80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
khiijol

80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Post by khiijol »

Topic edited./aDmiN

i couldn't find an existing thread on this and wasn't sure where to place this, so mods feel free to move this if you please

i've been noticing within the last year or so that a lot of people have been scanning their old fanzines from the 80s and 90s, which is certainly an excellent way to document older and more obscure scenes

i only have a small collection - less than a dozen - of these scanned zines that i've pulled off the internet, but i'd be interested in expanding it in the future. i'm not sure how other members feel about uploading this kind of stuff, but most of this is long out of print and much less likely to resurface in the form of a reprinting, i personally don't see a problem with it. i'll upload all the stuff i have in this thread if deemed kosher by the administration
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Killer idea I think. Like a Corroseum, zine scan gallery on the main page?!
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

I have some too Death Industry (Nr. 4) 1992
Keep politics OUT of this forum
Chafe

Post by Chafe »

I have some chilean old zines too if someone is interested, I think a section of zines separated by language would be a great feature.
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

I definetly support such inniciative great Idea perhaps we coudl include old posters hmmm but I think the best place would be in the Corroseum's website rather than here. We should leave this as a forum only.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Ha, never thought about having a zine-archive on the site but it's an interesting idea. Myself I sold off most of my old zines years ago, but they were mostly punk- or death metal rags c:a 1988-1993.

I guess old underground DM/BM zines from that era would be of interest to a lot of people here, but traditionally it's nothing I've bothered much with on the site due to lack of interest. I might make an exception in this case though..

What I wanna know is who around here collects or owns any NWOBHM/classic Metal/Thrash zines from the 80's and if they are willing and able to scan them?
GJ

Post by GJ »

Well I have some stuff like megalomaniac/candour, hot rockin, heavy metal massacre, hammer, streetfighter, hang 'em high, flotzilla, grey matter...

Not excactly a collection - but rather a gathering of stuff I've come across. I should have an incomplete list (excel) somewhere.

Guess I could scan them some way - a crash course would be appreciated though (rules about formats, resolution and stuff).
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

GJ wrote:Guess I could scan them some way - a crash course would be appreciated though (rules about formats, resolution and stuff).
I could write some sort of guide + standards, but scanners/scanner sofware differs quite a lot so we need to straighten out a few ?'s first. For instance: Should the pics be printer-friendly or just readable on screen? And could anyone help out with some photoshop-work?
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

archival standard is 300 dpi for printed matter (ie non-photographic), which is more than plenty for printer reproduction. i personally like multipaged pdfs as opposed to a loose collection of 25+ jpgs

i could certainly help out with photoshop work
GJ

Post by GJ »

khiijol wrote:i personally like multipaged pdfs as opposed to a loose collection of 25+ jpgs
Agreed! (is file-size a problem?)
King Zombie

Post by King Zombie »

Mines are in .pdf format, I guess there shouldn't be any problem with it. I might get some more if can ask some of my friends and acquaitances to lend me the ones they have.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

GJ wrote:
khiijol wrote:i personally like multipaged pdfs as opposed to a loose collection of 25+ jpgs
Agreed! (is file-size a problem?)
Yeah, pdfs + 300dpi would be ideal but that requires that the contributors know how to make them, or that someone can help out with that bit.

File-size shouldn't be a problem since I figured the rars/pdfs would have to be uploaded somewhere else, like a rapidshare account or similar. Having them constantly downloaded from my own server would eat up too much bandwidth.

Btw, check out the zine-library at France Metal Museum if you haven't already. It's quite inspiring, but I don't think I'll have the time to make something quite as fancy.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I was lucky enough to browse my mate's German underground HM zines from the 80s. His killer mags full of US metal and the old German scene made me very envious!
GJ

Post by GJ »

Are there any copyright issues - legal or moral - to deal with?

How about the dividing line between fanzine/magazine proper?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Nicko McBuff wrote:I was lucky enough to browse my mate's German underground HM zines from the 80s. His killer mags full of US metal and the old German scene made me very envious!
Damn, that reminds of how some years ago, this Sthlm store had a whole bag full of old Metal zines from about 1983 and onwards. I was short on cash when they came in and by the time I had the money they were gone. They probably only cost a few €s each, but there were more than a hundred of them and I know I'll never see something like that offered again.
GJ wrote:Are there any copyright issues - legal or moral - to deal with?

How about the dividing line between fanzine/magazine proper?
About (c)s, I figure a footnote along the lines of "If you are the owner of this publication and want it removed, please contact.." etc. It's a legal gray area, but I'm willing to take a gamble that at least I won't get sued.
The zine/mag-distinction we'll deal with as we go along. More primitive than early Metal Forces = zine, the rest = mag?