"WARNING! NOT METAL!"-gallery...

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
rumblefist

Re: "WARNING! NOT METAL!"-gallery...

Post by rumblefist »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:57 am
rumblefist wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 pm Malc McMillan is insane.
Not even a second of Hard-Rock or NWOBHM here :

https://www.discogs.com/Stolen-Thunder- ... se/8116920
How does it sound rumblefist?
I'm intrigued by discogs classification of a 1982 release as Heavy Metal/Nu-Metal. :shock: :lol:
Something like Lou Reed or Velvet Underground - surely not even Hard-Rock.
You should read Malc's Book, He admits it.
So, why he included it there ?

This was a bad week for the "NWOBHM obscurities" - Strobe demo of 1982 the previous info i had was it was Punky NWOBHM. Well - It isn't. Lots of acoustic guitar on those 5 tracks but by someone who learned to play it on the same day they got into the studio. Strong candidate to the "Worst Demos Ever". Same goes to the Straw Dogs 7'' of 1983 that some NWOBHM completists
collect - avoid it mate at any cost. It's something like a cross of Tempole Tudor and early UB40 on party. Same goes to the other
Straw Dogs band and that released a demo in 1978 and that was reviewd on the Melody Maker. Well - not even Hard-Rock it is. Just something to help grow headaches on a bad day.

After all these craps i'm more than ready (when it comes to discover NWOBHM obscurities) to some Power-poppish Hard-Rock or garagish Hard-Rock or neo-proggish Hard-Rock.

Best thing of the week is the mighty Flight 19.
Knowledge Is Power
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

rumblefist wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:45 am
bigfootkit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:57 am
rumblefist wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 pm Malc McMillan is insane.
Not even a second of Hard-Rock or NWOBHM here :

https://www.discogs.com/Stolen-Thunder- ... se/8116920
How does it sound rumblefist?
I'm intrigued by discogs classification of a 1982 release as Heavy Metal/Nu-Metal. :shock: :lol:
Something like Lou Reed or Velvet Underground - surely not even Hard-Rock.
You should read Malc's Book, He admits it.
So, why he included it there ?

This was a bad week for the "NWOBHM obscurities" - Strobe demo of 1982 the previous info i had was it was Punky NWOBHM. Well - It isn't. Lots of acoustic guitar on those 5 tracks but by someone who learned to play it on the same day they got into the studio. Strong candidate to the "Worst Demos Ever". Same goes to the Straw Dogs 7'' of 1983 that some NWOBHM completists
collect - avoid it mate at any cost. It's something like a cross of Tempole Tudor and early UB40 on party. Same goes to the other
Straw Dogs band and that released a demo in 1978 and that was reviewd on the Melody Maker. Well - not even Hard-Rock it is. Just something to help grow headaches on a bad day.

After all these craps i'm more than ready (when it comes to discover NWOBHM obscurities) to some Power-poppish Hard-Rock or garagish Hard-Rock or neo-proggish Hard-Rock.

Best thing of the week is the mighty Flight 19.
Thanks for the info rumblefist.
There's a blackly comedic saying amongst football fans that could just as easily apply to those of us still trying to find unknown NWoBHM goodies, "sometimes it's the hope that kills you".
:wink:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:59 pm
Thanks for the info rumblefist.
There's a blackly comedic saying amongst football fans that could just as easily apply to those of us still trying to find unknown NWoBHM goodies, "sometimes it's the hope that kills you".
:wink:
:lol: How True. And most certainly with nu metal in 1982. I guess many of us were 'killed' that way quite a few times.
I am ... the One you warned me of
mustardgasattack

Post by mustardgasattack »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:01 am Demon & Wizard - Evil Possessor (1982) France

The band name, album title, artwork, year of release & song titles all point to this being a worthwhile listen but that's sadly not the case.
Instead it's some weird combination of folk guitars & droning dark sounding analog synthesizers. When it works it's pretty atmospheric & psychedelic in a very off-kilter fashion, but for the other 85% of the record it's grating amateur hour nonsense.
Be forewarned.

Those misleading song titles in full:

01 Prologue
02 Evil Possessor
03 Medieval Holocaust
04 Trip to Hell
05 Faust Revival
06 Cerbere
07 Shakin' The Gates of Hell
08 Black Witch
09 Mrs Peller
10 Epilogue

Here's 'Black Witch', one of the better songs from the record.

[youtube]5Uw079JMlKc[/youtube]
OK you may not agree but I am finding this record to be 100% brilliant and up my alley so far haha!! Reminds me of some Heldon/Richard Pinhas craziness.
Keir

Post by Keir »

R-1264653-1399633582-7760.jpg
R-1264653-1399633582-7760.jpg (206.89 KiB) Viewed 762 times
https://www.discogs.com/master/196031-2 ... rd-Is-Dead

Was browsing some old Rodney Matthews covers and came across this. Wrong kind of steel in this band.
VictimeDelExil

Post by VictimeDelExil »

Keir wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:54 pm R-1264653-1399633582-7760.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/master/196031-2 ... rd-Is-Dead

Was browsing some old Rodney Matthews covers and came across this. Wrong kind of steel in this band.
Steel guitar? Haha
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Keir wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:54 pmWas browsing some old Rodney Matthews covers and came across this. Wrong kind of steel in this band.
Your post inspired me to have a look back at Matthews' album artwork & it was surprising to see how much of his early work for record covers was on folk/acoustic LPs & often in more of a cartoony style than that which he later became known for in the Prog/Metal/Hard Rock fields. Annoyingly, he was equally great & just as distinctive in that early more cartoonish phase.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Keir

Post by Keir »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:58 amYour post inspired me to have a look back at Matthews' album artwork & it was surprising to see how much of his early work for record covers was on folk/acoustic LPs & often in more of a cartoony style than that which he later became known for in the Prog/Metal/Hard Rock fields. Annoyingly, he was equally great & just as distinctive in that early more cartoonish phase.
Yes, I was surprised as well!