80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
bigfootkit

Re: 80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:08 pm Hey DaN, Cheers for adding Enlightened Chaos nr. 21 and big Cheers to Mr. Stark for opening his archives. Graham, you should take note if you haven't already. These guys seem to have been experiencing 70's renaissance at the time. Now I wonder were/ are they Monster Records related?
Thanks for the tip Noisenik, i'm checking it out right now. It's not too often that you get to read about the likes of Doc Rockit or Poobah. :shock:
I noticed Denis Bergeron & Phil Baker's names in the credits who were the guys behind King Klassic Records & later on, Monster Records too, so you correctly deduced a link between the zine & label. I think Baker died some years ago unfortunately, but Bergeron's still around. He's the man behind the Rockadrome shop & label these days.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

Noisenik wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:08 pm Hey DaN, Cheers for adding Enlightened Chaos nr. 21 and big Cheers to Mr. Stark for opening his archives. Graham, you should take note if you haven't already. These guys seem to have been experiencing 70's renaissance at the time. Now I wonder were/ are they Monster Records related?
Hey there. The editor of the mag, Ray Dorsey, is a friend of mine on Facebook. He's a really nice guy, and I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any of your questions. That being said, Ray is a huge guitar buff, but I don't really think the zine has any ties with the label. I could be wrong though.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

otcmetal wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:54 pm
Hey there. The editor of the mag, Ray Dorsey, is a friend of mine on Facebook. He's a really nice guy, and I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any of your questions. That being said, Ray is a huge guitar buff, but I don't really think the zine has any ties with the label. I could be wrong though.
Hiho! Wow, that is really nice to hear. My first question would be, if he still has dead stock of zines somewhere. Probably not, but who knows, it is a mandatory question, needs to be put. I saw that he had written liner notes for Budgie's debut. I sense huge fandom here. An interview with such a guy would be golden vein of various info.
I am ... the One you warned me of
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

Noisenik wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:45 pm
Hiho! Wow, that is really nice to hear. My first question would be, if he still has dead stock of zines somewhere. Probably not, but who knows, it is a mandatory question, needs to be put. I saw that he had written liner notes for Budgie's debut. I sense huge fandom here. An interview with such a guy would be golden vein of various info.
I sent Ray a message. I'll let you know when he replies.
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

Noisenik wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:45 pm
I asked about back issues, and he definitely has none. He only has a few of the of all the issues he put out, himself. A house he lived in was flooded years ago, and he had to throw away a lot of his belongings because of black mold. As far as an interview, you can contact him through Facebook messenger, if you have it. He's a very friendly dude, so he might be up to it. I'd like to know more myself. Hope that helped.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cool to see you guys shared my infatuation with the Elightened Chaos issues ...and Praise Hail Janne Stark for lending me the originals for scanning!

Yeah it would be super to add an interview with him to the site, so if anyone (octmetal?) wanna pick his mind about it, I'll gladly share my private emai via PM.
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

DaN wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:54 pm Cool to see you guys shared my infatuation with the Elightened Chaos issues ...and Praise Hail Janne Stark for lending me the originals for scanning!

Yeah it would be super to add an interview with him to the site, so if anyone (octmetal?) wanna pick his mind about it, I'll gladly share my private emai via PM.
Actually, Noisenik is going to try to set something up. I really hope it works out, 'cause I know Ray is still a big music fan, and I'm sure he has tons of stories to tell. Besides, my knowledge for the things you guys would be able to come with is vastly inferior to yours. Hahaha
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Corroseum's Metal fanzine archive recently reached the 1000+ featured issues benchmark! Surely a cause of celebrations :D

...and there's still plenty of zines just waiting on my hd to be added and keep the archive growing. A HUGE thanx for all scanning/lending/hoarding contributors through the years - a more proper thanx-list is coming and will be added to the main page in the coming weeks.

On a related note, I just discovered this grrrreat new fanzine-archiving site:

Quite similar to ye olde Send Back My Stamps, but with extra-much old Lithuanian stuff. I've been trying to get in contact w/ admin Mindaugas 'Plix' Lapinskas through the email that was posted on the site but no response in the last few weeks. If anyone has a more up-to-date email, please pm me. Got tons of suitable zines I'd love share for his archive.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:15 pm The Corroseum's Metal fanzine archive recently reached the 1000+ featured issues benchmark! Surely a cause of celebrations :D

...and there's still plenty of zines just waiting on my hd to be added and keep the archive growing. A HUGE thanx for all scanning/lending/hoarding contributors through the years - a more proper thanx-list is coming and will be added to the main page in the coming weeks.

On a related note, I just discovered this grrrreat new fanzine-archiving site:

Quite similar to ye olde Send Back My Stamps, but with extra-much old Lithuanian stuff. I've been trying to get in contact w/ admin Mindaugas 'Plix' Lapinskas through the email that was posted on the site but no response in the last few weeks. If anyone has a more up-to-date email, please pm me. Got tons of suitable zines I'd love share for his archive.
Congrats for hitting (and passing) the "1000" benchmark and thanks for sharing Press of Darkness link. That Morbid Mag no.1... no wonder so many kids went nuts at the time. And I finally could read the whole Peardrops.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Found this interesting fanzine at work today: Holy Metal, from 1987. Christian bands exclusively. VALOR, among others.
Attachments
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (84.17 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Khnud wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:20 pm Found this interesting fanzine at work today: Holy Metal, from 1987. Christian bands exclusively. VALOR, among others.
Hell yeah. Just shows how incredibly secluded and intersectional the White Metal scene could be, seeing as me or anyone I know has ever seen or heard about this Swedish 80's zine before :shock:

Still, it's soon to be added to archive of course 8)
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

love coming here and to read other members posts.
Knowledge Is Power
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Khnud wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:20 pm Found this interesting fanzine at work today: Holy Metal, from 1987. Christian bands exclusively. VALOR, among others.
You find stuff like this at work??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

tbieri wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:31 pm
You find stuff like this at work??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yes, my library receives legal deposit and is in charge of the reserve copy of everything ever printed in Sweden, to be preserved for eternity.

https://sv-m-wikipedia-org.translate.go ... r_pto=wapp
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

It means we also receive things like this.
Attachments
Iron maiden tour posters.jpg
Iron maiden tour posters.jpg (545.35 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight