Links-dept. reopened!

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
Noisenik

Re: Links-dept. reopened!

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:58 am
DaN wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:20 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:11 amhttps://internetkhole.com/
So utterly perplexing... :shock:
Can't.... Stop.... Scrolling...
Who?
What??
Why???

The 80's in 3 words: Sarcofago and Madonna.

I know, it's utterly overwhelming & i love the complete lack of any context.
I keep expecting to see prople i know/knew but then a goofy 'off duty' pic of a young Jeff Hanneman will pop up out of nowhere.
So many questions, all likely to remain unanswered.
:lol:
It looks like a photo-diary of some young metalhead(-ess), that did not have too much to dream. Close to the source, he/she lived his/her dreams.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Noisenik wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:32 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:58 am
DaN wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:20 pm
So utterly perplexing... :shock:
Can't.... Stop.... Scrolling...
Who?
What??
Why???

The 80's in 3 words: Sarcofago and Madonna.

I know, it's utterly overwhelming & i love the complete lack of any context.
I keep expecting to see prople i know/knew but then a goofy 'off duty' pic of a young Jeff Hanneman will pop up out of nowhere.
So many questions, all likely to remain unanswered.
It looks like a photo-diary of some young metalhead(-ess), that did not have too much to dream. Close to the source, he/she lived his/her dreams.
It looks like a photo-diary of some young metalhead(-ess), that did not have too much to dream. Close to the source, he/she lived his/her dreams. What's wrong with that post, I can't get out of frame. :?
I am ... the One you warned me of
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Yep, those pictures have a deep, true and authentic power. Don’t know who collected those, but they all share a strong feeling of « teenagery » (does that word exist???...) and innocence that is just so evocative to anyone involved in underground cultures before the web (anyway that’s how I feel about it, I was 15 in the early 90ies). Don’t know if those pictures have the same strength with younger people (would love to have opinions on that).
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:04 am Yep, those pictures have a deep, true and authentic power. Don’t know who collected those, but they all share a strong feeling of « teenagery » (does that word exist???...) and innocence that is just so evocative to anyone involved in underground cultures before the web (anyway that’s how I feel about it, I was 15 in the early 90ies). Don’t know if those pictures have the same strength with younger people (would love to have opinions on that).
Innocence initially seems an odd word to use when many of the pics depict things that you wouldn't normally regard as innocent, yet i know exactly what you mean. The eras depicted themselves seem far more innocent to me when viewed from our jaded 2020 perspective, or maybe i'm just a sentimental old coot.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Were those days more innocents, or is it our look and eyes on the world that were more innocents back then (whether we grew on the 70ies, 80ies or 90ies...)??? But I know what you mean, the 2020ies don’t look like it’s gonna be the golden age of innocence, even if some youngsters will probably proove us that we’re wrong (and that’ll be ace!).
I guess we’re pretty sentimental right here as those pictures appel to some parts of ourselves that are part of our identity (trying to be and act subversive, all that lovely stuff we love when into metal or punk or whatever), and we can have deep projections on those (killer) pictures. Would love to know more about the people behind those great collections...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:45 am Would love to know more about the people behind those great collections...
I would too, but on the other hand, maybe there's something about the utter lack of explanation & context that allows us to project our own interpretations upon the photos which adds to that feeling of nostalgia/sentimentality.
Perhaps knowing the stories behind the pix might detract from what the individual takes from them as stand-alone unexplained images.
Sorry for putting on my 'art critic hat' there.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

I do agree 200%. And don’t worry about your « art critic hat », we’re all here very tasteful art critics (loving obscure steel is the proof).
That is like discovering some obscure records during the pre.com days, and you had no informations about it. It really added a mythology to those discoveries. So yeah, it’s probably fine to not have access to some informations and let the magic occur...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

From that Internet K Hole blog:

Same band? :shock:
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Would be great that defunct old italian metal site

what was it's name ? Stilo Strano or Stillo Strano ?

many obscure italian demos and some information from the site was used to submit stuff to M.A. on it's glorious days.
Knowledge Is Power
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Strillo Strano. Yeah, it was great and I'd love to add it to the HM Wayback-Machine. Wonder if anyone has an old contact-email? Marco?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Stumbled across this interesting site which might be a good addition to the links section. It covers the Swiss demo secene of the 80s & 90s and the fella who put it together was decent enough to provide streaming facilities for all the tapes alongside the photo galleries & videos! A Metal site so niche is surely worthy of the Corroseum seal of approval. Of particular interest are the compilation tapes especially the 'Alliance Rock' series which ran to 3 volumes between '85 & '88 and might be worthwhile additions to the compilopedia?

http://www.petp.ch/HeavyTrashDemo/
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Here's an interesting section of a wider ranging general heavy music site. This particular area is on the olde Dutch scene, Martyr, Horizon, Picture, Helloise etc The in-depth history of Martyr is particularly interesting.

https://www.fusewire.nl/dutch-treat

I also remembered another long-gone resource that i used to use a lot which would make a worthwhile addition to the HM wayback machine, a site called Rockdetector. It changed it's name later on & became MusicMight.
It was written & maintained by Gary Sharpe-Young who wrote for Metal Mania, Aardshok & Metal Forces back in the day, wrote many books & also did the artwork for LPs by the likes of Grim Reaper & Queensryche. Lots of biographies on under-the-radar bands, discographies, reviews etc. Unfortunately Young passed away aged just 45 in 2010 so i've no idea how you might go abut potentially accessing his old work or getting permission to necromance it, though the internet archive' Wayback Machine has many different versions of the site partially preserved.

https://noisecreep.com/gary-sharpe-young-dies-at-45/

https://web.archive.org/web/20051001000 ... tector.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MusicMight
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Wow, Rockdetector = pure, refined internet nostalgia. I vaguely remember it going downhill after the change to 'Music Might' though. As for adding it to the HMWM, I think it would be quite tricky to get the rights to do so, plus it might simply be too large...

I liked the look of Fusewire - seems to be photo-focused site. I might contact the editor about his old fanzine :)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:15 am Wow, Rockdetector = pure, refined internet nostalgia. I vaguely remember it going downhill after the change to 'Music Might' though. As for adding it to the HMWM, I think it would be quite tricky to get the rights to do so, plus it might simply be too large...

I liked the look of Fusewire - seems to be photo-focused site. I might contact the editor about his old fanzine :)
Yup, back in the day Rockdetector & Tartare & Desire (is that the right name?) were my go-to spots for arcane musical knowledge. I can't say i remember too much about the MusicMight incarnation as the huge proliferation of music blogs around that time suddenly meant that you were often getting far more detailed biographical & historcal accounts on bands on those sites instead so RD/MM slipped off my radar. With regards to the possibility of preserving the Rockdetector content, i hadn't realised that they/he'd published so many books which no doubt contain a lot of the same content as the old website so it'd probably be far too difficult copyright-wise to use anything, but it's nice to know that much of Young's work still exists in that form rather than being lost forever with his passing.
There's a really interesting & often very funny interview with Young preserved at Metal-Rules which is well worth a look where he tells of how he came to be painting album covers for Ebony Records whilst still at school, among many other fascinating anecdotes from the glory days of HM.

https://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/Rockdetector.htm

And as you still seem to be looking for zine content, you might want to send the fella behind this website an e-mail. He produced 7 issues of a zine called 'Town Hall Steps' between 1981 & 1983, covering his local music scene in the Bolton area. It wasn't an all-Metal affair, but there's a high percentage of obscure NWoBHM content throughout the mag's run, including the likes of Shader, Medusa, Export, Stormchild, Buffalo, Wolfpack, Dark Star, Fireclown, 100% Proof, Sister Rose, Twisted Ace etc as well as a debut issue exclusive interview with Black Sabbath.
He's scanned all 7 issues & put them on the site, and although they aren't of the high standard employed by you here, they're perfectly legible. Perhaps a kind e-mail might persuade him to share higher quality scans of the zine here, or failing that, according to the site's 'Update' section he still has copies of most of the original back issues available for the price of postage only. :shock:

https://www.townhallsteps.co.uk/issues.html

And, in case you missed my earlier post, this site on the olde 80s/90s Swiss scene is a must-see. Streaming mp3s of compete demos, videos, pics, bios, they've got it all.

http://www.petp.ch/HeavyTrashDemo/

Whew, hope you enjoy perusing that little lot. That's your weekend sorted/ruined. :lol:
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Can we re-open the MotorCityRock site please? I loved the old flyers, posters and soundclips of obscure Detroit Rock bands... :roll:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...