points, it being a Metal Parody and all.

...Karamel
- The B-side of their debut really is Metal - nothing else with this band is.

...Signal
- The 7" B-side is Proto-Metal of a highly unusual level of heaviness.

...Extra Band
- I know, not that much heavier than Tanja or Odyssea, but well.. yeah, maybe a little bit heavier still if you ask me. There's the odd nwobhm-like riff in them that I can't hear in any of their contenders.

...first Turbo
- I'm not sure I would have included it if it weren't for the bands later history as Real Heavy Metal. See also GORDI, KANAL III...

Generally I don't want to include too many borderline-hr/hm titles coz it would just be me spewing bile over them again and again = not that interesting a read. It's a very hard line to draw tho' and I realize my personal preferences might not always seem consistent, but what can you do...
Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

I really admire your work on FWOEHM singles encyclopaedia, and is surely one of the greatest articles on metal-related subjects on the Net. I have one small suggestion, and that is the inclusion of the "Rejects" list on the end of the article (like the one on "707 Inches of Swedish Steel" and which would include all releases mentioned on this topic which have been rejected, plus the others you have encountered so far and considered off-topic), as that would make easier for other readers to know what has been suggested and rejected so far.

Few releases which aren't listed, but might be eligible:

Probably not eligible, but just wondering if you have heard Nervozni Poštar's singles: http://www.discogs.com/artist/1062937-N ... o%C5%A1tar
They played mix of hard rock and folk music.

Furthermore, there is Divlje Jagode single "Turski Marš/Konji", which features two non-exclusive tracks from their LP "Konji", which could be mentioned for sake completeness.

Atomsko Sklonište - "Generacija sretnika" is another single which might be included, but is probably among those rejected ex-Yu singles you have mentioned.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Lord_Sauron wrote:I have one small suggestion, and that is the inclusion of the "Rejects" list on the end of the article (like the one on "707 Inches of Swedish Steel" and which would include all releases mentioned on this topic which have been rejected, plus the others you have encountered so far and considered off-topic), as that would make easier for other readers to know what has been suggested and rejected so far.
Been thinking about that too, and yes, I think it's time to put something like that together. There will probably be a small update to the page in a week or 2 so maybe then...

Probably not eligible, but just wondering if you have heard Nervozni Poštar's singles: http://www.discogs.com/artist/1062937-N ... o%C5%A1tar
They played mix of hard rock and folk music.
Heard the band before, yes. That's a pretty cool & original sound but the combination of not-so-Metaldom + non-exclusive material rules them out I think.
Furthermore, there is Divlje Jagode single "Turski Marš/Konji", which features two non-exclusive tracks from their LP "Konji", which could be mentioned for sake completeness.
I missed that one, cheers. I think I'll at least add a mention of it in the existing review...
Atomsko Sklonište - "Generacija sretnika" is another single which might be included, but is probably among those rejected ex-Yu singles you have mentioned.
Musically this would perhaps fit, but being on the verge + non-exclusive material = :-(

Got one very rare and interesting-looking ExYugo-single on the way which I hope will be heavy enough to feature - stay tuned...
Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

DaN wrote:...
Thank you for the answer.
I am looking forward to further updates to the article.
Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

Another 7" that might be of interest would be Metak's "Šijavica" from the late 1970's (only the A side, which is exclusive to this single).
You can listen it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwGBHHsEgvM
I know it is probably not eligible, but it can't hurt to suggest it.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Lord_Sauron wrote:Another 7" that might be of interest would be Metak's "Šijavica" from the late 1970's (only the A side, which is exclusive to this single).
Thanx! Almost forgot to address this one. It's solid boogie-hr, but yeah, a bit too typically 70's heavy rock for the page I think. I*m gonna start ripping some of my other ExYugo late 70's/early 80's hard rock singles and make a thread in Poisonoise soon - I have quite a few obscure ones. Even if most of them wouldn't classify as HM there's still some great music to be found there.

Markyz John + one more 7" will be added soon + I've made some small "rejection-lists" for each country that will also show up in the next update.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I love 'reject' lists. Often times for the really odd and obscure stuff it gets pawned off by sellers as something it isn't. When a reject list is coupled with a 'acceptance' list it adds a lot more perspective to why is is rejected.
DaN wrote:
I've made some small "rejection-lists" for each country that will also show up in the next update.
Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

DaN wrote:
Lord_Sauron wrote:Another 7" that might be of interest would be Metak's "Šijavica" from the late 1970's (only the A side, which is exclusive to this single).
Thanx! Almost forgot to address this one. It's solid boogie-hr, but yeah, a bit too typically 70's heavy rock for the page I think. I*m gonna start ripping some of my other ExYugo late 70's/early 80's hard rock singles and make a thread in Poisonoise soon - I have quite a few obscure ones. Even if most of them wouldn't classify as HM there's still some great music to be found there.

Markyz John + one more 7" will be added soon + I've made some small "rejection-lists" for each country that will also show up in the next update.
Looking forward to both update and uploads. My interest is peaked.

@doomedplanet, Me too, for exact the same reason.
Keir

Post by Keir »

doomedplanet wrote:I love 'reject' lists. Often times for the really odd and obscure stuff it gets pawned off by sellers as something it isn't. When a reject list is coupled with a 'acceptance' list it adds a lot more perspective to why is is rejected.
I've been wondering if we should do something like this for the compilopedia. For example, I've picked up a couple local UK comps that I read about in the back of Malc's book which did not make the list.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Keir wrote:
doomedplanet wrote:I love 'reject' lists. Often times for the really odd and obscure stuff it gets pawned off by sellers as something it isn't. When a reject list is coupled with a 'acceptance' list it adds a lot more perspective to why is is rejected.
I've been wondering if we should do something like this for the compilopedia. For example, I've picked up a couple local UK comps that I read about in the back of Malc's book which did not make the list.
Not a bad idea. Need to think about where to place and how to structure it on the site tho'..
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Btw. is there a reason that the Fix 7" from Hungary isn't featured?
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Prowler wrote:Btw. is there a reason that the Fix 7" from Hungary isn't featured?
This Fix ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1-eF1qUK6o

Is that a woman or a man singing ? :shock:
Knowledge Is Power
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

2 more singles + the previously discussed Rejection-lists have been added to the site.

Belated thanx for the FIX-tip, Prowler. I think I rejected them on an early stage, but in retrospect they're not that much heavier than for instance CARAT or LORD. I finally decided to give 'em the axe anyway since it seems the versions on the 7" are the same as on the LP (<---that LP has a couple of good melodic HM tunes though!). There's a comment on them in the Hungarian rejection list at least..