80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

Re: 80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Post by DaN »

4 (four!) different Metal Warriors added to the fanzine archive - 3 of them being Belgian ...which of course makes perfect sense since 3 out of every 4 zines ever seem to be from Belgium.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Thanks a lot for the 3 different Belgian Metal Warriors Dan !
Knowledge Is Power
DaN
Administructor

FANZINES now searchable!!

Post by DaN »

It was one of those ooooolde ideas I had for the fanzine archive that felt too complicated to work out at the time, but now I've finally solved all(?) the technical issues and I'm more than a little proud to present a fully working band-search! Quoting myself coz I'm lazy now...
Since the summer of 2019 The Corroseum's fanzine archive has taken a step away from a mere nostalgia-trip and into something potentially useful (...or at least it will be after we've reached about a 1000 zines). Want to read every Acid-interview you can lay your hands on? Wanna see what people thought of that Syrus demo back in the days? Or do you just need to gulp down anything on Metallica or Satan's Pharynx? Play around with the box below

- Only band/artist names are indexed, and only if they are properly featured as with an interview, review or article. Note that the distinction between 'Review' and 'Article' are rather fuzzy in plenty of these publications, so keeping both those boxes checked can be a good idea if that's what you're looking for.

- The News-sections in the zines are often a hidden gold mine when it comes to obscure trivia, and is also good example of the kind of information that is not searchable in the current state of this database.

- The search isn't case-sensitive, but avoid umlauts and accents when searching, i.e. "Sortilége" and "Lääz Rockit" will yeld zero results - "Sortilege" and "Laaz Rockit" works better.

- Please report any search errors (missing results, false positives etc..) via our contact page.
Let me know how it works out for you. (Also another 11 fanzines added...)
rumblefist

Re: FANZINES now searchable!!

Post by rumblefist »

Thanks Dan !!!

I like specially The Heavy Duty and the Metal Glory zines.
But i've just started diving into all these.
Very useful information about 80's Demos for what i could see.
Cheers to Roman and to everyone involved in scanning and in sharing.
Knowledge Is Power
DaN
Administructor

Re: FANZINES now searchable!!

Post by DaN »

Yeah, it's mostly the demo-reviews that make the whole indexing and searchability-work worth the effort. (The world can probably live without another dozen reviews of the last Nuclear Assault EP, ha ha..)
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It's the last day of my summer vacation and I'm glad to have finished another big update before work/hellweek begins - among other things another bunch of zines. This time german readers can rejoice: 22 German fanzines, most of them from the collection of Roman/OmenOfSteel. Hails, brother!

Next batch will be more English ones, in a month or so..
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Thanks Dan !
Thanks Roman !

Will try after checking the ones i downloaded (no comedy zines for me) to comment. There are here some of i never read previously. But it seems that even the ones with less interesting content for me as the "Totentanz", have some good demo sections and cool vine reviews. Let's see if i understand something deep into all this german....

Good comeback to your job !
Knowledge Is Power
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

rumblefist wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:49 pm Will try after checking the ones i downloaded (no comedy zines for me)
Well, I'm keen to find Slaughter Tit's Breast & Milk LP now.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
THRASHER BE

Post by THRASHER BE »

A very cool feature Dan, one I will use a lot for sure to dig up info on some obscure stuff!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Ernest Thesiger wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:09 am
rumblefist wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:49 pm Will try after checking the ones i downloaded (no comedy zines for me)
Well, I'm keen to find Slaughter Tit's Breast & Milk LP now.
Sod murders, church burnings and "Cold Lake" - joke bands & zines are the real Dark Side of Heavy Metal history.

Anyways, with permission I've just borrowed 11 zines from the great Peruvian blog Fanzines del Mundo and added them to The Corroseum fanzine database. NOTE that's there's a lot more worthy material on this blog so you should still check out the source. I also scanned and added a couple of my own SoAm zines in the process - list in News as always.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

An important cosmetic update:
The Corroseum wrote:This was really tricky to work out and didn't turn out exactly like I first intended it to, but I THINK I've made some significant improvements to the image slideshows of the fanzine galleries. I've been quite displeased with how it worked in the past, especially on mobile devices and since I'm putting a lot of time and energy into this whole fanzine-database-biz atm I really needed to focus some on presentation & useability. "Simplification" has been the code-word. And Steel! As always.

In the bad, olde Before:
- Pages appeared shrinked to fit the screen. For full-size you had click the tiny "1:1"-button at the bottom, then click it again to shrink back and after that you'd be able to click the tiny "Next"-button.
- The background/gallery-page just got longer & longer with every next popup, which kept stretching the original page out of bounds. This was especially annoying when reading the zines on your phone, coz the images kept floating away into the black space of the ever-increasing gallery background...
- That thumbstrip to the left in the popup served no real purpose and just clogged up the page.

In the good olde Now:
- The page-jpg's always open in original size. No need for a shrink-to-fit function since these aren't fancy holiday photos but a tool for reading olde, poorly xeroxed mags. You can still move around the image by holding down your mouse-button/finger, and pinching to zoom in/out works fine on your phone/tab.
- Clicking outside of the image, in the dark ">>>>"-striped area takes you to the next page (sorry, I looked long & hard but couldn't find a working swipe-alternative for mobiles..). It also brings both the image and the gallery back to the top (might not work 100% on phones together w/ really large images tho'..), which means no more mile-long black backgrounds.
- Bye-bye useless thumbstrip.

Do let me know what you think + please report any errors or weirdness in the Fanzine-thread.
...and 33 more zines added.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Amazing stuff, and new mobile version works better than before :)

I have one issue of Ripping Headaches zine from 89 or so at home which I could scan if needed. Mostly thrash/death metal, Forbidden, Sabbat, Nocturnus etc.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

sovdat wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:16 pm Amazing stuff, and new mobile version works better than before :)

I have one issue of Ripping Headaches zine from 89 or so at home which I could scan if needed. Mostly thrash/death metal, Forbidden, Sabbat, Nocturnus etc.
I Could definitely use an issue of such a classic zine like Ripping Headaches so go right ahead :D
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Great improvements, well done & thanks for your effort!
We praise the blood that metal brings
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Thanks to you and to Roman !

You have a pm, Dan.
Knowledge Is Power